Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, that is an impressive result for just a bag in a hammock!
    Yeah, I did a double take...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I have a synth rectagular 35* bag from my car camping days that I successfully used by it's self into the upper 40s. No CBS, and was actually a bit too warm. Clothing was a wicking synth shirt and running shorts, had to take my socks off in the middle of the night because my feet were roasting. Had thrown the pad out of the hammock earlier in the night as it was making things uncomfortable for me. I only use this bag in the backyard as it weights more than any other peice of gear I own (72 oz ) but it worked successfully.

P.S. I'm a freaking furnace when I sleep also. I've woken up sweating in a 50* room with sheets thrown off me, a fan blowing and me in my skivies.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    70D HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    JRB HSS(complete)
    it's winter here in Australia at the moment and next weekend I'm off for a two day, 60km (37 miles) hike.

the weather is expected to go as low as 4c (39f) and I've got a synthetic sleeping bag modded to be my UQ rated for +10c (50f) and a synthetic sleeping bag that opens flat and has a bit of a footbox going on rated for +5c (41f). Both bags weigh just a smidge over 1kg each (~2.2 pounds each).

I'm hoping I've chosen wisely, and that I don't get too much of a cold butt during the night! Worse comes to worse, I'll zip up the TQ and get snug as a bug in a rug in the hammock

Will repost after the hike and let you know how I get along (unless I freeze to death - it's been nice knowing you all!)

Cheers,

Jason.
    All in all and I'm loving every rise and fall the sun will make and I will take breath to be sure of this

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Count me in as another very interested party to this discussion.

I just got my first hammock and I'm already mulling over my options for insulation. I have an old REI synthetic bag that was originally rated down to 0 degrees, but in real world testing it's more like mid-20s when also using a good pad and proper sleep wear. The thing doesn't compress much at all - huge annoyance most of the time, but maybe a positive for use in hammock camping?

I'm wondering how I'll fare using this synthetic bag plus a ridgerest pad. I'm also wondering if I'll be able to do the gymnastics required to use all of that inside my hammock.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I also recall people using the Pound Hawg approved Military Modular Sleep System. Using the 2 bags together in the hammock alone achieved good results to well below freezing. If I recall, these 2 bags weight close to 9 pounds and don't compress that much so that is likely the reason why they seem to provide good insulation without a pad or underquilt.

However the main issue with sleeping bags is the wrestling match it takes to get into the bag and into the hammock in a comfortable position. Then repeat said match when you have to get up to water the trees at some point during the night.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I remember 4 years ago i was on a mission to find the cheapest way to hang and stay warm.... i remember trying to zip myself into a Synth sleeping bag
    if i remember i was good down to around the mid 50's or so....
    i think i tried just about everything out there befor i broke down and got a quilt

yeah i can say with a GOOD synth sleeping bag you could get into the 50's
    but for the weight and bulk you might not be happy
    a pad would be better
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

NWGA, the Rome/Floyd county area. Johns Mt. Wilderness area is an old stomping ground.
    Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth, gathered end 12x5
    Tarp
    DIY silnyl 10x12
    Insulation
    depends...
    Suspension
    MULETAPE!!!
    Catavarie said: P.S. I'm a freaking furnace when I sleep also. I've woken up sweating in a 50* room with sheets thrown off me, a fan blowing and me in my skivies. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, totally. That may be why I was comfy in a 15 degree synth bag in the low 30s. It's heavy and does not compress easily. Also, I have a JRB bridge which has a wide pocket for a pad that hangs just a little loose. That little airspace as thin as it is was probably adding a little bit of a windbreak.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    most ive done is got to 44 degrees in a 50 degree bag. 1st night I used a pad and was warm. 2nd night fell asleep without pad and woke up frozen alive. stuffed all my clothes in my sleeping bag and did what I could but my body wouldnt let me fall back asleep . but I know I sleep in the low 50's with a 50 degree bag as a topquilt and just the hennessy underpad without undercover
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    most ive done is got to 44 degrees in a 50 degree bag. 1st night I used a pad and was warm. 2nd night fell asleep without pad and woke up frozen alive. stuffed all my clothes in my sleeping bag and did what I could but my body wouldnt let me fall back asleep . but I know I sleep in the low 50's with a 50 degree bag as a topquilt and just the hennessy underpad without undercover
    Were you even inside that 50* bag at 44*, or just using it as a TQ? If a TQ, yep, 44 is really asking for it!

But what I need right now is a sort of Anti-sleeping bag. Something that will actually subtract about 20 or 30 or 40*F from the air temp, and dry the air out while it is at it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Seems to me that this one is settled just by experience: Sleeping in a synthetic bag with no pad into the upper 40's and my back was just slightly cool. Got out to pee and I noticed that my back must have been warmed by the bag, as it got colder while I was out. The bag must have been warming me some in the back, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to sleep at that temperature. Maybe it provided 10 degrees of warmth? That's all you may be shooting for if you have a summer quilt already. Trial and error at this point I think.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast