DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Actually, tests have been done that show that alcohol doesn't kill germs that are "hiding" in grimy dirt. Health folks recommend washing your hands with soap on the trail.

Of course, like all things in life, there are pros & cons. You could get killed by a germ or by a bear, take your pick
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I don't get soap makers making soap smell like food, but I guess we hikers have different concerns than most.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    What a coincidence. My wife and a I recently completed a hike of the park and that same shelter was closed due to bear shredding a tent. We were all directed to the campground for a free nights stay. A rather raucous party ensued. We had three bear encounters during our hike, one requiring us to pack up and move at midnight. We later learned there were cubs involved in that encounter which we hadn't seen.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Don't leave your camp unattended. This solves a lot of problems.

Glad she is okay I had a bear remove 7 days worth of food from 25ft up in a tree this march just past walasi yi. Unfortunately a lack of LNT ethics on the trail has left some heavily traveled trails littered with hiker dependent bears. Out fault not theirs. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Don't leave your camp unattended. This solves a lot of problems.
    Ditto this. There was another incident at Bearfence this year (which was why it was closed when I passed by during my thru) where someone's tent got trashed because they had left some food in it unattended. I hung for the majority of the trip and slept with my food whenever I hung and had no problems, even in the Shenandoahs.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    IMO the only thing she did wrong was leave something scented in her hammock. I wouldn't sleep with food or anything that's smell can attract animals.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am glad she is OK. I have no experience with bears, but, I would like to think had she been in her hammock the bear would not have approached it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

unscented castille soap

Dr Bronner's is a castille soap, meaning it is made with vegetable oils, not tallow or lard based fats.

And...they do make an unscented version, which i'd think we'd all want to be using in bear country. viz: http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/OLBA02...LiquidSoap.htm

castille soap is available from other providers, such as http://www.vitaminherbstore.com/dr-w...mild-8-oz.aspx
    which i've never used, but seems a great savings over Dr Bronners.

I've been reading turtle's entries and am solidly rooting for her as well. stay safe!
    Things fall apart, the centre will not hold

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Magnet

I started my AT Thru in April 2004. Met a guy on Springer with a Speer. (Magnet) Ridge Runner told us a large male bear had been kicking butt & taking names. Suggested we use the shelter & not hang our hammocks. I stayed in the shelter, but Magnet felt it was worth the risk.

At 3 am the bear was trying to rip the chain out of the trees and knock down the food bags. I, after reading numerous books on what to do, went & confronted the bear.

The bear didn't read the same book and I'm lucky I didn't end up with my butt ripped to shreds.

The bear, went to where Magnet was located, bumped him from under the hammock. It then, took his pack, (With a very nice 35mm SLR) and departed. In the morning, Magent was able to find everything, and the only damage was a bite mark in his rain pants if I remember right.

The Shenandoah's and New Jersey for me both in 2004 & 2005 have the most bears. In 2005, while in the Shenandoah's, I hung 30 feet from a tent. (Quiet Paul) A large bear, flatten part of his tent while he was inside it. The bear left me alone.

I don't think at times one can say what a bear will go for and the reason behind it as well.

I also had several encounters with bears in NY & NJ. They would do a lot of circling around my camp, but never made contact.

As most of us know, once a bear associates food with a tent, a shelter, or a hammock it's going to be an ongoing problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast