HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web

Got me an explorer with a super shelter today

I am gonna try it out tonight seems kinda tiny compared to my Safari Deluxe. We will see in the morning I guess.

It is an expedition not an explorer thanks Gary.
    Last edited by weird1; 06-25-2011 at 21:25. Reason: posted wrong hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    That would explain why it seems smaller. How tall are you?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    6 ft. I don't think it is to small just smaller. It will also take up less room in the pack and it is lighter too. I got in it after I set it up this afternoon and promptly fell asleep.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Well I would like to say I could tell the difference, once I went to sleep I couldn't. As for the short time before and after the only thing that I did notice was the head room while sitting up. It is a small price to pay for the smaller pack size. The super shelter was nice too. I must admit I had my doubts about the SS. I think it will do fine for me.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ Stock HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest golite4
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopies
    so you had no complaints about the SS. How low were the temps? I have been thinking of getting one but have seen alot of up and downs on HF about the SS but for the same money one could get a 3/4 wilderness uq and a 2QZQ undercover.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by JPENA View Post
    so you had no complaints about the SS. How low were the temps? I have been thinking of getting one but have seen alot of up and downs on HF about the SS but for the same money one could get a 3/4 wilderness uq and a 2QZQ undercover.
    You can get the Summer UQ yes. But the Super Shelter will go colder than that with the space blanket, and roughly same weight.
    Its a little more work to get in through a bottom entry but I didn't find it bad.
    But with a zip model it would be really easy

I have only used a SS to date and have never been cold.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Glad you like your purchase
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    It was around 40 last night I think the forecast was 38 I didn't check. I also like that it can all stay on the hammock to. I have only spent 1 night in it, but I look forward to using it again. I wish they made one for the safari.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    It was around 40 last night I think the forecast was 38 I didn't check. I also like that it can all stay on the hammock to. I have only spent 1 night in it, but I look forward to using it again. I wish they made one for the safari.
    Me too!.............................................. .........

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    Well I would like to say I could tell the difference, once I went to sleep I couldn't. As for the short time before and after the only thing that I did notice was the head room while sitting up. It is a small price to pay for the smaller pack size. The super shelter was nice too. I must admit I had my doubts about the SS. I think it will do fine for me.
    Good to hear- though surprising- that you can't tell a dif. I am just over 6 feet myself. I find my Explorer( and also a DJ XL) very comfortable, in a variety of positions. But, I do find my(no net) Safari at least a bit more comfortable and in more positions. For example, I really can't do side position legs straight very well in my Explorer, and no problem with the Safari. I think my Safari is a bit more comfy on the mid-line. I can do really comfortable side/fetal positions in the Explorer/DJXL, but I still think there is a slight advantage even there with the Safari. But probably not worth mentioning, considering how luxuriously comfortable those fetal positions are in the Explorer. I just had to learn a sweet spot trick for that, and all is good. On my right side, my head is in the usual spot on the "left" side of the hammock. On my left side, my head is over to the "right" side of the hammock. And mostly in a pretty extreme diagonal/later position.

My Explorer and the DJ XL are among my best non-bridge hammocks for lack of calf pressure on the diagonal. But sometimes there is at least a little, or I have to squirm around hunting for the sweet spot with no calf pressure. But I almost never have ANY calf pressure with the safari. And if I did I can just lie mid-line, perfectly comfortable. But still, the Explorer UL weighs enough less than the Safari ( about 6 oz or so) that I have always chosen it for backpacking. And the DJ XL, while not quite that much lighter, has a dbl layer and zippers. So, it's close enough in comfort that I would again mostly use it when backpacking.

But I would have thought all of the above slight comfort difs would have been even more so with the shorter Expedition. But maybe not! Glad it's working for you!. Maybe that means you will soon be wanting to get rid of that Safari at a bargain price, no?

Also, glad to hear you are liking the SS. The ONE thing I really love about the HHSS concept, compared to all other quilt approaches: As part of the stock weight and price, there is a big improvement in added wind and rain/snow/fog protection. It is all just part of the package and weight/volume/money. Far as I know, it is unique in that regard. Sometimes I like other aspects of regular UQs/pods better, no doubt. Like packability/warmth ratio, or maybe some weight savings. But since the SS is usable for me, then I do love that one benefit of the HHSS. And if you are ever caught in very windy or exposed conditions with an inadequate tarp, you will come to appreciate it also. If you don't manage to really block the wind with your tarp, and with no UC, you can knock a whole lot of degrees of your quilts rating.

I now have THREE HHSSs! One 4 or 5 year old, much used one and two brand new never used ones(except one night in the back yard and a couple of day hikes as I tested one). I know that sounds crazy, but there were some really good prices, and I want them for my grandkids. So now I am keeping my eye out for bargain/sale priced Explorers/DJXLs to go with these SSs. No rush, I've got till next fall!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-26-2011 at 14:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast