Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images

Question Ultralight Hammock Setup with Bug net?

To all you gram weenies out there, what is your ultralight hammock setup that includes a bug net, or some other sort of bug protection? What's the weight? I am not necessarily an ultralight purist, but I like the idea of taking a trip with the lowest base weight I can get. Then, I can add luxuries as I please while still being light.

Anyways, I'd consider DIY if that's what you use. If you are rocking a DIY hammock and bug net with whoopie slings, a link to the bug net instructions or something, and the dimensions of your hammock (along with your height/weight if you don't mind) would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    well since I messed up my knees running in highschool im not much of a gram weenie because I cant hike alot haha but I have read this setup before:

- Hammock: Grand Trunk Nano7 - without the biners. 4.91 ounces ~$70

- Suspension: 6' Dynaglide Whoopie Slings from www.whoopieslings.com. 0.64 ounces $18.55. Arrowhead Equipment also sells them but I don't know the weight.

- Toggles: Arrow toggles from www.whoopieslings.com 0.18 ounces $4

- Tree Straps: Variety of sources. Your pick... ~2.00 ounces. ~$15

- Hammock Ridge-line: 1.75mm utility line from Arrowhead Equipment. Length will vary based on your comfort and how you tie knots, but 9' of line would probably be a good start. ~0.21 ounces $2.25

- Stuff Sack: Medium cuben stuff sack from www.Zpacks.com. 0.25 ounces $12.95

- Tarp Ridge-Line and Strings: 50' of yellow and 50' of black 1.25mm spectra cord from Zpacks. You won't need all this but they sell it in 50' lengths. you need about 26' of black and 40' of yellow. 0.32 ounces for the ridge-line and 0.35 ounces for the tarp strings. $25.90

- Tarp: To exactly replicate my tarp you need a 7'x9' cuben tarp from Zpacks.com with 16 tie out points. That would be 4.45oz for $210. There are other tarp options out there if you don't want the rectangle.

theres a sticky in this section that might help you more than i could
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    sgt rock has one on here, hammock, bugnet and tarp under 1 lb
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    sgt rock has one on here, hammock, bugnet and tarp under 1 lb
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614
    i just double checked and I believe thats the one i posted. I didnt even notice it was his haha
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I've been maintaining a pretty low base weight. I still only have 7 short trips under my belt so I take away and add every trip I've had. I'm down to 8-9lb base weight for summer/3 season and I'm pretty happy with that. But... I'd consoder my hammock set up the only thing not ultralight, it is my luxery.

Blackbird 1.0 dbk w/dynaglide whoopies, straps and toggles,, 20oz w/out tie outs, sometimes I use them.

Maccat standard in silbylon, 13.5oz with tie outs and all the stakes.

Hopefilly next year ill get a 1.1 single blackbird and a cuben tarp and together it it'll shave about around 6oz.

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Warbonnet's travelnet is very light and well made, check it out on his website.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

bug sock 2 ounces papasmurf

Get a papasmurf bug sock. 2 ounces in tulle. Full-length protection. I have the same Nano7/whoopie combo the other poster described, and the papasmurf bug sock. In hot summer, I sleep on a pad and use no top quilt or anything. Max, maybe a fleece vest. Medium summer/spring/fall I pull a Kelty Lightyear down 40 degree mummy bag around the hammock, by opening the short little zipper in the footbox and pulling the hammock/suspension through that little zipper slit. No need for a pad since you aren't compressing the bag beneath you. In winter I use a 20 degree Lightyear bag pulled around the hammock and have been comfortable in 5 degree F weather (albeit with smartwool top and bottoms and a down jacket worn inside the hammock/bag and a fleece beanie. Why more people don't use this mummy bag pulled around the hammock system, I don't know. Except if you are a super big/wide person it might be limiting. But with the Nano7 you're dealing with a small hammock anyway.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Papa Smurf BugSock and modded Nano 7 and a cuben tarp fitted with Dutchware tech!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

I have two set-ups that I use, the lighter one is a GT Nano 7 with a Papasmurf Bug sock comes in at around 8oz this is with suspension/ridgeline the whole shebang (without tarp of course)! The Nano is good for those UL/SUL trips but I find that it is just a little narrow, comfy and very well doable!
    My second is about 3oz heavier (probably closer to 2, but who's counting, lol) and it is a DIY that another member was soooooo awesome to make for me, it's based on the Nano but wider and is muuuuuuuucccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh more comfortable so I am going to bring this on my trips now as I find that for the extra couple ounces is worht it as the hammock is that much more comfy than the Nano!
    Of course both are set-up with Dynaglide whoopies, short straps, thin 1.75 ridgeline, 'n' all that jazz! I also use Dutch Biners on my webbing to attach the whoopies to the webbing!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    If the nano7 is too small, like lazy boy said, the warbonnet traveler is a big hammock and could be light. I have a 1.1 single and it weighs just under 10oz after switching to dynaglide whoopies and ridge line and changinge the tree straps and use of toggles and extenders if need be. A larger papa smurf bug sock could be used and I'd imagine it would weigh around 3oz.

I weigh 185 and the single is fine for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast