Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Questions from a ground dweller

Hi to the Hanging Community!

Stumbled upon Just Jeff's site a few weeks ago when I've been looking for a new bivy. Hammock camping as an alternative to sleeping on the ground has got me really curious so I've read up on as much as I could and even watched a few videos. *salute to Shug*

Since I will be in the US in about two months I thought I might as well get myself a hammock, so why not go for a WBBB? And maybe add a Superfly...

However, there are a few questions that are still unclear to me despite going through old threads. Certain stats and info might simply be outdated.

1) Material:

I have seen several members mention a BB with 1.0 material, although I can't see that option on the WB site. Is it special ordered? Obviously, it is lighter than the 1.1 material but what about strength and abrasion resistance?

On the WB site, it also states that the hammock material is not waterproof nor coated to allow breathability. Nevertheless, I have read a few times in the forum that it is treated with a DWR.

2) Cords:

The BB comes with my choice of suspension, but what about the tie-outs? Are any cords included? This question also goes for the Superfly: is it just the tarp without any cords at all? (Noob question: Guyline = Ridgeline???)

3) Seam sealing:

Seams tend to put holes into water-tight fabrics. I've read that the stitches around the pull-outs of the Superfly need sealing. Are there any other spots that need treatment?

4) Tarp doors:

Are they permanently fixed on the latest model? I would like to know because having the option to leave them unattached if not needed saves a few grams.

5) Special adjustments:

Has anyone requested special modifications, such as the foot box or the zipper on the other side? I would love to know what and why...

That's all for now....

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    All needed cordage is included on a BB. Yes, that means it comes with tie out cords for both sides. I have no idea about the tarp tie outs, as I do not use one of his.

The ridge line is the peak of the tarp. Some folks use a continuous ridge line (crl) while others just tie out the 2 top ends to the tree. Makes for an inverted V. As far as I can tell, a CRL makes it much easier to center the tarp over the hammock, as you attach the tarp to the CRL with something like prussic knots.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    1) Material:

I have seen several members mention a BB with 1.0 material, although I can't see that option on the WB site. Is it special ordered? Obviously, it is lighter than the 1.1 material but what about strength and abrasion resistance?
    The ability of hamock fabric weights availability vairies based on what fabrics Brandon has. My wife has a 1.0 dbl and I have a 1.7 dbl. I have yet to see any signs of wear on either. If you want something not listed, email Brandon.

On the WB site, it also states that the hammock material is not waterproof nor coated to allow breathability. Nevertheless, I have read a few times in the forum that it is treated with a DWR.
    Mine are not water proof and I have no idea if they are DWR. Have to ask Brandon on that one. They do breath very nicely.

2) Cords:

The BB comes with my choice of suspension, but what about the tie-outs? Are any cords included? This question also goes for the Superfly: is it just the tarp without any cords at all? (Noob question: Guyline = Ridgeline???)
    The BB has a tie out on the shelf and zipper side. Mine came with a shock cord that I just add a tent stake to. You do not have to use the ite outs on the hammock but I do as it opens up the hammock and keeps the shelf off of me.

The tarps come with lots of tie out points but you have to provide your own tie out line and ridge line. The Guy lines are also called tie out lines and are used to pull corners and sides of tarp tight and out. The ridge line is what the tarp hangs from.

3) Seam sealing:

Seams tend to put holes into water-tight fabrics. I've read that the stitches around the pull-outs of the Superfly need sealing. Are there any other spots that need treatment?
    I have not seamed my BMJ, so far so good.

4) Tarp doors:

Are they permanently fixed on the latest model? I would like to know because having the option to leave them unattached if not needed saves a few grams.
    No answer to that one

5) Special adjustments:

Has anyone requested special modifications, such as the foot box or the zipper on the other side? I would love to know what and why...
    Yes, Brandon has made several special BB's for our gravity challenged hangers, foot boxes on the left, special skeeter netting and even a red colored BB that I saw listed for sale to day
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hey TKay

good to see that hammocking is catching on in Europe as well! I got my first hammock (a WBBB) about 1 year ago and am now looking to hang indoors as well...

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    Since I will be in the US in about two months I thought I might as well get myself a hammock, so why not go for a WBBB? And maybe add a Superfly...
    My advice: order early. Especially if you are in the US for only a couple of weeks. If you're unlucky, the items you want to order are just out of stock or backordered, and it can take a while to get them.

1) Material:

Had a look at the website; the 1.0 WBBB doesn't seem to be available anymore. My guess is, that it's backordered. But as recommended, send Warbonnet an email and ask. He'll let you know. I have a 1.0 and it's perfect for my size and weight - and it's light, too. But the 1.1 isn't too heavy either.

The material isn't waterproof as it would make sleeping very sweaty. Don't know about the DWR.

2) Cords:

Go for the webbing, not the cords - and don't forget the carabiners as they're not included.

The tie-out cords on the hammock are included. You'll need to buy pegs, though. I got the MSR Groundhogs. Best pegs I ever had, although they're not exactly light weight.

The tarp comes without any guy lines. You'll need to buy or DIY some yourself. Pegs are not included either.

3) Seam sealing:

I didn't seal my Superfly. I've had problems with water under the tarp, but it turned out to be an issue with running the ridge line under the tarp without drip stops. I run the line over the tarp now and haven't had any problems since then. I didn't seam seal the panel pulls either and never had water coming through. But I heard that you might want to seam seal them if you want to use the tarp in porch mode in the rain.

4) Tarp doors:

Yes, the doors are attached now. If you don't want them attached, get the Mamajamba and buy the doors extra. I still have the old Superfly without doors. Superfly plus extra doors is heavier than Superfly with integrated doors. If you have the money, go for the Superfly with attached doors and a tarp without doors. You'll do it sooner or later anyway I found that the Superfly is a lot larger than I needed on my trips and ordered the Edge tarp, which is quite a bit lighter.

5) Special adjustments:

I only exchanged some of the cord locks with micro cord locks (from AHE). Doesn't save a lot of weight, though. I also exchanged the cord lock on the tie outs for a cord lock with double holes. I find it makes using the tie outs a bit easier and more stable. But these are not big modifications. I tried an adjustable ridge line, only to find out that the stock ridge line really has the perfect length. So I swapped it back.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome TKay! The DWR is on the top quilts and underquilts.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    [QUOTE=TKay;499367]

Welcome TKay!

"...in a couple months..." ??? If your itinerary allows and you will be near Washington DC, may I suggest you join us for the big Fall MAHHA group hang which will be Oct. 16 - 18 - about 90 minutes from DC. There will be 50-75 hammockers with tons of advice, gear from vendors, gear to buy/borrow from fellow hammockers, etc.

Where will you be here in the U.S.A. ? There are Forum members everywhere whom you can hook up with for advice. If in the DC area, I can offer a ride...?
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Thanks for all the answers!

@hutzelbein: Servus! I had been thinking about ordering early but the problem is where to ship it to... I'll be traveling all over the place so have to think where it will be the most convenient to pick up from.

@SkyDog: Thanks for your offer! Unfortunately, Washington is impossible in my tight trip schedule. Besides, I'll only be there in Sept. I would have loved seeing so many hammockers hanging together. I'll be going from NY to NJ, then FL, before going to CA and NV... I can't make any side trips since my travel companions have it all planned in (nano)minute detail.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Where to ship

@SkyDog: Thanks for your offer! Unfortunately, Washington is impossible in my tight trip schedule. Besides, I'll only be there in Sept. I would have loved seeing so many hammockers hanging together. I'll be going from NY to NJ, then FL, before going to CA and NV... I can't make any side trips since my travel companions have it all planned in (nano)minute detail.
    NY ==> NJ ==> FL means you will be traveling I-95 -- I am 23 miles south of DC and only ten minutes off I-95

Your companions will need gas and a bathroom break ;-) -- I could be waiting just off the I-95 Exit with your order, have my hammock set-up between some trees that are there by a gas station and give you my 15 minutes of advice. If you think that would work, just PM me.

If not... Have a wonderful vacation and safe trip!
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

• + New Posts