Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NOOB with a fabric question - Heavy Campers:)

Hello Everyone. I did some searches and have been trying to learn some more before I make my first hammock.

I am interested in making a hammock for myself for recreational camping.

I see that 1.9oz nylon ripstop is popular and that was my starting point. I am on the heavy side and I am not too worried about fabric weight in my pack. I am mostly interested in comfort and sturdiness..

I weigh about 275 lbs and i like to overbuild things...( FGR- fat-guy-rated)

I was thinking about 200D nylon (non ripstop) uncoated that I found here:
    http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons...oated%20Oxford

I am thinking that ideally something like 120D - 200D nylon might give me more strength without having to double up...

Is this a good way to go? Should I instead be looking at polyester microfiber?

AM I correct in assuming that a urethane coating on any of these owuld make it less breathable?

Suggestions???
    Last edited by jrousell; 06-27-2011 at 09:39.

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

200d

Sounds good for a single layer hammock, other more knowledgeable persons may follow with differing advice. I weigh 215 and use the 70d 1.9oz and feel very secure and it's durable. I have made hammocks in 1.5oz which supports me but I'm concerned with durability. I believe hennesy uses the 200d for their hammocks rated for your weight so you should be good to go. Definitely use the non coated fabric however. Condensation will be an issue if you use the coated fabric. You won't make just one, it's addicting. It's like a womans shoe collection, one for every occaision...Bush

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    200 D nylon would be fine. In fact it is widely used in the commercial world of hammock building. Polyester microfiber has gotten some very good reviews as well. The main thing you need to keep in mind is the suspension system you select. Don't cheap out on that. Buy a good system either piece meal or from one of the forum cottage industry folks. The reason is very simple... The fabric will likely warn before it drops you on your butt. (Although you shouldn't have a problem with the 200 D) but the suspension will just let gravity win. Gravity always wins.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I don't have any fabric advice, but I've seen people suggest these things for the first tests of a new hammock/suspension. Only hang as high as you are willing to fall. Hang over something soft - grass, carpet, couch cushions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    200 D nylon would be fine. In fact it is widely used in the commercial world of hammock building. Polyester microfiber has gotten some very good reviews as well. The main thing you need to keep in mind is the suspension system you select. Don't cheap out on that. Buy a good system either piece meal or from one of the forum cottage industry folks. The reason is very simple... The fabric will likely warn before it drops you on your butt. (Although you shouldn't have a problem with the 200 D) but the suspension will just let gravity win. Gravity always wins.

thanks for the reply -- Yes I hear ya on suspension-- that part I think I have a good handle on based on the great information on this site.... I have ordered some polyester straps from AHE and some 1/8 amsteel to make woopieslings.

I think the main thing I ahve left to decde on the hammocj itself...
    1) just buy an ENO doublenest...
    2) sew myself from double layer 1.9oz ( 70d) ripstop
    3) sew myself from that 200D nylon oxford
    4) sew myself from some other fabric...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    To be honest with ya, I haven't had a problem 1.9oz single layer, and I am 285. I use a WBBB now, but still pull it out now and then. I just received some 1.5oz from backwoods daydreamer to make someone a hammock, and it's such nice material, I think I will order more for a double layer.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I could be wrong about this

but I can remember back to the "Old Days" when Kelty (as in **** Kelty) made his pack bags with un-coated nylon oxford because it was stronger than the coated variety. I can see where uncoated threads would have the ability to give and stretch to accomodate shoulders, hips and knees. I wonder if coated fabric would be as compliant?

And as already noted, there is the condensation factor.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    but I can remember back to the "Old Days" when Kelty (as in **** Kelty) made his pack bags with un-coated nylon oxford because it was stronger than the coated variety. I can see where uncoated threads would have the ability to give and stretch to accomodate shoulders, hips and knees. I wonder if coated fabric would be as compliant?

And as already noted, there is the condensation factor.

Jim
    uncoated is what I am loking at for sure... just trying to decide is 200D oxford or instead 2 layers of 1.9oz ripstop, or something like supplex( which I think is stronger than 19.oz ripstop-- but I am not certain)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    200 D would be fine for a single layer. The double layer would be useful if you plan on using a pad for bottom insulation. Double layers are pad friendly. Single layers are not. If you expect to use an underquilt I would say 200D is ample. The bottom insulation would be what drives that choice for me.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP:
    (Too) many hours reading in archives here the last six month. If you cannot find by explicit search reports of big guys being too heavy for the strength of hammock beds, I haven't stumbled on any either. And, there are a lot of big guys here.

But, go to

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php

for explicit and expert guidance from a very experienced and receptive maker. Mostly, Brandon summarizes his experience with stretch and flatness of lie.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-27-2011 at 19:32.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast