Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Member from NC- A DIY Guy!

Hey all!

I'm an avid backpacker and current student at Wake Forest University. I'm in the process of applying to Officer Candidate School for the US Army so who knows how much I'll be using a hammock soon, but I'm fairly new to the hammock world but am definitely here to learn!

I have a ENO Double hammock for lounging with my girlfriend, but I'm tired of hauling a tent around backpacking so I'm in the process of building my own hammock. I really want a hammock in MultiCam camouflage pattern and the only way I can get a MultiCam hammock is to build one myself.

Thanks to the great knowledge on this forum and in Ed Speer's book, I decided to make my own Whoopie Slings and I put in my order at Redden Marine Supply just a few minutes ago.

I already have the sources for my hammock fabric (in MultiCam, of course), no-see-um netting, webbing (again, in MultiCam) and velcro. However the rain fly may be an issue. The only MultiCam material that's lightweight and waterproof is also fire retardant, so it's going to be pretty expensive, unless I can find something a little cheaper.

Also, I have a couple questions about my build list. First, what carabiner would be sufficient for my hammock? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but also don't want to fall and break either of those! Also, would you trust this no-see-um netting to keep the pesky buggers out? If you have any other recommendations, especially in coyote tan-like colors, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the great knowledge here and I look forward to being an active member here!
    Last edited by t42beal13t; 07-09-2011 at 14:30.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Welcome aboard. Lots of diy guys here. Actually sewing an under quilt right now.
    That no see um looks pretty good. Don't really see N issue with it, but maybe someone who has used will pop in.
    I use the CAMP Nano 23 carabiners. One of the lightest on the market and have had no problems.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    I use the CAMP Nano 23 carabiners. One of the lightest on the market and have had no problems.
    I forgot to mention this in my OP, but here are the carabiners I'm considering: http://www.backcountry.com/mad-rock-...lock-carabiner

I like sale prices, and they seem to be of OK quality, right?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Mad rock makes good gear. Those will work just fine.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard army from an old sailor. Looks like you already been doing alot of study. Check out Just Jeff's Camping Pages, Shug's videos, Headchange4u sls system if you haven't already. There are many others I haven't mentioned but these were my first. Most of all, enjoy.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Those carabiners look very good for the price. You can also get non-climbing carabiners that are still strong enough for a hammock and are somewhat lighter.
    If you want a DIY lightweight alternative using a some of your amsteel, search HF for info on "Nacrabiners" or loop shackles.

It looks like the netting is only available in 20 yd. lengths now. That's a lot, if you don't need it.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Welcome aboard army from an old sailor. Looks like you already been doing alot of study. Check out Just Jeff's Camping Pages, Shug's videos, Headchange4u sls system if you haven't already. There are many others I haven't mentioned but these were my first. Most of all, enjoy.
    I definitely have been studying these a lot. I found my dad's autographed copy of Hammock Camping last summer and did a lot of research then, but the money I was saving for it ended up going elsewhere. Hopefully this time I can keep my budget in line. I'll definitely check out those pages, I'm sure they're chocked full of information.

Finally, thanks for your service, olddog!

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Those carabiners look very good for the price. You can also get non-climbing carabiners that are still strong enough for a hammock and are somewhat lighter.
    If you want a DIY lightweight alternative using a some of your amsteel, search HF for info on "Nacrabiners" or loop shackles.

It looks like the netting is only available in 20 yd. lengths now. That's a lot, if you don't need it.
    I'm one of those people who tries to have dual purposes for everything. I figure if I sack up and pay for climbing biners then if I ever need them, I'll have them.

I just looked at those "Nacrabiners" and they look really interesting. With the 72 feet I ordered I'll have to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.
    You're right down the road! I'm in Winston right now.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast