Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images

IX for TQ and UQ Questions

So I've got the supplies for a DIY IX UQ based of sclittlefield's instructions, and am also planning on doing a TQ of IX as well. A few questions before I get rolling on all this.

1. I plan on using two layers of IX, and no shell layers. Besides the fact that I need to be a bit more careful with them, is there any other major reason that isn't a good idea? I'm making these to cut down weight, so I figured I'd go as light as possible.

2. I am trying to get down to 45-50 degrees and up with these. Will two layers cut it? I'm okay with wearing all my clothes to bed, which would be hiking socks, hiking pants, synthetic short sleeve and long sleeve t-shirts, and if really needed, a wind shirt.

3. With the UQ, and only two layers, what should I do in regards to differential cut? Inner layer pleated or darted, outer layer normal? Is pleated or darted better?

4. If I use the Triangle Thingies (just made some, haven't used them yet), what's the best way to set up my suspension? Just run a shock cord from each corner of the UQ to its corresponding corner of the triangle with a cord lock for adjustment? I'm not a huge fan of the channels, but it could be worse.

5. For the TQ, inner layer pleated/darted, outer layer normal? Any recommend instructions for DIY TQ's? Curious for what links have worked for people.

6. Footbox sewn or omnitaped with cinch closure?

I know a lot of these questions are personal preference. If that's the case, what's your preference? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I made a double layer IX top quilt. I had it out in 35*F temperture with thick wool baselayer and nylon wind jacket and I was very cold. I had a down UQ. In my experience, it is good to around 50* and still has a bit of safety factor. Colder than that, I take my down TQ. I haven't had any trouble with the IX exposed (no nylon cover). However, if I were to make an UQ out of IX, I would probably cover the underside (next to ground) with nylon.

Here are the instructions for my IX quilt. If I were to do it again, I would simply sew up the footbox, triangle style, instead of drawcord.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29606
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I made a double layer IX top quilt. I had it out in 35*F temperture with thick wool baselayer and nylon wind jacket and I was very cold. I had a down UQ. In my experience, it is good to around 50* and still has a bit of safety factor. Colder than that, I take my down TQ. I haven't had any trouble with the IX exposed (no nylon cover). However, if I were to make an UQ out of IX, I would probably cover the underside (next to ground) with nylon.

Here are the instructions for my IX quilt. If I were to do it again, I would simply sew up the footbox, triangle style, instead of drawcord.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29606
    Thanks for the input! It seems as though temperature wise, it may be what I'm looking for.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Bump? Any help out there?

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made an IX double layer top quilt and I lined it in and out (not sure the lining added anything to the issue) I have used this quilt in temps down to the mid to upper 50's and I have felt clammy when I wake up. I have seen a top quilt by RJCress that uses a vent at the foot end to (I assume) help with this issue. here is the link to his thread ---> http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29579
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    when you make your darts, don't cut them off. Keeping a gap between the layers makes it warmer. If you can, sew small pleats down the length (1/2" is enough) at the center and 3 inches or so apart across where your back will be. do this in the top layer and the bottom layer, have the pleats face each other in the middle. this will ensure some gap, which makes the IX work better.

My 3 layer (covered) had me sweating in the mid-40's...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Here's a thread I just started about my IQ UQ I just completed for my wife, there may be something useful in there for putting together both a YQ and a UQ. Hope it helps
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts