So I've got the supplies for a DIY IX UQ based of sclittlefield's instructions, and am also planning on doing a TQ of IX as well. A few questions before I get rolling on all this.
1. I plan on using two layers of IX, and no shell layers. Besides the fact that I need to be a bit more careful with them, is there any other major reason that isn't a good idea? I'm making these to cut down weight, so I figured I'd go as light as possible.
2. I am trying to get down to 45-50 degrees and up with these. Will two layers cut it? I'm okay with wearing all my clothes to bed, which would be hiking socks, hiking pants, synthetic short sleeve and long sleeve t-shirts, and if really needed, a wind shirt.
3. With the UQ, and only two layers, what should I do in regards to differential cut? Inner layer pleated or darted, outer layer normal? Is pleated or darted better?
4. If I use the Triangle Thingies (just made some, haven't used them yet), what's the best way to set up my suspension? Just run a shock cord from each corner of the UQ to its corresponding corner of the triangle with a cord lock for adjustment? I'm not a huge fan of the channels, but it could be worse.
5. For the TQ, inner layer pleated/darted, outer layer normal? Any recommend instructions for DIY TQ's? Curious for what links have worked for people.
6. Footbox sewn or omnitaped with cinch closure?
I know a lot of these questions are personal preference. If that's the case, what's your preference? Thanks!