Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    As far as i know, they are delivered in the same size stuff sack. Of course the 3s incubator will be"softer" and have easier to conform to your pack.
    Thanks for the picture Bomber!

So I have decided to go with the winter incubator. I don't mind carry the extra weight and have the flexibility the winter incubator will offer.

I was thinking that maybe the 3/4 would be a good choice, but I think comfort wise and convenience the full length will be the way to go. Especially if I am planning on going out in colder temps.

I am 98% sure I am going with the full length if anyone has any thoughts before I pull the trigger on the incubator I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks again.

Shug your videos are always entertaining and informative!

Everyone else you also provided me with a lot of information which is greatly appreciated!

This is probably the nicest forum I have come across on the internet!

This may be a stupid question. I am just deciding on the color. I was leaning towards black on the outside and silver on the inside. I remember hearing somewhere that mosquito are attracted to black. I don't know if it is true but should I be concerned about what color I get. I know it won't affect the performance but just wondering haha.

Stupid question I know.

Hammock
    HH Xped w/2QZQ#4 and HH ULBA
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenx|7DBurrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/DCs
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink View Post
    This may be a stupid question. I am just deciding on the color. I was leaning towards black on the outside and silver on the inside. I remember hearing somewhere that mosquito are attracted to black. I don't know if it is true but should I be concerned about what color I get. I know it won't affect the performance but just wondering haha.

Stupid question I know.
    i have a black & silver winter phoenix...great color combo!!
    Bring a GPS...It's awkward when you have to eat your buddies.

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Stupid question I know.
    Color choice is important to many. Prefer black to allow for maybe a bit more rapid drying out of any moisture in and on the quilts from me or the air. One thing I discovered about going warmer than needed on the under quilt side is staying comfortable using a lighter tq. With the winter Yeti I'm more than toasty down into the lower 50*F with a +60*F top quilt. Too warm on the bottom. Just play around with venting the uq. Having a cool/cold bottom side makes even an overkill tq feel cold. If you pack any spare clothing, raingear just use it as a foot pad to keep the feet/calf warm. Otherwise a short chunk of ccf works fine under most conditions plus doubles up as a butt/sit pad.

Have used JRB MTW & WB Yeti. Full or partial is a personal choice based on needs. Personally I've moved towards the partials. For real winter camping would go with the full. But I'm a wimp and stay home once night time temps drop below the teens.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

Stupid question I know.
    Even the bio-engineered, ginormous, and voracious mosquitos that are in fact the state "bird" of Georgia couldn't bite you thru 4+ inches of loft on a winter Incubator. If you're really worried, I'd get a bug net or a hammock with one built in like the Blackbird. I've never heard of color attracting mosquitos, but I don't know much about the behavior of the local scourge you have up in Ontario.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    From the University of Wisconson...

Dark Colored Clothing

Clothing that does not reflect much light is usually more attractive than more reflective clothing.

In practical terms, black or dark-hued clothing of any color is often more attractive to many types of nuisance mosquitoes than light (white, khaki, green, or yellow) clothing.

Several studies indicate that mosquitoes belonging to the genera Aedes or Ochlerotatus prefer dark colors over light colors. These studies will be summarized below. Caution should be exercised in assuming these results apply to other genera, especially Anopheles, for which there is limited data suggesting that lighter colors (yellow and white) may be preferred (Ko, 1925).

Brett (1938), Brown (1951, 1954, 1955) and Gjullin (1947) established color preference in some mosquitoes by exposing them to different colored cloths, either as clothing on human volunteers, stretched over a box which enclosed a human hand, or in studies using temperature controlled robots. The general order of preference was black (most attractive); red (very attractive); blue (attractive to neutral), green, yellow, and white (less attractive).
    Additional tidbits from them...
    1. Eating garlic or taking vitamin B tablets don't work to reduce mosquito bites.
    2. There is no evidence that wearing scented lotions or perfumes attracts mosquitoes.
    3. Drinking alcohol may increase your attractiveness to mosquitoes.
    4. There is no evidence that increasing the population of bats in an area will reduce the numbers of mosquitoes enough to affect human biting rates.
    5. Purple Martins do not control mosquitoes.
    6. Most adult frogs and tadpoles don't eat mosquitoes.
    7. One type of turtle, the red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta) has been used for control of mosquito larvae.
    Last edited by beep; 06-27-2011 at 10:49.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Thanks guys. I am not to worried about mosiquotos. Especially because the switchback does come with a net. Haha I was more or less just curious what everyone thought of the different colour options. I am the worst at making decisions when it comes down to the little details.

I wish they still had the brown available but I think I am going to go with the black outside and silver inside.

Now I just have to decide the length. I am leaning towards the full length but I have not completely convinced myself that is the best choice.

Thanks agian for all your replys!

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks guys. I am not to worried about mosiquotos. Especially because the switchback does come with a net. Haha I was more or less just curious what everyone thought of the different colour options. I am the worst at making decisions when it comes down to the little details.

I wish they still had the brown available but I think I am going to go with the black outside and silver inside.

Now I just have to decide the length. I am leaning towards the full length but I have not completely convinced myself that is the best choice.

Thanks agian for all your replys!
    HG has DWR Woodland Camo...that's what we went with for 3S and Winter inclubator...

Hey Everyone

Thanks for all your help. So the other day I placed an order for the winter incubator and a pillow.

I figured the extra few ounces will be worth it for now and in the future. After all the extra weight between the winter and 3 season is an ounce heavier than my cell phone. So very minimal.

However I could see myself in the future ordering a summer or a 3 season phoniex when weight is more of an issue but for now I am really excited for the incubate! All this time trying to decide looking on here and the hammock gear website I know want to buy a burrow haha.

Thanks again everyone.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    You won't be sorry. I love my winter Incubator, but I'm currently planning a huge DIY project to make a summer partial uq, summer tq, and 3 season tq to complete the quilt gambit. I figure the winter Incubator can handle any cold the south can throw at it (and then some), but the summer partial uq will cover the rest of the time when it's warm/hot. The two tq's should cover cool-warm weather and I can always use both if I ever encounter truley frigid temperature (not too likely). Now, I just need to order some Momentum!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123