Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Last minute NJ trip ideas

Hey all you Jersey folk,

So I'm quitting my current job and took a new job, but I'm giving myself a week buffer, so I can relax and have a brief respite before I jump into a new career. Trying to come up with a good hammock friendly spot to get out for like 2 nights, likely Monday July 11th-Wednesday July 13th. I'm in Central Jersey, so I can head any direction, but I'd rather head north towards the Delaware Water Gap. Might invite my wife's brother along, and he's a groundie without a bunch of gear, and while not new to camping, I'm just getting into backpacking, so roughing it somewhere on the AT in that area might be tough - though a light hike in to somewhere isn't out of the question. Any ideas or suggestions where one can get away on short notice midweek? I was looking at Dingmans - I know some of the Jersey folk did a hang there in the winter, so they're likely okay with hammocks there, plus they allow campfires.

All thoughts and suggestions entertained.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing
    I love the Harriman Section of the AT...I have done it a few times...If you are concerned though you can skip the bear mt climb and start on the top of it.

If you arent looking for mileage you can start at Lake Toriotti ( I think that is how it is spelled) and work your way over to the thuway.

I am looking forward to the responses here cause I am always looking for some new ideas in lower NY and northern NJ.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I always see bear North of DWG. It is a real nice ridgewalk. Wish I could quit my job and join you. On second thought.........
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I always see bear North of DWG. It is a real nice ridgewalk. Wish I could quit my job and join you. On second thought.........
    It isn't so much quitting as it is leaving my current 'job' to start an actual 'career'. But "I quit my job" has such a liberating ring to it.

And this trip is really more about hanging and camping, and trying out my gear somewhere other than the backyard, than it is about putting in miles, or doing any serious backpacking. That'll come later, especially as this new job will afford me much more time than the old one did.

I have both the Harriman and Kittatiny trail maps somewhere, so I could just try and plot a course at random, but I'm woefully ignorant about that area of the state, and would just be going blind.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Though I'm not a huge fan of organized campgrounds, the one at Dingmans is pretty good and many of their sites work for hammocks plus they do allow campfires (you have to buy the wood there do to problems with invasive species like the emerald ash borer).

Best thing about Dingmans is that it's a great jumping off point for day hikes, most which involve waterfalls.

Bring lots of bug spray because the skeeters are brutal right now. My daughter and son-in-law stayed there last week and were getting bitten through their pants on the hikes but they said the falls were worth it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing
    I would stick with the North Harriman Maps...lower Harriman has less elevation and seems to be a bit more "swampy". Either way there will be plenty of trees to play with.

• + New Posts