Howdy ya'll! First a little info. I'm a 30 yr old dude out in Northern California(right in the middle of the valley).

Honestly I can't tell ya how i got the urge for info on hammocking, it must have sparked from my interest in bushcraft and the such.

Anyhow, a little while back, I tried to make a hammock. My wife gracious donated the old curtains (she got new ones) and proceeded to make a gathered end hammock. Made it double layered (the fabric was thick cotton cloth, about like denim). The darned thing was wayyyyyyyy to short. I am 6'1" and i'm pretty sure the fabric was only around 7' or so. Well, after a couple nights in it, PLOP! right onto the ground ( i should have known better, considering they had been hanging on the sunny window for a few years). Thankfully it was time for me to wake up anyway.

So with a dreary heart I headed back home and made a stab at another hammock. I bought some 1.9 oz ripstop nylon from Joann's Fabrics and set off on a journey to build me a better hammock.

Got the thing all sewn up. It's a gathered ender, single layer of 1.9oz ripstop, about 8' long after all the hemming and channels (i still think a little longer would be good). Suspension include 6' tubular webbing(rated at 4000lbs, I know, GEEZ) attached to that are 6' whoopie slings, which were made from 1200lb single braid cord (not amsteel, but i couldn't find amsteel at my local surplus/camping store), the other end of the whoopie attached to the end of the hammock.

Have been testing it out off and on today at home here and am quite thrilled with it. Although a little long would be cool, I still love it. Seems to hold my 180lb frame just fine even being single layered.

Next up for it is a bug net, that should be interesting. I have seen some stuff about sewing it to the hammock, which is what i probably will do, but it looks like it involves funky angles and shapes. Oh well, I'll make sense of it at some point.

Nice to meet you all. Special thanks to Grizz for the great videos on the suspension systems. They were a HUGE help!!!!