Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Long-Term Hammock Durability

Hello everyone, I'm new to hammock camping but I've convinced myself that it's the direction I want to go insofar as collecting up my own camping gear. I want a hammock which I could use **** near all the time without repair and replacement. For the sake of this discussion, please assume that I am going out into the wilderness to catalogue new species, and want something dependable and requiring as little upkeep as possible. What would be likely to fail first? Zippers / Velcro on bug nuts (e.g. Hennessey vs. Clark)? Fraying or damage of the hammock structure? If I have a well enclosed model, should I worry about mildew inside from night after night of my own body's moisture? I'm sure that this is different for every individual commercial model, so if there are specific models that seem well suited to lasting for a long time with minimal maintenance, I'd appreciate your experience and sage advice.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Howdy from Texas...
    I am not sure if I have had to do any maintnance on any of my hammocks since 2009.
    I use my Hennessy Expedition the most due to it having the attached bug net. This hammock had the zipper mod done by 2Q and has held up well.
    Regardless of the brand of the hammock, just a little care while in use, like not setting up close to a fire so the ambers dont end up on your bug net or sleep with a sharp object that could poke a hole or store it when wet or damp you outta get your moneys worth regardless what you are doing in the
    wilderness.
    I guess you can set your self up on a routine system inspection schedule, apply bar soap to the zippers every 1500 hours or so and keep a needle and thread and a roll of duct tape in a repair kit.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    All the higher end hammocks will last a while as long as you take care of them. Routine inpection care and proper use will ensure longer life. Hammocks are like any outdoor gear you get. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Suspension would be at the top of my list to check. The adjustments and hardwear involved can cause wear and warrant replacement. Because hammocks bear your weight, seams are important to keep intact. If wet, allow to dry before storage. Wash periodically as needed.

Just my two cents. There are some on here that have put hundreds of nights on their hammocks so hopefully they will chime in.
    Last edited by Bubba; 06-23-2011 at 07:37.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    All the higher end hammocks will last a while as long as you take care of them. Routine inpection care and proper use will endsure longer life. Hammocks are like any outdoor gear you get. Take care of it and it will take car of you.
    Suspension would be at the top of my list to check. The adjustments and hardwear involved can cause wear and warrant replacement. Because hammocks bear your weight, seams are important to keep intact. If wet, allow to dry before storage. Wash periodically as needed.
    Just my two cents. There are some on here that have put hundreds of nights on their hammocks so hopefully they will chime in.
    Didn't Ed Speer have a failure with one of his hammocks ( the red one on the cover of his book?) after 5000 hours? About 625 nights?

Plus, Ed is not exactly obese. So I bet he was not even using the heavier duty hammock he offered, and his were single layer. Almost all hammocks are made of nylon, so I would imagine any of the hammocks from the well respected manufacturers would be good for a year or two of continuous use, with proper care.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Many have used a hammock on thru hikes (5 months plus) and the hammock is still ready to rock.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The biggest issue you will face is the UV damage from sun exposure. There is no way to get around that. It is the nature of the beast. So if you are planning to leave the hammock up all day whilst you monitor the feeding habits of the river piranha week after week you can expect the fabric to fail sooner than if you take it down each morning and stow it in the dark.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Most failures occur from negligence. Dragging it on the ground, packing sharp instruments against it, sticks, etc. The one I hear the most is that someone left a stake in their pocket and sat down in the hammock.
    I have an indoor hammock with at least a hundred nights on it. Going strong.

As for your mildew question- The fabric will dry quickly and allowing the hammock to breath free as you make breakfast is usually sufficient to dry up any "body moisture". Never pack wet gear away for extended periods (days or weeks). Once your home from a trip, hang and inspect, allow it to dry completely and then store it away. Hand wash as necessary, and hang dry.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have a claytor that I have hung in more nights than not for three plus years and it is still going strong. The zipper seems a little wonky (technical term my wife uses) I suspect it will need replacing eventually. UV and moisture are the biggest threats, shade and drying will help prevent those things from damaging. I think tents are much more susceptable to wear and tear because of being on the ground with grit, moisture, sand, etc.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I had a diy nylon ripstop single layer that stayed outside in pine trees for a couple months. It saw some hard use from kids, a dog, and large drunk people using it as a swing. It finally ripped from a monster windstorm blowing it into branches. The only problems I have had are with poor suspension choices, and poor sewing on my part. I have been pleasantly surprised at the durability of the lightweight nylon. I would not hesitate to head out for any length of time, and plan on having a functional hammock. And a small repair kit goes a long way, just in case.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I still hike with the hammock I used on my 2008 AT hike. It is far from pretty these days, but I still trust it completely. I've switched out the suspension a number of times, but most of the switches have been a result of boredom more than need. However, I do agree that the suspensions are going to be the weak points of the system so I check them for wear on a regular basis. Some webbing holds up better than others, but in general, I'd say a suspension should last a year under heavy use without failing. After that, I'd rather be safe than sorry and change out the suspension.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast