1.0 DL WBBB
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    "Therma-Rest" type
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle

Is there a trick to getting in?

I'm guessing this has been asked before. And I did try searching - but all terms/phrases I tried came up with a bazillion hits and none of the thread titles were obvious.

My question - is there a trick to getting in these things?

I revamped my setup recently (not that my old set up was any easier) and was in the field (Boundary Waters) a week ago. Everything was great - once in the hammock I mean. Weather sucked, I stayed dry, warm, ventilated, comfortable, all that stuff. But getting in the thing, and into my sleeping bag, was a really clumsy affair for me.

I get into the hammock itself just fine. It's then getting into the bag. No matter what I tried it's all twisted, bunched up under my ***, etc. Takes me a few aggravating minutes of shifting around, sitting up, laying back down, sitting up again, etc. before I get the bag in the right position.

Am I missing something? Does it just take practice? Or is that just the nature of hammock sleeping?

I thought about using the bag just as a quilt, but both of my bags don't unzip all the way. Zipper stops about 12 inches from the bottom edge on the one side.

FYI - have a 1.0 DL WBBB with a therma rest style pad for insulation that I use between the hammock layers. I'm taller-ish (6'2") and use "long" bags - if that matters at all.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    If you're going to use a sleeping bag, you might try getting in the bag first, and then getting in the hammock...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    NCpatrick gave one good hint. Another is to have the bag open before you get in the hammock. "Where your butt goes it will stay", so sit down onto the sleeping bag exactly where you want you butt to be in the bag, then swing in your legs and zip it up. There will be much less twisting etc... Even easier will be to use the bag as a topquilt.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Using a sleeping bag requires more contortions (in my experience) than does a top quilt. For a TQ, I usually just bunch it toward the foot end of the hammock BEFORE getting into the hammock. Then, once in the hammock, it's relatively easy to put my feet in the footbox and pull the TQ up and over me.

It's a bit more complex with a sleeping bag because there's a top and a bottom. I usually just wrestle with it until the zipper is more or less where I want it, then declare victory! For me, it's a bit easier to get it all arranged if the bag is unzipped, zipping it after I'm in place.
    Last edited by beep; 06-29-2011 at 13:53.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I use my bag as a top quilt. Crumple it up... then stick my feet into the foot box and extend my legs. Then I roll and tuck as I desire. I gave up trying to get _into_ the sleeping bag years ago.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I pretty much just use the bag as a top quilt and don't zip it up. On the rare night that I wake up feeling a bit chilly, I have my feet already wedged into the bag as a top quilt, so I just roll over on one side, tuck the bag in behind me, roll to the opposite side, untuck that part where the zipper goes, then lay back, and carefully zip it up, using my feet to add tension to help keep it straight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I'd use that sleeping bag as a quilt. The 12" that doesn't unzip becomes your footbox. Stick your feet in there and drape the remainder over yourself.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    No matter what you do, it's a cage match.

One thing that can help, is some sort of shock cord arrangement that holds the head end of the bag in the approximate position you want it to end up.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I use my bag as a top quilt. Crumple it up... then stick my feet into the foot box and extend my legs. Then I roll and tuck as I desire. I gave up trying to get _into_ the sleeping bag years ago.
    +1 for use as a topquilt. Much easier!

Hammock
    1.0 DL WBBB
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    "Therma-Rest" type
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle
    Thanks all. Good tips here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast