Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    I started out like you and just got an ENO with no bugnet. Years later, I'm still in it and happy swinging.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Whatever I do in the future, for now that Grand Trunk Double Hammock through REI Outlet for $35 is too good to pass up. I just placed my order. I don't even know yet how/where I'll be able to do a test hang, but I'll figure something out Absolute worst-case is I go tent camping and bring the hammock with me to try out. This big monster (126" x 78") will be great for the wife and I.

So now I just need me some suspension. I'll be PMing the guy about some whoopie sling and go from there.

Loving this community so far!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'd just go ahead and get the blackbird. If you don't like it, you can get most of your money back selling it here. Plus it comes ready to use without having to modify it. Check out the for sale section and see how long blackbirds last once listed for sale.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I started out with a hennessy expedetion and grand trunk ul, and while I don't regret trying any hammock, I wish I had saved the money by buying WBBB right away.

Since you're going the "cheaper" route, maybe make sure you really like the eno before you buy a bugnet. They can be pricey and that money could go toward your desired WBBB. I'm sure the double will be super comfortable (I've yet to try one), I feel width for me is the biggest thing for comfort. Also I'm your size as well.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    I started out with a hennessy expedetion and grand trunk ul, and while I don't regret trying any hammock, I wish I had saved the money by buying WBBB right away.

Since you're going the "cheaper" route, maybe make sure you really like the eno before you buy a bugnet. They can be pricey and that money could go toward your desired WBBB. I'm sure the double will be super comfortable (I've yet to try one), I feel width for me is the biggest thing for comfort. Also I'm your size as well.
    Definitely mirrors my thoughts here. While I'm pretty sure I'll like the world of hammock camping, I'm not going to put too much money into it without knowing for certain.

The $40 (including shipping) for that Grand Trunk double is a good price point for what I want to experiment with. Figure another 10 or 20 bucks in suspension that I could use for other purposes if I ended up not sticking with hammocks for whatever reason... should be good.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The GT will be really similar to the ENO. Good choice. Get some straps ordered like these:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/945324

Order like 30' so you can have two straps at 13' each. You can later use them with whoopies and a marlin spike, but in the mean time, you can just attach them to the GT. Check out GrizzlyAdams 3 videos for details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    i like my skeeter beater pro, have used it for the last 3 years during scout summer camp and all of the winter events not as wide as a wbb no shelf or foot box..however when i purchased mine it cost me 55 bucks from an ebay seller from Col. called (gooutsideandplay) alot of hammock for the money at the time, it has been very durable and i think i may be getting a few mods done to make just right for me...good luck with your choice..

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LeDude View Post
    I got into hammocking not too long ago and decided to test the waters with a couple of Grand Trunk Ultra lights which have turned out to be an exceptional value at $15.00. I got mine from Sunny Sports, their prices change all the time, mention the $15.00 price and they will give it to you for that.
    man! that's $20 shipped. i have one sitting in the cart until tomorrow. if it's still a good idea then i'm getting it

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, they have some good prices. The Crazy Creek Crazy Crib Lex Hammock with Tarp was only $130. That's $40 cheaper than the factory price.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CRCC...3don%26Hit%3d1

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

FYI - price jump

So last night I bought that REI Outlet sale item, the Grand Trunk double, for $35 and today their price has jumped way up: Grand Trunk Hammock - Double

**** good timing for me it turns out. I've also got some webbing on the way at Flanger's suggestion. Can't wait!

Now I have to figure out if I can rig this up to hang in my garage. I'm in a townhome so I have no yard to speak of, but do have a good size garage with an unfinished ceiling so I have direct access to all the 2x4s that make up the frame.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12