Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Short people hammock setup

I am 6,0 and have very little trouble setting up my hammock. My girlfriend on the other hand is 5,0 and doesnt get the tree straps high enough on the tree when she is in charge of putting the hammocks up. Do you guys have any advice besides me setting up?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMad2000 View Post
    I am 6,0 and have very little trouble setting up my hammock. My girlfriend on the other hand is 5,0 and doesnt get the tree straps high enough on the tree when she is in charge of putting the hammocks up. Do you guys have any advice besides me setting up?
    ive seen someone use a stick to push them up but I cant say it was a bulletproof idea haha
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Even at 5 foot, she should still be able to reach the optimal height for trees 13 feet apart. Further than that, treking poles or even a stout branch can help work the webbing up the tree. Alternately, change duties so your 6 feet can be utilized.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I mentioned something about this on the warbonnet forum. I'm 5'7" or 8" and often chose trees further apart. I can reach around 7 foot high but when putting the straps up and around your arms have to be extended to some degree so it can be tough on certain trees. Especially on the blackbird as it needs a bit more height for an optimum hang.

Some thing I will next time I'm out is to look for smaller trees, a shorter distance apart and if not be on the look out for some kind log or tree stump that's safe to stand on.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    I'm 5'7" or 8" and often chose trees further apart.
    I totally read that the wrong way!
    I am 6', so I rarely have a problem, but my gf is like, 5'6", and often needs a boost with the tree straps. There's a few tricks, but they're more easily explained in person. They have to do with slinging the end of the strap around nice and high to begin with.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    I totally read that the wrong way!
    I am 6', so I rarely have a problem, but my gf is like, 5'6", and often needs a boost with the tree straps. There's a few tricks, but they're more easily explained in person. They have to do with slinging the end of the strap around nice and high to begin with.

PF
    Which is my solution. Ever watch a lumberjack climb a tree? they use a strap with one end in each hand and sling the loop around and up the tree. clip and gently pull the hammock end of the strap until biner meets tree. There you are! confused? hard to explain but i bet there's a youtube video. search lumberjack tree climbing or something like.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I'm 5'1" and on most occasions, I can just reach up as high as I can and get the straps where they need to be. On the few times that the strap needs to be higher, I'll find a sturdy stick, usually with a fork in the branches right at the end, hook the strap (I've already put the strap around the tree) with the stick and slowly work it higher up the tree. My treking poles also work well at doing this if there's no sticks laying about. In the morning, after I've got everything off the hammock (like the under quilt), I'll take the stick or treking pole and work the strap back down to where I can reach it.
    Tell her to practice a few times doing this by herself.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I am 5ish and have not had too much trouble. I try to pick trees about 9 regular steps apart, which is about 14 feet. I start to have trouble when the trees are around 16 feet apart, but I use a trekking pole to push the strap up high enough.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMad2000 View Post
    The solution to your quandary is for each of you to set up your own hammock. For your girlfriend, finding trees closer together will allow her to hang her hammock properly by just reaching as far above her head as is possible. As others have already mentioed using a stick or trekking pole to work the strap higher up the tree will also get the job done.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have 2 sets of tree straps. one is 6' the other is 8' i think. She usually gets the the longer one for some reason and i guess that would be easy to fling higher on the tree and then she would also have to tighten things a little more. Maybe. Also the trekking pole idea she will have to give it a try.

Thanks for the input guys.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast