GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

Trying to decide on my first hammock for backpacking

Hi gang! I'm new here, been lurking for a little while, first post and all that. Warning - wall of text approaching. You have been warned...

I'm very intrigued by the idea of hammock camping so I've done a mountain of research over the last week or so and feel like I almost know some of the basic concepts now. Let me provide some info on me and what I want to accomplish and see what you all suggest.

I'm about 5'8" and around 200lbs (ouch when did that happen!?)
    The majority of my camping is done in the Colorado Rockies. 3 season camping primarily, but even so it can obviously get down below freezing in the spring or fall when you're at 10,000ft. I'm stuck at the moment with a rather large synthetic sleeping bag right now (not currently ready to plunk down for a good down bag) so while the bag is plenty warm, it just doesn't compress nearly as much as I'd like. I have a few different pads and that would initially be my main form of under insulation in a hammock.

I figure I'll want bug netting sooner or later, particularly right now as mid-summer around lakes in the mountains means bugs.

I know I'll need a tarp sooner or later. I have things I could make do with, though they really aren't well suited to covering the length of a hammock setup.

Skip to the end - ultimately I want a Warbonnet BlackBird I just don't want to start there without ever having camped in a hammock. I want to start cheap and make sure this is a direction I want to go before moving up the price ladder.

Ok with all that in mind I started down the DIY path, but quickly came to the conclusion that to do it right I'd be spending as much as the low-end fully ready pre-built hammocks and I'd still be lacking some features. I like the idea of building my own, but eh... not right now for my first setup. That leaves a few options:

Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter - UL for $60 or Pro for $80
    Warbonnet Traveler - $ depends on which version
    ENO SingleNest for ~$43 or DoubleNest for ~$52

My gut says I'd be most comfortable with either a Warbonnet or ENO hammock, but I really like that the Skeeter Beeters have the attached bug net. I would probably go for the Pro version so I could get more flat and so my wife could join me sometimes.

At that price point it seems like the Skeeter Beeter Pro makes the most sense for my needs - am I missing anything? I know it comes with some sort of mediocre suspension, but I can't find much info on what it actually comes with - does anyone know the specifics and will it be sufficient to use a couple times before I buy better suspension?

If you've managed to read this far without falling asleep I salute you

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've parted with my Skeeter Beeter, but have everything else on your list. Come over to the Iliff & Yosemite area one evening or weekend and you can try just about any hammock you want.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! I have a Grand trunk UL (I'm 5'9" 155pds) and it has been a great hammock to start out in - need a hammock sock though - most likely. Lots of people here have the Enos and love them (seems that the DBL is the popular choice) but I do have the Traveller (as well as a BB) and I really do like it.

Papa Smurf (a member here) has a great Grand Trunk UL option available - you may want to look into that as a fpossible first choice (money wise).
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Grand Trunk double is on sale at REI.com outlet for only $35. Tough to beat that for jumping in to test the waters. Nice keeper once you upgrade to boot.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Flangler View Post
    Grand Trunk double is on sale at REI.com outlet for only $35. Tough to beat that for jumping in to test the waters. Nice keeper once you upgrade to boot.
    ooOOooooh that looks tempting. I had checked REI outlet early on in my research and skipped over that hammock for whatever reason, but knowing what I know now that looks like a great starter deal. That might changes things a bit for me

I see that doesn't come with any suspension - what would be a good option? I've seen a lot of different suspension setups recently and don't really know where I should start. Also, what are good suspension lengths? I've been thinking at least 10' per side not counting the distance around the tree.

Thanks!

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've parted with my Skeeter Beeter, but have everything else on your list. Come over to the Iliff & Yosemite area one evening or weekend and you can try just about any hammock you want.
    LOL what is it with hammock people here? I don't think anyone here has *a* hammock - everyone has a ton of different ones If you have that WBBB I might have to take you up on the offer sometime!

EDIT: I'm over in Lakewood around the Belmar area.

I got into hammocking not too long ago and decided to test the waters with a couple of Grand Trunk Ultra lights which have turned out to be an exceptional value at $15.00. I got mine from Sunny Sports, their prices change all the time, mention the $15.00 price and they will give it to you for that.

The ultra lights have proven to fit my needs rather well at 190 lbs, 5'10".

I wanted to try a double just for the heck of it so I just ordered a Grand Trunk Parachute Nylon Travel Hammock - Double from REI for $34.93. Limited to just one color choice though navy / silver.

hammocking is addictive, I feel like a swinging monkey that just can't wait to get to the park daily and hang for an hour or two.
    Last edited by LeDude; 07-07-2011 at 16:20.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    If you have that WBBB I might have to take you up on the offer sometime!

You haven't been doing a very good job of lurking if you're using the phrase "If you have that WBBB..." on me. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of them laying around.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    ooOOooooh that looks tempting. I had checked REI outlet early on in my research and skipped over that hammock for whatever reason, but knowing what I know now that looks like a great starter deal. That might changes things a bit for me

I see that doesn't come with any suspension - what would be a good option? I've seen a lot of different suspension setups recently and don't really know where I should start. Also, what are good suspension lengths? I've been thinking at least 10' per side not counting the distance around the tree.

Thanks!
    Whoopie slings! PM me if you're interested and I can send you some I've got lying around in my gear hoarding pile. Get yourself some tree straps and toggles and hang away!

Images
    The Grand Trunk Ultralight is a great hammock. I'm 6'2" - 250 and have never had a problem. It's cheap and comfortable. You'll ultimately need a bug net (mine is a old thing I picked up at WalMart). I also have a Skeeter Beater Pro that I am thinking hard about selling (unless my son wants to keep it) because it's just too "stretchy" for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast