WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    You will be very happy! I have never given being cold a second thought since I started hangin with my Incubator. Even on warm nights I still put it on and just leave the ends looser to vent.
    +1 very versatile.

I had my winter qbator fully vented in the dead of summer and slept comfortably and had it down to -2 equally comfy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyMan View Post
    Last night I decided to camp out in the front yard. I used a themarest under me and a REI Travel down as a speerpod going all the way around my hammock.
    It was ok, and but even 65 degrees I was cold underneath, and fidgeting around gave me more cold spots. It was very annoying. Anytime I was warm, I wasn't comfortable and moved around, got cold.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    You will not be sorry...pads stink IMO. One question though, Arrowhead or Hammock Gear (you ARE excited!)?
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    I agree... Full uq. I tried my wbbb with a thermarest yesterday and it was terrible. Always a cold spot somewhere. So I whipped up a poncho liner underquilt in a hurry. I left the thermarest in the hammock, and used a down sleeping bag as a tq. I was almost too warm . I have a tq and uq on order with hammock ger, but I'm afraid they may not arrive before I leave on my July road trip, hence the experimenting with what I have.
    Well, I"m certainly no pad user, except rarely in my JRB bridge. And occasionally a torso pad added in a dbl layer hammock when my IX UQ was not quite warm enough, or to pop in my bridge after I couldn't get by with nothing in warm weather and that is all I had with me. Still, I'm surprised to hear so many are cold using pads at moderate temps.

I'm pretty much a user of some form of quilts: JRB MW4, IX uqs, my nifty WB torso Syn UQ with leg pad when cold enough, my also very nifty PeaPod, and even my old faithful HHSS. It is mostly a matter of comfort, and only with the JRB bridge can I ever really consider a pad comfort wise.

However, one time I did use 2 pads stacked in a Speer SPE inside a Speer single layer hammock: a full length CCF Thermarest Ridgerest( a real old one-- .6" thick?) with an also very old Ultralight TR inflatable torso pad( 1" thick?). Plus some WM blue pad sections in the side wings of the SPE.

If mem serves, it was a tad below 20. That was about 4 years ago. I still remember it as one of the toastiest winter nights I ever had in a hammock. Never a hint of cold. In fact, I was so warm on the bottom it gave me the confidence for the 1st time to use my bag as a quilt. Being cold was certainly no problem. It was also not all that uncomfortable compared to my HHSS ( only other thing I had at the time). It was certainly still way more comfortable than those pads would have been on the ground.

Thing is, if I had used a thicker pad or stacked another torso pad in the SPE, I probably would have been fine below zero, I mean, if I was toasty at ~ 20 with the two thin pads I had, it should not have been hard to add another 20* before getting cold. But adding another or thicker pad should have left the comfort about unchanged, other than increased warmth.

Still. I have always preferred various quilts.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I got the full length 3S Incubator as well. I had Adam make it larger than normal so I would be warm no matter which way I toss/turn in the night. I also didn't wanna have to deal with a foot pad of any sort. I loooooove my Incubator!!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

UQ solves CBS resulting in CNM!

My brain is hurting.

Jim

UNA!

lazyman--which incubaator did you get? 3 season or 4 season?

trying to find the right uq and am starting to grove on those hg uq's
    Last edited by SoCalBB; 07-28-2011 at 05:58.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    I have to make do with a diy-uq from a sleeping at present, but agree that the full length is a good option. I am toasty in my rig and cant imagine using a 3/4 uq. Mostly because if my feet get cold, esp trying to sleep, I freeze my butt off from the feet up, and it takes a lot to warm back up again. Poor circulation anyone?
    Last edited by Browny; 07-28-2011 at 08:38. Reason: I can spell gooder an youz
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I used my properly-vented Winter Incubator on nights with "lows" in the mid 60s without a problem. That being said, I think I might prefer the 3/4 length in the extremely warm summers we have here in the South, but I doubt I would ever want anything shorter than that. Once I finish my 3 DIY quilts, I will probably end up with the following set ups:

Summer (overnight low > 60*F)
    TQ = DIY sewn-thru "Summer Burrow" clone with vented footbox
    UQ = DIY 3/4 "Summer Phoenix" clone

3-Season (overnight low > 20*F)
    TQ = DIY baffled "3-Season Burrow" clone with sewn footbox
    UQ = Properly vented Winter Incubator

Winter (overnight low < 20*F)
    TQ = DIY Summer tq inside DIY 3-Season tq
    UQ = Snug Winter Incubator

Northern Winter (overnight low < 0*F)
    ....this southern boy won't be going outside for anything!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix &amp; Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; DutchTi
    No love for the 3/4th UQ?!

The way I've come to think of it:

Summer: Summer TQ and 3/4 UQ
    Winter: Add Pod

OR
    Summer: Summer TQ and 3/4 UQ
    Winter: 4 Season TQ and Full Legnth UQ

Ive gone the first route (for financial reasons mostly) Three pieces of kit instead of four works out for me and I sleep warmer in a reinforced pod system. It's also lighter (I think) to go <1lb Summer TQ, <1lb Summer 3/4UQ, and <2lb pod bag. All under 4lbs and I thought it was normally >4.5lbs for a winter TQ/UQ combo.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Byer of Maine
    Tarp
    5x7 Wally World
    Insulation
    baginabag
    Suspension
    depends
    Images
    I would love to see 65 for a low temp. We, in east tn, have been at/over 100 degrees for 2 months now. i can't wait to get back to Ely in Dec.!
    40 nights out hammocking 2011...

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'm not that excited about a foot pad anymore, the way I sleep it just doesn't work well. I'll keep my 3/4 Phoenix for mid summer, but will be adding a 3 season incubator. It will be freezing at night in the Cascades anyway in a week or so, especially this year. Only one day over 90 this summer, lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast