Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parks Canada need to walk the talk on LNT

There needs to be a standard policy regarding hammocks in national and provincial parks. It's ridiculous. Parks Canada is a founding partner of LNT. Hennessy Hammocks are a corporate sponsor of LNT. And yet on the Parks Canada site, there’s no mention of hammocks, it’s all about tents.
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/voyage-trave...c02.aspx#tents

Time and time again, we are come face to face with total ignorance by Park officials. Yesterday I called Georgian Bay Islands National Park and was told I would be "removed from the Park" for using a Hennessy hammock instead of a tent.

Tents are not LNT, hammocks are. Time for Parks Canada to walk the talk?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    What was their reasoning for saying they would remove you? Luckily I have not encountered any problems in any provincial parks so far.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Are you assuming that a governmental agency has common sense? Oh to be young....
    Down here we have bureaucrats that believe a hammock is not a "camping unit" - check out that thread.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Parks Canada and most other parks organizational bodies are not necessarily conservationists . Their mostly in the business of tourist management. When there got to be too many people they made designated tent sites because the history of tourist camping is almost solely about tents.They furthered that effort with tent pads and designated fire pits. Its a good idea givin the situation and the intelligence level of your average camper.. Along with the theme of preserving the campsite area and trails LNT started and not damaging the trees is a part of it. Hammocks are coming late to the party and there will be a period of learning and adjustment but i would be careful about bringing US to their attention. It might be better to discuss it with the particular ranger at the time of "the bust".
    Last edited by mbiraman; 06-23-2011 at 11:05.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    Camped in Jasper National Park last weekend and was told a hammock was okay in a designated campground as long as the hammock was placed over an existing tent site. The ranger came by and there were no issues. Not sure what the status of park rangers is like in other parks but apparently there used to be 48 rangers in Jasper but now there are 6. I think they have bigger issues than dealing with a well placed hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    ... It might be better to discuss it with the particular ranger at the time of "the bust".
    The old beg forgiveness instead of ask permission route, me likey .
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I chatted on the phone with the rangers at Gros Morne about using a hammock and the only warning they gave me was for part of my trek there likely won't be usable trees.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    I chatted on the phone with the rangers at Gros Morne about using a hammock and the only warning they gave me was for part of my trek there likely won't be usable trees.
    It seems to me that might be the case in a lot of developed campgrounds. Then there are one's with a problem over tying anything to a tree.

I'd like to have clarity around the rules so that I'm not wondering if I have to carry a tent with me as well as the hammock in case I run into difficulties with a ranger.

Parks Canada want to encourage more people to visit, it's the basis of their centenary campaign. And they want people to leave no trace. Permitting hammocks would be a good way of satisfying both objectives.

Funny enough, Hennessy Hammocks are located in Elizabeth May's riding. I just emailed her, curious to see what all this Green party stuff is all about and if I get more than just some pat response will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Then there are one's with a problem over tying anything to a tree.
    In Canada the rule is that you can't damage a tree so webbing is fine as the bark is left ok. In the US from what l've heard, they don't want the trees damaged either but the rule is no tying things to trees. Which rules out webbing, even though it does no damage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast