Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    BearPawTent
    Insulation
    SS Winternest
    Images
    We have hammocked in Fundy, Kejimkujik and Highlands NPs even invited the park staff to come by and check it out. They thought they were great.

NS Provincal parks have contacted our group to see how they can make parks more hammock-friendly.

I guess the east coast is the best coast

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    What was their reasoning for saying they would remove you? Luckily I have not encountered any problems in any provincial parks so far.
    In organizing the Ontario Bon Echo Hang last year, we did a bunch of leg work in this regard with Ontario Parks. Hammock and tarps do not count as shelters towards any site maximums as far as Ontario Parks is concerned. That being said, the wise thing to do is to keep the spirit of the rules in mind.

This is also the reason that I like back country camping. It is very unlikely that anyone is going to come check up on you. Also keep in mind that your hammock is part of your sleeping system and it is your tarp that is your actual shelter. Further to the semantics game, you are using a suspended tent and not a hammock.

I haven't had occasion to use a national park so I can't comment on how well this ruling with Ontario Parks would work.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Desilva View Post
    In Canada the rule is that you can't damage a tree so webbing is fine as the bark is left ok. In the US from what l've heard, they don't want the trees damaged either but the rule is no tying things to trees. Which rules out webbing, even though it does no damage.
    The US has as many different variations of rules as any place on earth. Semantics plays a HUGE role in how things are viewed and enforced. Technically webbing is not "TIED TO THE TREE." It is looped around and cinched. They don't want rope and such. It is really tough to tie webbing.

It depends on who you get snooping around. ex: when we were going from Canada to the US many years ago my folks could always tell whether they were being questioned by an immigration official or a customs official. The immigration official couldn't care less about stuff in the car. The people in the car were what was important. The customs guy was the opposite.

Are you being snooped by a game focused official or a forestry focused official? Or are you being snooped by a paper pusher who has never spent a night outside? They are going to care about totally different subsets of use.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I was at Frontenac Provincial Park on the weekend and I asked and they had no issues at all with a hammock. Mayve because they are a backcountry park they see more of this than say Bon Echo or other parks that cater to car camping.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

My Solution

So what is a tent? Some fabric, with some mesh, with a tarp and some tie-outs? I say, never use the word 'hammock' just call it an asymetrical multi-use ultralight tent. When Ranger Dudley arrives, just tell him you are hanging your asymetrical multi-use ultralight tent up to dry. If he persists to be annoying just go to ground and then complain about how uneven the ground is in the camp sites. When his shift ends and the next guy shows up, buy that guy a beer and tell him how awesome he is cause the last guy was a real jerk. He'll probably agree with you. Oh yeah, make sure you bring up his buddy AFTER he's had the beer.
    Please enter your signature here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12