Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arok View Post
    For my eno I use a seat belt. I sewed a loop on both ends and use the buckle as a toggle. I have had my wife, my 9 year old son, and myself in the hammock-- works great. I got the seat belt from an old car at a scrap yard.(free) it's not ultra light but it want break on you.
    Exactly. Dunno if the Strapworks seat belt material is 1st rate, as the stuff that meets DOT standards must be. The listed price is rather low, and I don't recall seat belts that were just 1" wide, too narrow not to cause its own injury in a crash or roll-over. But, maybe it is stapping that meets tough standards for restraint of child carriers, which would be cool.

An expert in this stuff is going to know how the OP's strap failed; and that person could know, the same as experts on metal failure know from looking a broken part where the break started and how it happened.

I'm pushing seat-belt strapping. because there are properties of fault-tolerance beyond breaking strength. For example, it is woven, so it won't rip or tear easily (at all?) And it is not heavy. Lengths? Sew on it well and right, and trust the stitching as you do the loops sewn in 3/4 - 1" polyester straps.

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Dunno if the Strapworks seat belt material is 1st rate, as the stuff that meets DOT standards must be. The listed price is rather low, and I don't recall seat belts that were just 1" wide, too narrow not to cause its own injury in a crash or roll-over. But, maybe it is stapping that meets tough standards for restraint of child carriers, which would be cool.
    I just ordered some 1" seatbelt webbing from strapworks so hopefully it will work out without any problems.

I emailed strap works to see if they could stitch end loops for me! They have a slightly more expensive webbing that can take up to 3800#

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Seatbelt webbing is in fact quite heavy compared to the other choices mentioned in this thread. It's also quite difficult to use the MSH and toggle with. HH's come with a 2" webbing that seems to be seatbelt webbing, I changed mine out before I even hung the hammock the first time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Seatbelt webbing is in fact quite heavy compared to the other choices mentioned in this thread. It's also quite difficult to use the MSH and toggle with. HH's come with a 2" webbing that seems to be seatbelt webbing, I changed mine out before I even hung the hammock the first time.
    i agree that 2" webbing would be quite difficult to use a toggle with, but i have used it before. the webbing were talking about here is a seatbelt weave in 1" width. i dont see how it would be any more difficult than any other webbing.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Yeah, that was a response to Demostix post, forgot to quote it. I agree, the 1" stuff is great for our purposes.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Use a longer toggle. Duh. If the toggle is such as an CF arrow shaft, the difference is a few grams.

Cant use a marling spike hitch? I just went out to 4 cars to see what your problem could be. Ran out of cars and couldn't find any difference in the webbing.

I'm responding to the subject of the thread and the OP's situation: questionable webbing that failed. Because of enforced regulations, seatbelt webbing doesn't suffer bursting failures, and is likely otherwise less fragile.

Lighter can always be found or made. That's what another hobby, road bikes, can also be about. For a couple of reasons, one of the governing racing authorities has a minimum total weight of 15 lb. Can an 8 lb bike be built? Yes. Cost: High. Will unsupported amateurs crash if furnished them? Yes. Why? They'll be too heavy for the frame; and because durability isn't expected at that weight; so, fatigue failure.

If I were using the fine JRB tri-glides, or otherwise had an investment in solid 1" hardware and 1" strapping, I'd stay with it, and not suggest to the OP a change. Firms like JRB, Warbonnet, and others stay in business by exercising QC, getting to the bottom of equipment failures, not buying from suppliers who don't do the same.

For capacity, seatbelt webbing is NOT heavy. Find the specs to convince yourself. Too much weight? Shorten the straps. I have a rig in which the 1" poly strap is just 1 meter; and it is supplemented with an inarguably stronger and lighter Amsteel loop. See above digression on bikes. Wannabe's remove all the brake pad material they won't be using for a time trial. They persuade themselves, and try to persuade others, that the.01 second time difference over a 50km race could be a podium position. Indeed.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-30-2011 at 11:06.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I didn't say you can't use a MSH, I said it's difficult. And it is, compared to using the 1" stuff. He said he got the webbing from one of the dealers on this site, they all take QC very seriously. What happened to him and his girlfriend was something that doesn't happen often by any means, if it was a QC issue I would think it would happen with some regularity. Just my opinion, don't take it to heart and HYOH.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 06-30-2011 at 18:47.

Well, I got new straps, but I've been thinking, even with new straps trees will still be able to cut them up. So I got to thinking, does anyone put anything between the tree and their straps? I was thinking of maybe wrapping a couple of feet of strap in duct tape. Or buying this from REI http://www.rei.com/product/719270/sp...rope-protector

what do you guys think? or should I just carry an extra set of straps.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ijust can't see bark damaging the straps. I've hung on all sorts of trees and the only thing that damaged my straps is using my hardware incorrectly. That cover would be ok for rope but I don't see it working on webbing. Just my opinion.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast