Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

JRB pad converter

i looked at the different versions of pad converters the jacks have on their site now. pretty cool.
    i`ve wondered about a way to attach a quilt to the pad, or a pad sleve.
    maybe using velcro like the jacks did, or a zipper like jeff did.
    but i also have recently started using a ccf pad as an extra large wind shield to help the smaller wind screen on my stove.
    i have made a tripod using my trekking poles & a stick to support the ccf pad. i have also just used the trekking pole as it was being used as an accessory line like we talked about in another thread.
    but if your getting any real wind, the pad needs an attachment of some kind to hold it to the poles. it doesnt take much.
    i have just put a hole through the pad & run a short piece of string through.
    but because of some muti-use ideas, i`ve thought about adding velcro to the edge of the pad.
    so jacks, how do you attach the velcro to your GG pad?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I see you guys used the Gossamer Gear ThinLight pad for your Pad Converter. Does the 1/4" provide good insulation and how compressable is it? How does it compare to the WalMart cheap blue CCF pad as far as warmth and packablity?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    OK Folks ... here is some skinny.

The new "Down to Earth" Pad Converter is based on the Gossamer Gear ThinLight pads... The 1/8 inch thick model is Everzote (Same as the old, now unavailable, Mt Washington Pad)... The 1/4 is an extremely similiar material but technically different material.... The major advantages of these pads are: reasonably sticky, flexible, softer than many CCF, good insulation, very light weight, roll small, fold easily, and do not absorb water. (Headchange4u...I'd say in all of these characteristics it beats the Wally World Blue pad except for limits of insulation... since the WW pads I've seen are 3/8, they are probably warmer)

Omni Tape, a standard JRB feature, is light weight, strong and flexible... It is glued to the pad, with a waterproof contact cement...(Slowhike....Sticky back velcro will break down in the wet/damp out doors, don't use it... also Lick and stick won't work either )

So why did we make it? Do Hammockers care?

For a year or so now, since BPL rated the No Sniveller the overall winner in the market survey of Alternative Sleep Systems, ground guys have been snapping these up almost as fast as the hammock hangers... Of course on the ground sleepers toss and turn and have problems with air leaks when using quilts. The " Down to Earth" Pad Converter eliminates leaks by providing full bag capability... Yet it still allows all the light weight, multi use capability of the No Sniveller...It increases the temp range thru not only providing a seal but integates a non compressing insulated bottom...In moderate temerature ranges it eliminates the need for other pads for insulation, yet still functions separately for use as a pack pad back, frame for unframed packs, sit pad, etc.

Hammockers have often stated a desire to retain a go to ground capabilty.... Additionally, there have been many discussions of slippery pads, esp in asym hammocks... Lack of a pads flexibility/conformity is often discussed... And in cold weather below the range of under quilts and pea pods many supplement their bottom insulation with pads....JRB's Down to Earth PC answers these needs as well...As well or better than many 20 inch pads...Width is still an issue in the hammock, unless using a UQ or PP.... However, you can expect some attachable pad wings, taking the shoulder and hip width to 26-27 inches in the near future The primary pad detractor, non breathability, remains; however, on the ground this is a minimal to a non-issue as it is flat.... In a hammock the wrap and lack of bottom venting may or may not make this an issue depending on each individual user... Bottom and back sweater know who they are.

We still firmly believe in under quilts as the most superior bottom insulation system... but, we also believe the Down to Earth PC works for many hammocker scondary or supplemental needs.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images

questions....

Looks awesome Pan.
    Just a couple questions pertaining to us hammockers...
    Used in conjunction with a Nest underquilt, could you give us your best
    speculation as to how the pad might function as a temp range extender?
    How many degrees for 1/8?, for 1/4?

Also could you comment on the omni tape option in this scenario?
    Feasable inside the hammock, or more for the go-to-ground option?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Peter_pan;3648]OK.
    Omni Tape, a standard JRB feature, is light weight, strong and flexible... It is glued to the pad, with a waterproof contact cement...(Slowhike....Sticky back velcro will break down in the wet/damp out doors, don't use it... also Lick and stick won't work either )
    pan... i hope you know i wouldn`t even try that..<G>
    i suppose barge cement would work? i know it would have to be flexible when cured as well as water proof.
    part of the reason i ask is because there are so many kinds of cement's/adhesives out there, & i suspect using a lot of different chemicals.
    i don`t know much about that stuff, but i would think that some would hold more strongly than others & some may even have an unwanted chemical reaction w/ the GG pad.
    thanks. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts