Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    For those of you who have used or are using the Nano 7, how tall are you? I'm like 5'9"-5"10" and am wondering if/when I decide to make a DIY Nano, should I widen it up a bit? If so, how much?

5'9" 187lb's my hammock that was made for me is 9ft long and 58" wide, so by comparison the Nano is 9' long by 4' wide (or 48") and the extra width makes it amazingly comfy compared the the standard Nano width! But like everything, this is just my opinion and my preference, yours or others may differ!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    Get a papasmurf bug sock. 2 ounces in tulle. Full-length protection. I have the same Nano7/whoopie combo the other poster described, and the papasmurf bug sock. In hot summer, I sleep on a pad and use no top quilt or anything. Max, maybe a fleece vest. Medium summer/spring/fall I pull a Kelty Lightyear down 40 degree mummy bag around the hammock, by opening the short little zipper in the footbox and pulling the hammock/suspension through that little zipper slit. No need for a pad since you aren't compressing the bag beneath you. In winter I use a 20 degree Lightyear bag pulled around the hammock and have been comfortable in 5 degree F weather (albeit with smartwool top and bottoms and a down jacket worn inside the hammock/bag and a fleece beanie. Why more people don't use this mummy bag pulled around the hammock system, I don't know. Except if you are a super big/wide person it might be limiting. But with the Nano7 you're dealing with a small hammock anyway.
    motor,
    Can you tell me more about this? I bought a Grand Trunk UL hammock (10 oz.) and have a Eureka Eagle Point - 15 deg. bag I'm willing to sacrifice, to make a 'pea-pod' like winter hammock. But, I have not quite got to the point of cutting the holes in the ends of the sleeping bag, and, putting the hammock INSIDE the bag, so the bottom still lofts, but I'm actually laying on the hammock, but, inside the bag. Do the holes for the hammock have to be 'gusseted' so the hammock itself doesn't rip out the bag? It's synthetic, not down. How hard is it to zip up? I have looked at it all sorts of ways, even velcro'ing the bag down the side of the hammock, so it doesn't droop so far down it won't zip up, but am not sure yet if it will work. What is your set up? I've been looking for it!!!

thanks!
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

HAs just about every way of insulating a hammock. Here we are talking ultralight are we not? The lightest method is a CCF pas with hip and shoulder extenders in an SPE. Its also the most effective and cheapest (Light, cheap, good performance - not often that happens). I use a 36"x48" 1/4" pad. It wrinkles a bit, but it is so wide it is just about impossible to roll off it. I also use Rick's ovelap pad using a WW blue pad cut in half. only 13 oz and $5.88, compared with a 6 1/2 lb $100sleeping bag being suggested above.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    In terms of my original questions, I wasn't asking anything about insulation, just hammocks and bugnets. The question that has come up is more about creating a "pea pod" style of insulation using a sleeping bag, but nothing is mentioned about it being a recommended ultralight method, just a solution for insulation that happens to work with the smaller Nano 7.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    In terms of my original questions, I wasn't asking anything about insulation, just hammocks and bugnets. The question that has come up is more about creating a "pea pod" style of insulation using a sleeping bag, but nothing is mentioned about it being a recommended ultralight method, just a solution for insulation that happens to work with the smaller Nano 7.
    Right: Pea-pod.

That's what I'm interested in. I use down UQ and TQ's but have experimented with all the other materials mentioned on HF so far. That being said, I'm wanting to try a pea-pod like configuration for very cold/sled hiking this winter. Running a hammock through a bag seems like it would work. That configuration would allow the bag to loft under the occupant. However, keeping the bag up around the hammock, and, zipping it up might be the challange. I might have to convert the bag to a top center zip, and secure it to the sides of the hammock to keep it from drooping down on the sides to where I can't reach it to pull it up. I guess I need to stop thinking, and just start cutting, but my sewing machine is not going to like the thickness of all that material.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
    Warbonnet's travelnet is very light and well made, check it out on his website.
    can't find it on the site?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Kayak karl, I believe he's talking about warbonnets bug net that people use with the traveler. Cost .65 and weighs 7.5oz. They're in the traveler hamoock section on his site.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

peapod response

Somebody posted about using a sleeping bag around the hammock in winter. I do this with my Nano 7 and have been comfortable at 5 degrees F. I use a Kelty Lightyear down 20 degree bag in winter and 40 degree bag in summer. I'm 5 ft 10 and weight about 155 and I can very easily pull the bag around the hammock (Lightyears have a little zipper in the footbox) and pull it up around me and when I zip it shut and pull the draw string, the underside/hood area fully covers my shoulders and neck. I can move around as much as I like inside the bag/hammock. I'm a back sleeper. This might be restricting if you are a side sleeper and shift around a lot. But it is VERY comfortable for me. I don't sleep on a pad since the bag doesn't compress under me since the bag is outside the hammock. Very ultra light and very comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i have a UL hammock but in the summer time or Bug season i don't use it
    my WBBB 1.1dbl is my Comfort item on the trail...i only allow myself 2...
    if your going to drop weight leave alot of the comfort items at home

my setup for summer is
    WBBB 1.1 dbl with Dynaglide WS 24.8oz
    OES Micro tarp 8.5oz with lines and hardware
    DIY UQ 11.3oz
    JRB Stealth 15oz (Also acts as my Parka on cold nights)

my base weight for summer is 7lbs 2.4oz so you can go UL with a WBBB
    just need to cut weight in other areas ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast