Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Solo?

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps

Unhappy Going Solo?

I've been wanting to go on a solo hang for a while now but there's one thing: I don't think I could do it.

I can't sleep. I've tried practicing in the back yard but every time I end up coming back in. My senses go wild and play tricks on me. I get nervous at every sound. If I were in the woods... It could only be worse. the wind would make me apprehensive!

My question to you all is: How do you do it?

How do get get over, well, every thing. Being alone makes me more paranoid than anyone could imagine. especially since I am a tent to hammock convert. tents always gave me that little psychological barrier.
    leap and the net will appear
    -zen saying

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    That's funny, I just posted something about this kind of thing in another solo camping thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    Here's a suggestion from my experience. Don't camp too close to a rushing river. I did that once. It masked all other sound. It had me freaked right out knowing something could approach and I wouldn't hear it. I spent the day looking over my shoulder. My imagination was playing tricks on me. I didn't see anything that was actually a concern.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Oh yeah.. my solution was to keep myself busy. By the time it was bed time I was tired enough to sleep without much trouble.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    A couple ideas for you, even though I do not share the same apprehension that you do about being alone. If you are going on a hike, hike long and hard. I fell asleep face down on the bench of a picnic table when I got back from climbing Half Dome. That was about 15-16 miles, 5000' of elevation gain/descent, and about a 20 hour day. I don't care if there was a bear licking my face, I was gonna sleep.

That may be a bit extreme, so here's a couple more reasonable ideas. For the psychological barrier, use a tarp, and pitch it low and steep. Creates that same, closed in feeling that you get in a tent, or at least something similar for me. For the noise, some good earplugs, or an MP3 player of sorts. I fell asleep to my iPod almost every night in Yosemite, just because there was still quite a bit of noise between people chatting and laughing around campfires and cars driving around. That did the trick for me.

All in all, though, that apprehension isn't necessarily a bad thing. Think of it as a way to get stronger, mentally. If you feel comfortable enough in your skills, take an easy overnighter, far enough away from your car where, when that apprehension sets in at night when you are laying down, you can't run home for safety. Like I said, make sure you are prepared for the actual risks, whether it be storms, cold, heat, animals, etc. Make the overnighter's purpose solely about overcoming that fear.

Have you gone on any overnight trips with other's while using your hammock?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love it and do it often....matter of convenience for the most part....no one can go when I want to go!
    It is not for everyone.....but I am a spirited introvert so I enjoy it.
    Plus I make videos on the trail and that is fun.
    Here is one where I met up with a huge Timber wolf on the trail))))) He was more scared of me.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I started camping too young to remember when and grew out of the fears of the mind over the years. You are just beginning it seems and my advice is little bites at a time. Maybe solo car camp just far enough out to reduce the noise of the city and go farther from there. Face your imagination so to know what is real and what is not. Like the Nike ad says, just do it.

How do I do it? Mostly by laughing at myself for silly fears that don't exist...a good flashlight will show you that. In many years of outside stuff the worst reality ever was skunks trying to raid my food...a .22 between the eyes ended that when they got too brazen. You want scary? Try shooting a skunk from 15 feet...miss the head shot and stuff gets real ugly real fast.

Campfire stories BTW. When I was young the story of the Wendigos kept me paranoid for many years (wind in the trees was the worst). Sooner or later we grow out of it by seeing the silly of it...maybe that is the real reason for these stories.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 06-22-2011 at 14:08.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I know how you feel - not bad, but a little bit. I remember listening to little critters (mice?) in the leaves next to my tent. But this was a loooong time ago. You'll get over this apprehension, and you may be surprised at how quickly you do. The best thing to insure a good night's sleep is to be warm, well fed, and tired. It's much easier to sleep after a day of hiking. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It can be a little scary to go solo at times. But, I like some people, have trouble finding people to go with me. So, I hit the trail solo and have never had a problem. Most the time I hear russling in the woods it will be a deer. Also, I got a dog for the purpose of having a trail companion. She's already done a few overnighters and doing well on long hikes.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    It can be a little scary to go solo at times. But, I like some people, have trouble finding people to go with me. So, I hit the trail solo and have never had a problem. Most the time I hear russling in the woods it will be a deer. Also, I got a dog for the purpose of having a trail companion. She's already done a few overnighters and doing well on long hikes.

Fronkey
    +1...or 2 as my case is with the dogs! My dogs are great company and they love to hike and camp with me!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    As discussed in another thread, I carry. I am going on a local 2 night solo kayak trip starting tomorrow, NOT wilderness, but very rural. I like the sound of the water, and have hung over small streams. Around here it is fine to lay down and sleep anywhere, on the ground. But we don't have anything poisonous. Just coyotes, and bad dogs, and sometimes coons with distemper.Even down south, I would think you would be fine in a hammock. Drink a bunch of beer, or take some sleep inducing pills, til your brain knows it's gonna be fine. And I still wake up and point a flashlight around sometimes when I am way out in BFE.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast