Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    JRB, Clark ultralight, Hennessy . .
    We bought Sawyers spray at Dicks near us a few weeks ago.
    I was kind of surprised that they carried it.

Marti

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ...because it's been nearly a week.

I was in Tulsa today, looking to score some permethrin for my hammocks, and it dawned on me: for such an effective product, finding it sure can be hit or miss. Why is that, do you s'pose?

Ba$$Pro had it, btw. Academy and WM did not. Go figure.
    Permethrin is one of the primary ingredients, usually with one other, whether for ants, flying insects, roaches, whatever. Just look at the ingredients in Raid etc.

Wanted is an understanding of what why permethrin is usually sold in such low concentrations. (Same goes for varying fractions of DEET in repelents.) Please, leave expressions of obvious cynicism aside; anybody allowed at a keyboard can come up with them.

Does someone here who is visiting other camping groups know of such enthusiasm for permethrin elsewhere?

I'd personally be happy to instead have an inexpensive lure that was so attractive to 'skeeters and other blood suckers I could just place it 10 yards away and have 95% of them congregate there.

I guess my camping partner might nominate me for that role.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Pyritherin, Cutter, & Deet are sold in low concentrations because they are absorbed into the skin. The lower ratio's are there to provide effective relief at a sound value and to save money on the production side. The other answer is to avoid litigation from people that may injest, or pour a bottle all over them selves. Overall its to avoid a problem of not following the directions. But I have to point out your post got me thinking and I had to look it up......

United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) reported 14 to 46 cases of potential DEET associated seizures, including 4 deaths. The EPA states: "... it does appear that some cases are likely related to DEET toxicity," but observed that with 30% of the US population using DEET, the likely seizure rate is only about one per 100 million users.

Sorce : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_repellent
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

i worked in the outdoor industry for years. Deet is the worse stuff for your clothing and any optics you have that may get sprayed on. I use Picariden. It works better than Permetherin and isn't harmful like DEET. Doesn't smell bad either. just my 2cents

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olvegrn View Post
    i worked in the outdoor industry for years. Deet is the worse stuff for your clothing and any optics you have that may get sprayed on. I use Picariden. It works better than Permetherin and isn't harmful like DEET. Doesn't smell bad either. just my 2cents
    To the best of my knowledge, DEET and Picariden are insect repellents. They interfere with the "targeting" functions of insects but won't kill them. I agree that DEET is not clothing or gear friendly...and can actually dissolve some synthetics.

Permethrin is an insecticide. It kills insects on contact and has relatively long persistence (keeps working over time!). There may be some incidental "repellent" effects if you wear Permethrin treated clothing, but it's effect on insects is to kill them if they want to spend any time on your clothing.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olvegrn View Post
    Well I love Picaridin, for sure. And much prefer it to DEET. But works better than Permethrin? I'm not so sure about that. Though I would agree that it is probably better than using just Permethrin treated clothing alone with nothing on exposed skin. Then it might be preferable to just sray Picaridin all over both skin and clothing. But it will only last a relatively short while on clothing, whereas the Permethrin will last many weeks.

Of course I like to use the 2 together, and that has been bombproof for me so far. But when I have failed to use the Picaridin on exposed skin, with treated clothing only, I still have not been bit yet. But I would have been, one time, in the buggiest swamp you can imagine, 1 mossy landed on my bare arm. So I sprayed a little Picaridin on my arms and never saw another bug that day.

But using just the Picaridin, I have managed to get one bite while working in the yard, on my little finger. I figure it was an area I failed to get covered with the spray.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Pyritherin, Cutter, & Deet are sold in low concentrations because they are absorbed into the skin. ...
    Another reason is that higher concentrations have severely diminished returns. Once you pass about 33% (I think it is), increased concentrations have little to no additional repellent power anyway. So, it's a complete waste, and danger.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I found the Sawyers one time last year at Dicks, but no more. Probably best to order it.
    Correction: I was at ****'s an hour ago, and they DO HAVE Sawyers. But it wasn't the 24 oz ( 4 sets of clothes I think) pump bottle like I got before. It was a spray can for 2 sets of clothes at $7.99. I saw that last time I was there, but I failed to see the Sawyers brand name on it. So I thought it was some unknown brand. But, they have it.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    ...I agree that DEET is not clothing or gear friendly...and can actually dissolve some synthetics.
    True. But, I used DEET on leather boots and poly/cotton blends for years with no damage, and to good effect.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12