Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I think you would be better served getting a bag without a sewn footbox as a starter for an underquilt. These make good top quilts, but at 40 inches wide, it would be pretty narrow for an underquilt as well.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    I'm 6'1" and 240 ... think it's wide enough?

I had it in the checkout and was just about to pull the trigger then had second thoughts. They still had 63 left so I've got a bit of time to make final decisions.

I tried my JRB UQ as a top last night as it's about the same width. Coverd OK and didn't feel any cool air but the basement isn't 30 degrees.
    this looks like a pretty sweet deal, but i have the same concerns. I am 6' 230 with broad shoulders. Will this work for me?? I have 3 WM bags that I unzip and use as quilts, just do not know if 40" is going to be enough width.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    this looks like a pretty sweet deal, but i have the same concerns. I am 6' 230 with broad shoulders. Will this work for me?? I have 3 WM bags that I unzip and use as quilts, just do not know if 40" is going to be enough width.
    My 2 cents -

I am 6'2'' 260.

I was really intrigued with this thread originally.

I have a WB Mamba TQ (long version before he started adding width as well as length to the "longs"). It is 48 inches wide. It is perfect width wise for me - anything more narrow than 48 inches would be too narrow IMHO.

For my money, considering this thing is only 40 inches wide - I'd pass on it as either as a TQ or a UQ. All my UQs are Hammockgear - 45 inches wide and are perfect for me as well. Anything more narrow than 45 inches for a UQ would be too narrow I feel.

YMMV.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    My 2 cents -

I am 6'2'' 260.

I was really intrigued with this thread originally.

I have a WB Mamba TQ (long version before he started adding width as well as length to the "longs"). It is 48 inches wide. It is perfect width wise for me - anything more narrow than 48 inches would be too narrow IMHO.

For my money, considering this thing is only 40 inches wide - I'd pass on it as either as a TQ or a UQ. All my UQs are Hammockgear - 45 inches wide and are perfect for me as well. Anything more narrow than 45 inches for a UQ would be too narrow I feel.

YMMV.
    That's what I needed to hear. I just bought a HG Incubator on here so I should be in good shape with my WM bags until I decide.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    Well I finally did it, I've been on the road the last 4 weeks but I finally cut the back, and hemmed the sides, plus stitched the last 2 inches or so together. I will not be posting pics as I used the sewing machine for the first time (first DIY project) and I'm 110% certain that its the worst sewing job ever seen (but it works!). I used a soldering iron to cut it, worked well but I should have pinned it down / used a straight edge to keep the cut straight.
    I'm 5'10 and 150 and I'm very happy with the fit. The length is plenty, the width is fine everywhere except for the last part below the knees before it goes to the full footbox (down completely surrounds the footbox, and I'll say they pack a lot of down in there, which is nice). I wish the down went a little further around the legs when it gets below the knees before the footbox, but this is a small section. I think if I threw in some montbell UL pants or a jacket over my legs, I'd be fine, we'll see. The first trip out will be a 2 nighter' this weekend at frozen head.

Good morning, I'm a newcomer who's been collecting a lot of information on this site over the past month or so. I'm very grateful (& often very confused! I've heard such articulate & convincing arguments on every side of most every issue.) I'm nowhere near deciding on a hammock - I've got to do that.

But there seems to be general agreement that this is a good deal & could be easily turned into a fine TQ. So I just ordered one with idea of modifying it as you've described & adding additional down to each channel. From what I've read working with down can be messy. So here's my question: I have a comforter I was going to canabalize (don't know the type of down but it's a nice Eddie Bauer one - bigger than I need). Well I was just washing it in the tub & thought why couldn't I fill the top bag with wet down? I've learned I have to be careful about not overfilling but thought maybe I could grab a snowball sized glob & let it dry out, weigh it & determine how many globs to add.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have . Rita
    Last edited by rtramseyer; 08-31-2011 at 08:19. Reason: typo

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Here

Quote Originally Posted by rtramseyer View Post
    So here's my question: I have a comforter I was going to canabalize (don't know the type of down but it's a nice Eddie Bauer one - bigger than I need). Well I was just washing it in the tub & thought why couldn't I fill the top bag with wet down? I've learned I have to be careful about not overfilling but thought maybe I could grab a snowball sized glob & let it dry out, weigh it & determine how many globs to add.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have . Rita
    I couldn't find the exact thread but the consensus seems to be that using an eductor is the easiest and least messy way to do it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

thanks, Aaron. Your link didn't work for me. Maybe I'm too new. I'll hunt around for that eductor thread but I swear if it involves math or calibers I'm going to go with the wet downballs. Thanks again.
    Last edited by rtramseyer; 08-31-2011 at 10:19. Reason: typo

Is 40 inches wide enough

I'm wanting to get my first top quilt and this seems like a good deal.
    I'm 205, 38 inch waist. shirt is between large & xl. Would 40 inch's be enough coverage for me?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Brill View Post
    I'm wanting to get my first top quilt and this seems like a good deal.
    I'm 205, 38 inch waist. shirt is between large & xl. Would 40 inch's be enough coverage for me?
    I'm maybe 10 pounds lighter than you waist 36-38, XL shirt and all my quilts are 40 inches wide. Perfect for hammocks. (Narrow for ground sleeping).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast