Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ

TQ vs SB on AT Thru

I plan to stay away from shelter camping as much as possible, but figure there will be times when a roof will look awful good. So, I was thinking a pad would be my best choice - works in hammock (I don't mind it at all) - and works in a pinch on the ground. Any comments on my logic?

edit: Meant to say UQ in title
    Last edited by lvnv1212; 11-07-2011 at 12:11. Reason: clarification

If you think you will primarily be hammock camping, I would go with a fractional under quilt (such as the warbonnet yeti) and then use a torso length CCF pad under your hips and feet if needed. If you do want to sleep in a shelter, then you will have the torso length CCF foam pad to lay on and then just slide your pack under your feet.

I have used this combo successfully for a while now and definitely appreciate the flexibility. I also carry a small piece of tyvek to act as a drop cloth when I sleep in a shelter.

BG

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    Thanks. Excellent idea.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Versatility

BlackGoat nailed it!
    You want the versatility for various reasons - whether because you're 'tired' of setting up & hanging in the rain, or if you come upon one of those sites without trees that calls out to you that you simply must camp right there, whether for the sunset/sunrise, view, social reasons, or 'whatever'...

I use a cut down (to torso length) Z-Rest pad, which 'triples' as both feet/calf insulation in the hammock (if needed), as a sit pad for breaks/camp - and for a sleeping pad if going to ground, either by choice or necessity...
    My 3/4 CrowsNest (now 'Phoenix') UQ almost always stays rigged on the hammock, which is stuffed into an AHE double-ended Hammock Bag 2 (tarp is stored in mesh snake skins... I use/carry trekking poles, so tarp can set up on the ground if needed, also)...
    I use a piece of kite-weight tyvek, approx.30" x 90", which also has multiple uses - mostly used as 30" square 'patio' with the hammock, but also at breaks, as ground cloth if going to ground, and sometimes as a splash guard for the UQ (simply tucked into the ends of the UQ, providing some bottom protection for the UQ - normally not needed unless hanging in a highly overused area)...

Go for the versatility! Have a great trek - and enjoy the journey!!

ps - I do 'mind' using a full pad for bottom insulation... The comfort factor of using an UQ on a long distance hike should not be ignored! A good night's sleep is very important in healing & keeping your body going on a long trek!!
    Last edited by enyapjr; 11-08-2011 at 09:07. Reason: post script
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    Thanks enyapjr, I totally understand. I can talk myself into either a 3/4 UQ option or a 100% pad option. I never tried an UQ, so can't speak to comfort factor - though the pad seems just fine. Hammocks have revived my backpacking interest - ground is too hard for my 60 yr old body!

I see you are from St College. I did the Mid-State trail this summer in sections. Nice trails around you - but very rocky in areas. I will be exploring the Pine Creek area next summer testing our my equip - then AT in 2013!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Wise words already mentioned. Shelters blow! I won't sleep in one again. I did three nights in shelters last year and that was more than enough for me. 3/4 UQ is the ticket plus a partial pad. What is your start date?
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    Well, 2013 is a ways away - but my initial planning start date is April 3.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've only done sections on the At and you can't pay me enough to stay overnight in a shelter. I don't even like putting my hammock up near them. Seriously, after seeing how people cook their food and then throw what's left "out back" behind the shelter!!!! I watched one couple actually take over the whole second level of a 2 level shelter & cook their food up there. Then they managed to spill their food and the liquid ran all the way down to the first level. Well, I'd just rather camp a bit further away. After you get out on the trail, you'll be able to access the shelters and make up your own mind about using them. But you'll probably need to be equiped in such a way that you can use the shelters if you absolutely need to. I always carry a sit pad & piece of tyvek and my top quilt is long enough that I can tuck it around me if I'm in a shelter. I've stopped mid day at shelters and taken breaks there. Another thing you'll find is that there are times that the shelters are packed literally wall to wall with people. Maybe because I'm female, I just can not sleep well with so many people packed that closely to me. I'd rather just hang my hammock and get a peacefull night's sleep. You will figure out what you can handle as you go, just pack and be prepared for the just in case situation. My sit pad is about 12"x14" and my tyvek is about 2'x4'.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The only thing I would question is a CCF as my only mattress. try sleeping on one on a wood floor and see how you make out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ

My conclusion

Here are my conclusions for the AT try:

1) I will hang 90-95% of the time on my thru
    2) I do not find the ccf pads uncomfortable at all
    3) I can use a pad system for less weight than an UQ
    4) A pad system allows for more flexibility (backpack support, sit pad, go to ground)

So, I will use a 24"X48" (approx) 1/2" blue pad, and a Gossomer Gear nightlight torso pad. I think I can do everything with these pieces at any temps I will encounter for about 13 oz of weight

note: I have never tried an UQ - but how much more conformable than a pad can they be? I agree a pad is more trouble to carry rolled up, but not that bad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast