Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird

How low can I go with a Summer Incubator?

I am looking at picking one up (900 Fill) and want to know how low I should be able to use it to? I will be sleeping a warm sleeping bag (usually 5-10 degrees below the forecasted minimum low). The coldest I will be camping with be 10-15 degrees in the winter. We stay inside when it gets colder here in Michigan. I am a warmer sleeper than average, but not a hot sleeper.

I want to carry the minimum and also be able to use the same quilt in the warmer months (60 degree nights). I use a WB BB 1.0 DL and a nice big tarp.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    The ratings that Adam and Jenny put on their quilts are fairly generous, you might be able to go 5 or 10 degrees lower than the rating depending on what you have on top and what you wear to bed. You might wanna look at their 3S partial length UQ's. I know I wouldn't be caught in Michigan in the winter with a summer UQ!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if you plan on taking your UQ that low get the 3 season and don't play around with guessing ....
    guessing will get you sick,hurt or even killed

UQ ratings on Hammockgear UQ and TQ are pretty much on ... the lowest i would take ANY quilt is 5 degrees below it's rating...
    and being you live in Michigan i wouldn't play around
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    yep get the 3 season and be safe. that's your best bang for the buck... if you get TOO hot with it underneath you can always loosen it or simply take it off....

buy the summer and 3 season then you will be set
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    I'm picking this up like-new second hand from someone who has 2. I can get a real good deal on it, but not good enough to be able to afford a second UQ anytime soon.

Hammock
    WBRR and WBBB
    Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images
    I've pushed my 3/4 version down into the low 30s with the addition of a Thermarest RidgeRest and didn't even notice it was cold out there.
    Last edited by BigEarth; 06-29-2011 at 07:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmcgo View Post
    I am looking at picking one up (900 Fill) and want to know how low I should be able to use it to? I will be sleeping a warm sleeping bag (usually 5-10 degrees below the forecasted minimum low). The coldest I will be camping with be 10-15 degrees in the winter. We stay inside when it gets colder here in Michigan. I am a warmer sleeper than average, but not a hot sleeper.

I want to carry the minimum and also be able to use the same quilt in the warmer months (60 degree nights). I use a WB BB 1.0 DL and a nice big tarp.
    Hammock Gear rates the Summer Incubator as a 35* quilt! If you are wanting something to go down too 10-15* then the 3 Season just like was recommended by G.L.P will get you to the 15* mark as per Adam/Jenny's listing on the underquilts temp rating on their site without much question!
    Many factors play into reaching a quilts temp rating and definitely play into pushing a quilt beyond it's rating, metabolism, hydration, clothing, humidity, internal and external body temp (which plays into metabolic), and much much more, but also knowing and testing the quilts rating slowly, my recommendation is not pushing a quilt that low without having tested it in slightly warmer temps first, do as you may though!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I am tempted to say "till you get cold!!" There are lots of things you can do with clothing, etc. to compensate. I paddle in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan until mid November (gun season opens and I hide indoors) and I have been caught in blizzards with 2 feet of snow on the ground and temps in the teens with 40 mph winds. I was prepared and recall the experiences I have had like those with great fondness. Had I not been prepared, I would recall them with horror.

I always have some kind of a backup plan for cold. I would not rely on any summer quilt rating to get me into past mid-Sept or prior to mid-May in Michigan. I have had frosts during those mid dates often. I would consider it if I had some insultex, or some other additional supplement to the quilt. Paddling I carry more than backpacking so I can pull that off.

Backpacking, I would carry a 3 season quilt for sure. I have the 3 season phoenix with 900 FP I use when it is cooler, a DIY full length insultex (2 layers) I use in summer, and if it is gonna be really cold, I carry both. I have been to single digits with both. The zub zero stuff is a whole nother story.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I paddle in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan until mid November (gun season opens and I hide indoors)
    WHAT??? That is the exact time to start getting out doors (well, late September is woodcock opener, so I guess that is the best time to start)

We camped (on the ground, no fires either) on North Manitou Island in late November one year for a week to catch the deer season there. I look back on that trip and remember cold (we SAW one deer as an entire group)! I've been rethinking that trip and would like to try it again. The temps really didn't get down below 25 that week so it wasn't that bad. I was hoping to hammock camp that week using my 0 degree Mountain Hardwear bag and summer incubator. The bag is pretty big and my thought is that the insulation does not compress much under me so it won't need a ton of help from the UQ...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast