Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Going to make something like this for my DIY hammock and maybe the HH as well.

One idea I've been thinking about is to make a super long snake skin that attaches to the bag.

Picture a snake skin that's one piece rather than 2 and sewn into the edge of the bag opening. This would let me collapse the strung hammock for when I want some space to camp under the tarp.

I don't think the tarp will be part of the equation. It will get its own stuff sack.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Let us know how this works for you and please post some pictures as I'm curious on this too. However; I do think perhaps it may be a pain in the butt to get the stuffing of the entire tarp (if larger) correctly into one long snake skin...then into the bag. I'm also not sure if you "really" need both the snake skin and the bag. When you unclip one side, stuff into your bag, you just leave the bag end still attached and it is up and out of your way non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Going to make something like this for my DIY hammock and maybe the HH as well.

One idea I've been thinking about is to make a super long snake skin that attaches to the bag.

Picture a snake skin that's one piece rather than 2 and sewn into the edge of the bag opening. This would let me collapse the strung hammock for when I want some space to camp under the tarp.

I don't think the tarp will be part of the equation. It will get its own stuff sack.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Thanks for the video PF. It explains everything.

I know what I'm doing next weekend.

Images
    [QUOTE=DivaB;499750 However; I do think perhaps it may be a pain in the butt to get the stuffing of the entire tarp (if larger) correctly into one long snake skin...then into the bag. I'm also not sure if you "really" need both the snake skin and the bag. When you unclip one side, stuff into your bag, you just leave the bag end still attached and it is up and out of your way non the less.[/QUOTE]

For the tarp, I won't bother with this. It just needs a bishop bag I think.
    Splitting them up makes setup a bit more of a hassle since I'll have dig around for 2 sack but it will make packing my load easier I think.

Since I haven't invested in rain gear yet I can also leave the tarp packed up top to setup in case of a storm.

If I want to setup the hammock to sit on during a beak or lunch I won't have the tarp to deal with either.

On the hammock itself I really like being able to get it out of the way with snake skins rather than take it down. I burned a hole in my HH bag to experiment with the whole bishop bag idea and I can't imagine using it as an excuse to get rid of my snake skins. I would like to use something lighter like maybe tulle.

I'll have to try it to find out but I think I can get the hammock into a bag the size of a soda can or at least a Foster's size can.

For the ring inside the snake skin opening I think I can cut a strip of the translucent plastic from a vinegar bottle or a bleach bottle and use it inside.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end Hammock
    vary nice bag. the pictures of serenity made me think of this song. http://youtu.be/x-yHSaP0Dyg

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Very very cool design Pucker. The video is a great bonus!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    Watched the new Bayformers Saturday and near the end Alan Tudyk is intently staring at a computer hacking into something with ease. I kept muttering, "I'm a leaf on the wind!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I had thought of doing away with snake skins and doing a bishop bag, but decided not to because I got to thinking about rain etc... I don't want a wet bag in my pack, my skins get wet even with my tarp, and I really don't like tying a bunch of stuff to the out side. I think i will make a bag from lighter material to replace the HH one.
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Images
    Thanks to the excellent video, I have made my own stuff sack. Actually, my wife put it all together. I still haven't mastered the sewing machine. I didn't add the pleats and the only major change I made was to add a couple of pockets for my toggles. It didn't turn out too bad for a first time.
    And yes it is the same sack. I don't know why it looks blue in the first 2 pictures.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Awesome!! I like the addition of the toggle pocket!

Keep sewing,
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast