WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'm thinking of just using primaloft, maybe the the loose fill type and a single layer of IX on those flaps. Since that portion is gonna be the "tuck" anyway I figure I'll use something that will be warm even when squashed under me.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I'm thinking of just using primaloft, maybe the the loose fill type and a single layer of IX on those flaps. Since that portion is gonna be the "tuck" anyway I figure I'll use something that will be warm even when squashed under me.
    Primaloft would be fine. I wasn't so concerned with insulating the stuff squashed under me as I was with actually insulating the sides of my knees.

The shiny portion would have been uninsulated there on the side of my legs had I not made the draft tubes. The further left on the photo, all that stuff is smushed under me, whether it's primaloft, down, ix doesn't necessarily matter. I'm not so concerned with insulating my backside as actually doing the job that a TQ is supposed to - insulate the top and sides.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba camo
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Why?

Okay, mine arrived and I've been admiring it and finally got the scissors out to do the cutting and my wife and daughter blew a gasket. They don't understand!

They asked "why not just leave it 'as is' in the hammock"? I explained that it would be a bit of a pain to get into it in the hammock and they were certain that it wouldn't. Finally, I figured I'd just put the hammock up in the back yard and show them! Boy, they know nothing about hammocks!

I set it up and we all went out. Then we all took turns getting in the hammock and in the bag. It was very east to get into and out of. I hate it when they're right.

So, I've been contemplating the need to convert it to a blanket. Leaving it intact would prevent the accidental draft problems that this forum has been dedicated to avoiding. Of course, the conversion would allow a greater range of motion (the figure 4 sleep position). But, that particular position seems to be one that would give the greatest chance of an unintended venting of precious warm (or dreaded cold) air.

I was looking forward to the conversion, but don't want to err. To some extent the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Southern wisdom seems to apply. Other than intentional ventilation in warmer weather, why make the mod?
    Last edited by FiveOh; 10-12-2011 at 10:23. Reason: corrected typo...

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I gave in and ordered one. They listed only 5 left on the website and I just couldn't resist!

And to FiveOh, I think it's purely a convenience issue that drives people to mod. That and possibly a very minor weight savings?
    I've been using a sleeping bag in my hammock for three years now, and it's not really that big of a deal to get in and out of, but I can see people wanting the extra ease of use that comes with having a top quilt.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link

I caved in as well

My wife is not likely to be happy with me, but I just couldn't pass it up. I figured there was no way I could make my own TQ for that price with that quality. Now I have another option for warmth since I did just buy a Montbell UL Spiral bag earlier this Summer on sale. Well I guess it's just money. I can't wait to get it and try it out.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Without making a big deal of it, Western Mountaineering uses Pertex fabrics in their US and Canada-made Extremelite series of sleeping bags and some garments. They acknowledge a trade-off of durability for light weight. Which is no loss at all for an article which won't touch ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images

On second thought

I opened mine lastnight. The quality, craftsmanship, attention to detail is top notch. I can see why it's been a dicey thing to cut the back open. I'm even having second thoughts myself. Mostly because it really wasn't that hard to get and out of, much easier than I expected. I think this would be a great adition to my JRB Sierra Sniviller for deep winter camping, at least in my area. In theory with this inside a JRB I should be able to to 0-5Fdeg, and I'm a pretty warm sleeper so it should workout.

I may still make the changes to it as previously planned. However, I think I'll test as mentioned above first. I'm just so impressed with the quality that I feel I should give it a shot as intended before buchering it. I really didn't expect to get a product like this for $104, what a steal; and they are all out of stock now.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY insulated
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I used mine last night again.

Temps were from 37F to 34F. Very light wind.

I was quite comfortable with just thin thermals and a stocking cap.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    OK I've read this thread several times, but it is 14 pages long so I may have missed it. What are the dimensions? I see its 40" wide. How Long? Also what would the bottom dimmension be if the footbox was opened and laid flat?

Thanks

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3/4
    Suspension
    Treehugger Straps
    I had this quilt in the cart ready to purchase but buy the time I hit the checkout button they were sold out! Does anybody know of any place that still has these in stock?
    "That he is mad, 'tis true, 'tis Pithy, and Pithy 'tis, 'tis true..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast