Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Reports seem to be indicating the black bear is extremely aggressive when hungry. They like carrion so fight for you life. Grizzles prefer live kills and are very curious. So passivity may play a roll in surviving an attack. In any event... "whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone... It's going to be bad for the pitcher. " (Man of LaMancha)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wardex66 View Post
    A woman was found Thursday night partially eaten and four black bears were put down near Lillooet British Columbia.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...907/story.html

The article also states: A recent study by University of Calgary professor Stephen Herrero suggests that predatory bear (black) attacks are on the rise in North America.
    Lets be clear about the facts. It has not been confirmed that she was killed by a bear. The four bears killed by RCMP are not necessarily related to the case, the RCMP just went out and killed four bears in her area and then started doing paw and print comparisons to the crime scene. She had complained to authorities for a couple of yrs about a bear trying to get into her place and nobody did anything. Now their playing catch up. Sad situation all around.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Lets be clear about the facts. It has not been confirmed that she was killed by a bear. The four bears killed by RCMP are not necessarily related to the case, the RCMP just went out and killed four bears in her area and then started doing paw and print comparisons to the crime scene.

She had complained to authorities for a couple of yrs about a bear trying to get into her place and nobody did anything. Now their playing catch up. Sad situation all around.
    Are you kidding? She had been complaining ( AKA seeking help) about bear problems for 2 years and now she is dead, and bears may be involved?

I wish she had that 12 gauge slug gun with her, and had used it!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Oh yes, that is the Cat's Meow all right! Nothing like six 72 caliber 12 gauge slugs for those close up encounters with the big boys, especially if the bear spray does not do it. Wonder what that weighs? I'm guessing 4 or 5 lbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by wardex66 View Post
    The 18.5 inch barrel Mossberg (with an OAL of 31 inches and about 6 pounds) is certainly an option but not the best IMO. With the .72 cal slug, 2.75 inch shell will not cut it for bear defense IMO; not enough penetration. When you go up to 3" magnum shells this will limit your round count to 3 (maybe 4) +1 or less, which I guess is good enough but..... I would further like to point that shooting 3" magnum 1+ ounce slugs from a shotgun with only a pistol grip is not very fun and is painful for most people. If multiple rounds are required in an emergency situation the large amount of recoil will slow your target acquisition and serious impair your aim. Shot placement is important. If you do decide to use this firearm for bear defense don't cheap out on the ammunition (no aluminum). The cheap stuff can jam. No matter which firearm you choose nothing beats practice and keeping recurrent with your firearm. Having said that the Mossy 500 is a good fun-gun.

See new thread, don't want to hijack, but interesting topic, so will continue ( if allowed?)

EDIT: well, no I can't, because Wardex is not yet a donating member and can't come to the off topic area. So, guess that is that. Maybe I can at least get this in without hijacking too terribly?

Well, maybe not with the old style pumpkin ball, though I have always been awed by their penetration and knockdown power at very close range. But there are many types of improved slugs these days, and any 12 g slug dwarfs magnum pistols I'm pretty sure:
    http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagic.html?&L=0
    http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/241.html
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...for-Brown-Bear ( see especially post #9, 16,17. Though post #12 seems to indicate that only large magnum rifles would consistently penetrate Griz skulls)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-04-2011 at 12:15.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Greeetings All

I know how we like to use the expression Bear Burrito for our hammocks, however this video below from a fellow Canadian Hammocker up in the Yukon Territory shows the term is very much more than an expression.

Moral of the story is to be smart about your bear safety and be sure you are adequately prepared for an unexpected bear encounter.

Cheers

Brian
    Thank God it was a Hennessy and not a Warbonnet That would've made me cry.

BF

Images
    Olsen did not think that the bears had been drawn to the area because of improper bear management: “The area was clean. There was no food or any garbage lying around that could have attracted the bears.”
    Olsen said that deadly maulings by bears are extremely rare. “There have only been two fatal incidents involving black bears in B.C. since 2000,” he said.
    The last incident took place in 2007, when 31-year-old Robin Kochorek’s body was found with a black bear near it at the Panorama Mountain Resort southwest of Banff. She was reported missing after going mountain biking. The bear was shot on site by the RCMP.
    Previously in September 2002, 31-year-old Christopher Bayduza was attacked and killed by a bear when he went for a walk behind a trailer at a remote oil-rigging site near Fort Nelson............................................ .......
    A recent study by University of Calgary professor Stephen Herrero suggests that predatory bear attacks are on the rise in North America. The study says that lone male black bears hunting people as potential sources of food are a greater cause of deadly maulings than mother bears protecting their young, as widely thought. People can be trained to recognize the behaviour of a bear that is considering them as prey and deter an attack, says the study.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...#ixzz1R9oOAh2Z

Whenever I read about yet another bear related death in the southern US mountains or the west or Canada, or mountain lion attacks out west the 1st things officials always stress is how rare it is.

Anyway, not rare enough. And I wonder if this woman living in a remote Canadian area was armed?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, so who is going to make the first shotgun mount, or pistol holster on a hammock? Wow talk about getting some good sleep. Every rustle in the leaves, or crack of a small branch, you would giggle a little.

I have a black bear that comes around my house. It seem close to the size of a honda civic (it was standing on all 4's next to one). It was very skittish, and ran as soon as I tried to teach it some tricks.
    LOL, no really it scares me a bit, I like to hang in my back yard, and there is a bear there every week or so from what I can tell. I have seen it once now, but lots of evidence(scat and prints), shows me that he's been coming around for quite a while.

Maybe a super loud whistle hanging from the ridge line could make enough noise to make them want to leave you alone.
    anyways, thanks for making the video, and thanks for posting it here.
    Maybe you can send your hammock to 2Q and Zq and get them to patch it and put zippers on it. Zippers does wonders for the HH.
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    BillyBob Quote;
    Anyway, not rare enough. And I wonder if this woman living in a remote Canadian area was armed?;Quote

Remote is a tricky work used by mostly city folk. Most of BC is wilderness in that people don't live there but BC is a resource province so its hard to find areas in BC that the logging industry hasn't been in. She was near an oil rig near Ft Nelson and to allot of folks in the interior of BC that might not be considered remote. Its all perspective. If your a rancher or hunter you would have a rifle at your place but otherwise not necessarily. And your not allowed to walk around with your rifle so their use is pretty much restricted to problems on your property.
    The woman in Lilloett. Its hard to know why someone didn't look out for her by putting a live bear trap at her place to get rid of it. Relations between native people and the RCMP are strained to say the least. There can even be problems within the tribe. I know that area. Worked there a number of times in the eighties. Very beautiful area. I remember thinking that i felt a magic and Mmmm, austereness about the area. Its one of the places i think about revisiting.
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    BillyBob Quote;
    Anyway, not rare enough. And I wonder if this woman living in a remote Canadian area was armed?;Quote

Remote is a tricky work used by mostly city folk. Most of BC is wilderness in that people don't live there but BC is a resource province so its hard to find areas in BC that the logging industry hasn't been in. She was near an oil rig near Ft Nelson and to allot of folks in the interior of BC that might not be considered remote. Its all perspective. .......
    bill
    OK, I was just going by the wording in the press release. Then again, compared to down here, probably every where in BC that is not actually inside the rare good sized town is probably remote, by our perspective.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345