Hanging in the office

So I've been thinking about setting up some way to hang a hammock in my house for months. Today I finally swung by Home Depot on my way home to make it happen. I grabbed a few heavy duty screw eyes (rated to 325 lbs each) and located a few studs in my office. After a quick consultation with the hang calculator, I drilled the pilot holes and set the eyes. I had a few carabiners rated for climbing laying around so I tossed those on and attached my whoopie slings. Because of the carabiners, I can easily unhook one side of the hammock and neatly drape it over the other eye.

I know there is a little bit of lateral force on the screw eyes so I'll keep an eye on that. I only weight 175 lbs so I don't believe it should prove to be much of an issue. Just to be safe, I ensured the eye position was in the dead center of the stud.

I'm currently in graduate school and spend a considerable amount of my time reading. Now I have a new spot to read! I'm really please with the way it turned out and my wife even loved it, which was an added bonus. Here are a few pictures of the setup which ended up only costing me $6.50.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hewittdallas; 03-18-2017 at 22:17.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, nice to have the wife on board. It'll be a cold day in hell before I can hang my hammock in the house

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Wow, nice to have the wife on board. It'll be a cold day in hell before I can hang my hammock in the house
    I knew she would be okay with it. What I did not anticipate was how excited she was about the setup. She knew of my desire to have a new reading spot, so that may have factored in as well. She was particularly impressed with how easy it was to stow the hammock away and open the office back up.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter 12'
    Insulation
    PappyAmos Special
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spiders
    That's very similar to the way I started hanging in the house using the same biners...except I found studs from a door, and a window in my bedroom. I loved it so much that I started hanging full time. My roommates are cool with it. They're dogs. I imagine the wife might be opposed to the full time thing...unless she's mad at you, then it's a bonus. You just got a comfortable 'dog house'.

She may be smarter than you think...
    Maturity makes the mind grow older.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Curious how you found the center of the studs? I mean you can follow the center of a nail in sheet rock - but that assumes that nail was centered. Is there a special, "this is the exact center of the stud" stud finder out there - more than that little magnet thing that flips up when you go over a nail?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Curious how you found the center of the studs? I mean you can follow the center of a nail in sheet rock - but that assumes that nail was centered. Is there a special, "this is the exact center of the stud" stud finder out there - more than that little magnet thing that flips up when you go over a nail?
    Yes. There is technology available for determining the mass within the wall cavity. Will show you where the stud is, the edges of the stud, or if doubled, tripled, etc
    I bought this model 3 years ago. Works as advertised. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/ProSensor-710...ds=stud+finder
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yeah, I have a pretty decent stud finder that I bought years ago. It's​ designed to identify the center of a stud. However, I usually go through the process of double checking everything and tracking the stud edges from both sides just to be sure. I have an older home with good lumber in the walls and standard 1/2" sheetrock. That also helps.

Images
    Be careful hewittdallas- your reading time just might turn into sleeping time!

Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Be careful hewittdallas- your reading time just might turn into sleeping time!
    One can only hope.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Looks good. I did the same and it works fine. Even though I used a stud finder, I still turned the wall into swiss cheese with a tiny drill bit just to be 100% sure I was dead center.

I haven't had the hammock hung in my spare room for months! I think it's time to put one back in there for some napping.

• + New Posts