Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ New River

What would you Do

Well, I have been trying to convert my Dad and brother into grand hammockters and their first trip was this weekend, friday night. We have had some pretty rough storms lately (really bad wind) and it is suppose to rain all day today. It is only a 30% chance tomorrow and that is only for like 3 hours. I will have my equipment but I hate to take them out after telling them about all the great times you can have in a hammock and then for them to get soaked and be miserable all weekend. I know I would probably stay dry and and have told them to bring a wally world tarp just in case but hey there it is. What would you do. We will be backpacking for a few miles and then camping primitive style. I will probably go I just hate going by myself.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    I'd let them take tents as usual. At some stage over the weekend they'll have a little swing in your hammock. Usually takes about 30 seconds and a lightbulb goes off.
    At the very least you will be high and dry. I've often found that 'converting' people to a cause is pretty much a non-starter with a lot of folk. Most of the time you kind of have to let them discover things themselves. And setting up your hammock might just give them a chance to do that.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'd let them take tents as usual. At some stage over the weekend they'll have a little swing in your hammock. Usually takes about 30 seconds and a lightbulb goes off.
    +1 on that!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    A lot depends on if your guests have been backpacking/tenting/camping before.

I feel like backpacking in inclement weather is an interesting situation for people new to it. I have been out with 2 guys that hiked in rain and got soaked and setup and were stuck in a tent all day and one of the guys loved it, the other hated it. I feel that some people are inclined to like being in situations like that and for others it could ruin their outlook on the outdoors (fair-weather campers ).

+1 on tents for their sleeping arrangements and getting them out even if it is a bit wet. If you are truly concerned, hike in a shorter distance so you are closer to the car and they won't have to hike in the rain too long. With this approach, you can still dayhike if they are feeling frisky or if it ends up not raining at all.

+1 on what you mentioned about bringing a WW tarp. One of the limitations of them being in a tent is if it does end up raining for a long period of time, they are locked in the tent. A group tarp is nice as a hangout spot when out with others (especially those without hammocks).

I've spent much of a day with my hammock hanging buddy just under our separate tarps swinging away while it rained. IMHO it isn't as fun sitting in a stuffy tent all day in the same scenario.

Either way, get them out. IMHO take some precautions so as to not scare them away from the outdoors permanently and all will be fine. Make sure to report back with how it goes.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    At the very least you will be high and dry. I've often found that 'converting' people to a cause is pretty much a non-starter with a lot of folk. Most of the time you kind of have to let them discover things themselves. And setting up your hammock might just give them a chance to do that.
    Sort of like the Amway "Friends & Family" program, they will be polite but whisper about you when you are not looking. Let them go as they normally would and save the hard sell for the hammock if they ask to try it. If they are really interrested already, by all means pack the hammock stuff...if y'all have the stuff needed to make it comfortable already.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bring them.....I used to bring friends interested in backpacking in my tent days and the weather would either not bother them or wreck their whole camping buzz.
    Good way to find out who will make a stalwart trail partner.
    Best of luck and all.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I found hammock camping in the rain better than in a tent. Being tent bound during a storm meant sitting in the tent on a thermarest which is not comfortable IMO. Compare that to swaying gently, reclined in a louging position with your feet on the ground watching the rain from your "porch" and they should be converted.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I would certainly have them bring a tent of some sort. Then, you can let them try out the hammock. I agree with Simon-its usually better to let someone discover on their own the better way, than it is to force them into it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Or... let them take hammocks to try, but have a tent as a backup if they don't like hanging.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Rain might be the perfect scenario to illustrate the benefits of being 'above ground'.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast