Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    And this is one of the reasons why I rather enjoy that 90% of my trips take place in southern Mississippi where there are no bears.

I think a lot depends on if they are campground bears or wild bears. I have hunted bears in several states and provinces and for the most part they are spooky as can be. I don't think it would take much to scare them off.

Campground bears are another story. They are accustomed to people and know where the food is they don't scare off easy because they have done the same thing 1000 times and rarely if ever had a bad result.

When I have camped in designated camping spots in the High Peaks in the Adirondacks we always hung our food as the bears seem to pretty freely wander the camping areas in search of food. In more remote areas I haven't worried about it as much. Knowing my presence was enough to keep most critters away.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    I have a healthy respect for black bears but I have had enough experiences with them under all sorts of circumstances to loose my fear of them.
    Really that only works in areas where flatlander campers have not ruined the bears. Good reason to go off the beaten path. Even then the bruins are cagy enough to only go after the big meal...not your clothing. Their sense of smell is incredible and even the food on your breath (including and especially toothpaste) surely does not escape them.

Judy and I were remembering a 30+ year old hike into Rock House Basin this weekend. There was bear sign everywhere with many different sized foot prints...at least a half a dozen bears. We cooked right in camp always then and mostly hung our food with paracord and a stuff sack an easy stone's throw from our bedding. As paranoid as we were (there really was a BUNCH of sign...like a bear convention) and on the lookout, neither of us even heard a bear let alone saw one.

Take all reasonable precautions but don't let it rule your life. Bears really don't like us and most likely see us as stinky rude intruders that are dangerous. In 50+ years of being outdoors I have never even seen a bear (even when bow hunting) except at campgrounds where they have been ruined.

Hammock
    DIY Colorado flag retired
    Insulation
    DIY UQ (old bag)
    Suspension
    Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    I think a lot depends on if they are campground bears or wild bears.

Campground bears are another story. They are accustomed to people and know where the food is they don't scare off easy because they have done the same thing 1000 times and rarely if ever had a bad result.

Knowing my presence was enough to keep most critters away.
    Yup, my experience too. Camping way back, away from CG's they leave us alone. Even when cooking etc in camp. They do leave a 'calling card' telling me that they're around, tho. Usually with in a couple hundred yards and in an obvious place where I'm sure to find it, it seems. I urinate a short bit away from camp and that seems to 'mark' my area.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Here is the deal coming from the west coast where the sierra bears are waiting behind your camp at night waiting for you to go to the bathroom so that they can get the share of your food. Trust me they are horrible dinner guest. The thing that I have learned is that many habits that bears learn become generational knolledge. If one bear learns to get a bear bag then her children will be taught how and son and so forth untill you are force to carry cumbersome cannisters like us. Take it from me the more that practice good bear hygene the longer you will stave off 3lb cannisters.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12