Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Jarbridge Question

I posted this as a response to another thread, but didn't get much luck in the way of responses. Thought I would move it over here to the home of the AHE crowd and see if someone can share some wisdom. Thanks.

Ok, just got back inside from my first backyard hang with my new AHE Jarbridge river. 3/4 length, 42 inches wide. The temps got down to 54 and I was warm and slept well. I did, however, have a ton of problems trying to dial in the fit of the quilt. I got pretty much constant left shoulder slip. I tried to remedy with an improvised s-biner "triangle thingy" idea, clipping an s biner to the top of the quilt suspension lines, which basically moved the attachment points a little like a triangle thingy. (Thanks for the idea ducalion http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=31449). It seemed to help some, but I only had one "s" biner and one regular, so it didn't hold real well.

Ok, here are the many thoughts running through my head this morning about the problem. Looking for input.

1. Style of hammock. I have a Hennessy Expedition, bottom entry. Beginner hammock. The tie outs seemed to want to make the quilt lines gravitate toward the middle, and not stay up on the sides. I had to unstake the tie outs to even give it a chance, but that left my hammock narrow and crowded. (I am probably headed to a wbbb, so this might just be an excuse I made up to get the new one.) (I am also realizing that bottom entry is a pain with an underquilt because you have to "sit over" the edge to get in, and can't reach out to adjust)

2. The cut of the Jarbridge River. It is only 42 inches wide. Maybe this makes it tougher to stay on the shoulders. I am not a very big guy, 5'11", 170, but I have broad shoulders. I don't want buyers regret and to think I should have gone to a wider, full length quilt, but it seems a possibility.

3. Absence of true triangle thingys. I might soon be placing an order, but wanted to make sure you all thought they would really make a difference. If I use them, or rig an alternative, do I slightly loosen the end channel tension? I seems like this would make the ends of the quilt "wider" and therefore not put so much inward tension on the shoulder area.

I was looking for some wise advice on these and all things underquilt related. I am heading out tomorrow for a real overnight in the piney woods. I think I will be ok, even with slippage, but it is bugging me. Thanks!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I posted this as a response to another thread, but didn't get much luck in the way of responses. Thought I would move it over here to the home of the AHE crowd and see if someone can share some wisdom. Thanks.

Ok, just got back inside from my first backyard hang with my new AHE Jarbridge river. 3/4 length, 42 inches wide. The temps got down to 54 and I was warm and slept well. I did, however, have a ton of problems trying to dial in the fit of the quilt. I got pretty much constant left shoulder slip. I tried to remedy with an improvised s-biner "triangle thingy" idea, clipping an s biner to the top of the quilt suspension lines, which basically moved the attachment points a little like a triangle thingy. (Thanks for the idea ducalion http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=31449). It seemed to help some, but I only had one "s" biner and one regular, so it didn't hold real well.

Ok, here are the many thoughts running through my head this morning about the problem. Looking for input.

1. Style of hammock. I have a Hennessy Expedition, bottom entry. Beginner hammock. The tie outs seemed to want to make the quilt lines gravitate toward the middle, and not stay up on the sides. I had to unstake the tie outs to even give it a chance, but that left my hammock narrow and crowded. (I am probably headed to a wbbb, so this might just be an excuse I made up to get the new one.) (I am also realizing that bottom entry is a pain with an underquilt because you have to "sit over" the edge to get in, and can't reach out to adjust)

2. The cut of the Jarbridge River. It is only 42 inches wide. Maybe this makes it tougher to stay on the shoulders. I am not a very big guy, 5'11", 170, but I have broad shoulders. I don't want buyers regret and to think I should have gone to a wider, full length quilt, but it seems a possibility.

3. Absence of true triangle thingys. I might soon be placing an order, but wanted to make sure you all thought they would really make a difference. If I use them, or rig an alternative, do I slightly loosen the end channel tension? I seems like this would make the ends of the quilt "wider" and therefore not put so much inward tension on the shoulder area.

I was looking for some wise advice on these and all things underquilt related. I am heading out tomorrow for a real overnight in the piney woods. I think I will be ok, even with slippage, but it is bugging me. Thanks!
    1. yes. bottom entry is no good for uq. imho. p.i.t.a. and yes. the hh tieouts don't work well with a uq. i've had to undo mine too, and got similar results. ( i do fine without the tieouts though ) a wbbb, side zip really, makes the uq wayyy better.

2. i think 42" is wide enough, esp. for your frame. and the length is probably perfect.

3. i find the thingies to bring the quilt closer to my back, and close any gap between the hmmk and quilt. not necessarily fix shoulder slip. i rigged my 'former' ahe lost river tight when testing it, and that worked. no triangle thingies necessary.

fwiw.... i'd get a side entry hmmk.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Hi, I dont' have experience with that particular quilt but this is my opinion...

I have a 48" wide UQ and I use the tie-outs without a problem. That is probably because the DJXL that I have is also fairly wide. I wouldn't say the tie-outs don't work with an UQ at all, just not on the smaller hammocks. I also wouldn't say a WBB makes an UQ better, it may work better than the smaller hammocks but it works just the same on the normal and large size hammocks of most brands. Some may even find it more difficult to use an UQ on a WBB because of the footbox. A side entry hammock would make your life easier, though. I would say a 42" wide UQ is a bit too slim for your broad shoulders, it may work in one position but when you move at night you might get cold shoulders. I ordered mine extra wide so I could move around freely without having to worry about where the UQ is. I also ordered it extra long for the same reason and I'm lovin my UQ! Anyway, welcome to the forum and HYOY!
    Last edited by ChrisH; 07-01-2011 at 02:43.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I haven't used either of your hammock or quilt, but slipping off the shoulder is a potential problem with any setup. As to width, I am 200# and make my own underquilts only 39" wide and they cover me fine.

Triangle things do help when there is underquilt problems (although I don't use them and all is good).

The most effective "shoulder slip" solution is to sew a small elastic loop onto your hammock just above where you shoulder meets the side of the hammock. Then sew a mitten hook to the corner of your quilt, and hook it - voila!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have used my Jarbridge on my BB a couple of times (and hope to use it this weekend but with the lows in the 80's I don't know if I will need it) and while I have been comfortable using it, I am still getting it dialed in for my use.

Everything I read says to adjust it so it almost starts to lift up your hammock and I think that is the mistake I have made in that I have not gotten it tight enough.

I do wish it was a little wider but for the price I can not complain.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yea, I'm wishing mine was wider too.

One of the things that surprised me about my Yeti was how short the bungees were. When I put it on the hammock, it literally lifted the hammock up two feet higher.

I agree with gunner76, you have to really crank down on the bungees. Pull the ends tight around the hammock and tighten everything down hard. On my Jarbridge, I synched up both ends tight and put the end lines on mini-biners over the straps.I found that if you adjust the quilt so that it is a little asym, it helps with my cold shoulders and insulates my toes better (I lay asym).

You can even throw a slip knot in the head and foot bungees to force it up on one side and the other. Put the slip knot closer to your cold shoulder side and it will keep that side up.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Just got back from my first overnighter with the jarbridge and did some more experimenting. First, it was too hot to even use it, but I set it up anyway because I had just carried it 11 miles. Second, I found that it stays much better on the shoulders if you set it up a little more toward the head end. On the website, Paul describes it as shoulder to ankle coverage, so I originally tried to set it up that way. If you do that, the widest part of me (shoulders) lines up with the skinniest part of the quilt. (the drawn up end part). I moved it much closer to the head, in essence giving up foot coverage. It now hit about my knees, but the widest part of me was now lined up with the widest part of the underquilt. It made a big difference. I still think a new hammock and some triangle thingys are in my future, but I am glad to know it is fitting better.

Good tip on the slip knots, rodwolfy, I will try that in the backyard soon. It makes sense. Shug talked about tightening the cords differently in one of his videos, but i couldn't figure out how to do it with one continuous piece of shockcord that comes with it.

For those of you that sew grosgrain loops to help clip uq into position, do you just hand sew those or use a machine?

• + New Posts