HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web

First backpack trip 34lb pack.

I normally do 5 to 7 day kayak trips this will be my first multi day backpacking trip. I was wondering how I did on pack weight. the total pack weight including food, water, and fishing gear is right at 34lbs for 3 days how does this sound? I am not looking to cover a lot of miles nor is anything titanium. I know I could spend money and get lighter, I also know I have some just incase things too. so I guess what I want to know is am I at the heavy end or in the middle as far as pack weight.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I think its a whole new ball park for having fishing and food and water and pack. alot of people wont carry that much. but for everything you have thats not bad at all. my friend goes camping with fishing,food,water,supplies at wel over 45 pounds. your set up might be heavy for here but heck man we all areant gram guys
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    I normally do 5 to 7 day kayak trips this will be my first multi day backpacking trip. I was wondering how I did on pack weight. the total pack weight including food, water, and fishing gear is right at 34lbs for 3 days how does this sound? I am not looking to cover a lot of miles nor is anything titanium. I know I could spend money and get lighter, I also know I have some just incase things too. so I guess what I want to know is am I at the heavy end or in the middle as far as pack weight.
    My pack weight, including consumables, is typically 25-28 lbs depending on season. Warmer weather (= less clothing and insulation) will yield a pack weight 23-25 lbs (maybe a bit more if I include an adult beverage!). You're not at the super heavy end (I've actually carried a 50+ lb pack in my younger and more foolish days), but you've got opportunity to pare some additional weight. It does get more expensive when you move toward lighter gear, but it REALLY helps make the hiking part less stressful.

Most of the time, a good benchmark for pack weight is to look at weight BEFORE consumables (water, food, fuel). This base weight is the most often quoted pack weight.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If I am over 20 pounds with 3 days of food plus 1 liter of water, I fret about it. But, that's not where people start. Do some forum research and you will get that down over time without spending a large forture (maybe a small fortune, depending).

I lightened my load through reading http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...:64.251.224.99 They get more exteme than I do, but I learned a lot and I can pick & choose my methods for lightening up while maintaining my minimum comfort level.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Pack weight depends on the person... if you feel you can handle that weight
    then take it
    most ppl find out on there first trip they packed way too much
    and end up cutting alot out for there next trip
    for me if my pack weight gets over 15lbs i get cranky ...
    my summer base weight is under 7lbs .... my 3 season is around 8lbs and winter is 11lbs

but i'm a UL guy.... not everyone would be able to do 3-5 days with my load out

i say hike with what you have and if you feel it's too much... come back make 3 piles of gear... one pile is the pile of gear you used ..include your first aid kit in this pile

next pile put the gear you used one or two times

next pile is the pile of gear you didn't use at all

take the pile you didn't use and put it away.... next goto the pile you used one or two times and find out what you can live without or replace with items that have more then one use ...
    i do this after every trip.. even to this day i still do it and it works
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with G.L.P. If you can carry it comfortably then no worries. Years ago I'd carry 40+ lbs but now I am more streamlined.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Considering it's your first trip I would be pretty happy with that weight. Of course you could go spend a bunch of money to get lighter gear but it will be a shot in the dark regarding whether you like it or not. Start with what you have, use it, and you will learn about things you don't need or would like a lighter version of.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Thanks I just wanted a little input before the solo hike that starts tonight.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    Thanks I just wanted a little input before the solo hike that starts tonight.
    Enjoy your hike!!

Post-hike, as you are unpacking, consider each item using the three pile method suggested earlier in this thread. As you consider changes to items you still expect to take in the future, I strongly urge you to use a kitchen scale and a spreadsheet to keep track of what you have vs. what you are considering as alternatives. It has always been a bit of a shock to consider how much difference there can be when it is added together.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    +1 on the scale! That's the best tool for lightening your load
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"