HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Now you are hooked - there is no going back.
    I have a GT UL and it is comfortable enough to sleep overnight (for me). However, you will find, if you compare with another hammock, that the GT is a bit on the small side. Works OK for me as I'm only 5'6". It seems the longer the hammock, the more comfortable the lie.
    BTW, it is very easy to make a structural ridge line. Just use a length of braided mason line 80-85% of the overall length of the hammock. It works really well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Im afraid you are right.

>Wandering city parks looking for perfect trees.
    >Trying to figure out a way to get hooks in the wall in my room to hang indoors
    >Getting retarded ideas about hanging out on my fire escape
    >Looking at other (wider) hammocks when I havent even slept in the one I have
    >Wishing I didnt live in the city
    >lurking around way too much on this forum.

Hooked indeed.

I think tomorrow night I am going 'to the country' and will be able to do my first outdoor overnight in the woods (few hunderd yards behind a friends house LOL). Cant wait... Unfortunately the netting for my D.I.Y. bugnet and a 10X10 tarp are still on the way, but Im going to see what I can do with some bugspray and an 'almost definitely too small' 8X5 blue tarp. Im too stoked to not give it a shot.

Hammocks should come with a warning label.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker Zip
    Tarp
    stock hennessy
    Insulation
    HH super shelter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    yeah, you've got it bad. I started with a hennessy special at christmas (2 of em) and now have made my own and purchased an ENO double. Gotta have extra for the fam! Whoopies and ridge lines for them all....and i'm barely getting started. Once you learn the lingo and go to a hang you're just gonna want more!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    8x5 blue tarp should be hung as an asym. diamond. The ridgeline will be 9'6" about. Just about covering the GT UL which should have a ridgelione length of about 7'.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah I imagine that the tarp isnt going to help me much if there is any wind at all.
    If the GT UL has a ridgeline of 7 it will do better than I thought though.

I have a 10X10 on the way that I guess is about 14' or so when hung asym... should be better than 'ol blue.

Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    So glad you posted this video. How I missed that one, I'll never know, but I've been wasting some of my time learning some knots that I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I went with whoopies for a whole season until I ran into a set of trees that were too close together to accomodate my whoopies (8 foot hammock length + a couple of inches room for marlinspike hitch at the tree + 2 feet minimum whoopie length = 12'6'' minimum hanging distance), switched right back to webbing due to the limitless shortening (lengthening can be accomplished with extenders) - different strokes for different folks.

To lighten up your descender ring weight by half, put only 1 at each end instead of 2. Use the method at 2:00 of this video and you still have all the adjustability and half the weight of the rings.

Nice setup all in all. I have the forest green UL and the blue for my wife for backyard lounging. Great hammock for the price.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I got this Grand Trunk Camo hammock for my son....he just loves it. For me, it seems a bit short, but it is an excellent purchase non the less with the right price of only $20. I have his pics in my gallery of him in this hammock. Since we're new to this, we will just have to use poly tarps for this season as we build up our supplies. I have been reading a lot of really good reviews of Grand Trunk ultra lite. (ours didn't come with ropes either)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

1st solo overnight in the GT UL!
    Totally great. Everything pitched pretty fast considering my lack of experience. Very comfortable hang afetr messing around with the tension twice. It ended up being most comfortable for me when it was pretty tight. The 8X5 tarp hung asym would not have done anything for my head or feet if it had rained. I am very happy that I am getting a 10X10 tarp. Bugnet material for a DIY one is coming also. I was very lucky last night as the bugs weren't too bad and i t was cold enough to pull the sleeping bag up all the way. My next hammock will have a bugnet, and be reversable so that I don't have to use it all the time.

I also think that some kind of snake skin arrangement is in order for the tarp so that it can all be left in tact between hangs so that it can be deployed and broke down faster. The bulk of my setup and take down time was cutting or rolling (is there a better term...spooling maybe?) The paracord I used for the tarp. And... this hammock is awesome, but I can see the benefit of a slightly bigger one.
    Super happy that it was so enjoyable in the 'real world' (500 yards out into the woods behind a friends country house in upstate NY. They thought I was insane to go sleep out there. Heh.
    Last edited by Jakerock; 07-10-2011 at 10:55.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Looks like a beautiful place to camp. It's good to do your fist hangs close to a bail out refuge in case it all went pear shaped. Camp looks good, and nicely set up, but a couple of points to think about. 1 you have pitched your tarp pretty high. If rain was around, you might want to have the tarp ridgeline much closer to the hammock ridgeline, also stake it at a sharp angle down to the ground close to the hammock. 2 Can't think of another one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yes. In hindsight I wasn't prepared for rain at all! Furthermore, a small tarp like the one I was using would go a lot further toward dryness if it was hung low...
    I have a lot to learn yet. Getting things right for rain is crutial.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast