Just bought Hennessey Expedition
    Tarp
    dry on e
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    what makes sense

First hammocking experience

Well, I took out the new (to me) hammock to Cub Scout resident camp this week. Set it up and gave it a try on the first night (Sunday). That didn't work out so well. I could not get comfortable and the hammock sagged down to the tent platform deck that was underneath my position. I re-set the hammock a bit to clear the deck, but still couldn't get comfortable. I had some restless leg stuff going on though. I gave up for th night and went into my tent, set up the bug net and went to sleep on the platform with my sleeping pad. I tried again the night before last, this time leaving the sleeping pad in the tent and taking only my sleeping bag and fleece blanket. Worked out perfectly. I slept like a baby. The sleeping pad had been getting in my way, and with the restless leg thing cured, I went to sleep early and soundly. I even m anaged to sleep somewhat on my side (my prefered position).

I won't say I'm hooked, but I'm encouraged.

I need to modify the sling syste3m though. The stock Hennessey system doesn't cope well with big trees (24" + DBH). A Timber hitch worked well to secure the hammock to the trees, but I wasn't thrilled with the bark damage, even though it was superficial damage to thick, mature white pine.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It can take a couple of hangs to get it dialed in....and you used to it.
    I did some videos for the new.....they may help.
    Whoooooo Buddy.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Icemanat95, A couple of points for you to explore. First is the hammock size to your body size. The length & width of the hammock have an impact on how comfortable you can get. For example, if you're tall - a shorter length hammock will cause you to lay more "pinched" between the ends. If you're heavier, you might get more sag.

Another big impact is the height & span of the straps. For example, I put up my ENOs in my shed. I get a great lay with the straps adjusted. In my WBBBs, I cannot get enough distance between the ends for a good hang. I get too much sag, which causes me to feel the fabric running down the center on my calves when laying on the diagonal. Watch Brandon's video on how to hang a WBBB on his site. He shows the optimum angle of 25 to 30 degrees. Obviously, Shugs videos are the best information on the subject (maybe he should put out a greatest hits video series when he hits 1 million YouTube views?)

The pads will effect the lay too. If I inflate my pad much more than half, it causes the hammock to lay different.

The sag to the floor is a little unexpected. Either your straps slipped, your hanging lines stretched, or your fabric stretched. I wouldn't expect the last two, being a Hennessy; however, I don't own one. You can always upgrade the straps with something else. Many people here at the HFs are fans of Whoopie slings, me included.

Check out Professor Hammocks three primers on YouTube (grizzlyadams here on HF), for an in depth look at suspension options.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Glad you stuck with it and figured out the pad was your problem.

As a fellow Restless Leg Syndrome sufferer I can appreciate how that further complicates things. FWIW though, I now sleep in a hammock full time and have less RLS.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Thanks Shug

[QUOTE=Shug;497735]It can take a couple of hangs to get it dialed in....and you used to it.
    I did some videos for the new.....they may help.
    Whoooooo Buddy.
    Shug

/QUOTE]

I've seen some gear videos that put me to sleep, but not Shug's! He is like a combination of Mike Rowe, the Cable Guy, Red Green and Denis Leary (Rescue Me). Thanks for the good info with humor.

• + New Posts