Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I have been the recipient of random acts of kindness in the past. I am paying it forward with interest. As was mentioned earlier some people have gear closets. I have a gear room. I am constantly trying to reduce what I have. Some things I try to sell (rare), most everything else I give away to people who are looking for certain items. Right after hurricane katrina,someone on the NO Saints board was lamenting his loss of his saints gear collection. I had an extra Deuce McCallister jersey so I sent it to him. Just yesterday I sent out a brand new pair of gaiters to someone (on a different forum) who was looking to buy some. People offer to pay, I tell them to PIF.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Handschin View Post
    I find it odd that the PIF is hidden to all users unless you have a minimum post count. Before you flame me know that I am contributing member. That fact alone should give me access to the PIF thread. So I am to understand that someone who posts frequently is more trustworthy than someone who donates to the site?

I am disheartened to say the least.

Handschin
    My take is the rule is an attempt to keep us as honest as possible and aimed mostly at folk with stuff for sale. It is 15 posts (I think) and a chance for us to get to know you a bit before buying etc. There have been a few problems with the PIF recently so caution is the rule. My rambling point here is a few more posts and you are home free...jump on in the water's fine!

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

I'd like to see a Sticky for maybe, scoutmasters and similar, who would like to borrow kits for a weekend or week for, say 5-10 youngsters (or oldster).

For $20 round-trip shipping, whoever pays, some redundant gear (4lb packs of hammock + tarp + suspension + lines could expand pleasure..... and do more good for more people......and mfgs valued here...... than swapping of horde-parts among folks with gear closets.
    I think that's a really good idea! I don't have a lot of gear any more, but I'd be happy to lend or even make some stuff, especially for Scout groups or other good cause (however that would be defined). My neighborhood does this with tools, log splitter, trailers, etc with a few simple "honor" rules, so we don't each need to own every tool just for occasional use. I'd like to see something like this at HF with hiking & hammocking gear. Get the young'uns out there even when money is tight. Maybe a little less gear hoarding. Could be a good way to try before buying, too.

Getting back to the OP's post: I think requiring some minimum number of posts to participate in PIF is justifiable. Someone before me said that posts afford everyone a chance to get to know the newbies a little first (I'm still a newbie here, too, and I can't access PIF yet either. That's OK by me.) I don't think the rule has to do with trust per se, but I can see how some folks might join & pay $10 just to access the goodies but not contribute to the spirit of the Forum. I'm NOT suggesting that the OP did that, only that it could happen without the minimum posting rule.

I think Gargoyle is right on the mark here. It takes members' POSTS, not just lurkers and cash contributors, to keep HF interesting and informative. To me, a good forum's primary value is sharing ideas and experience across a spectrum of members who want to contribute to the group, who ask for help when needed, and who give help when they can. Having Buy,Sell,PIF areas is sweet, but in my opinion that's just icing on the HF cake!

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Here is the deal: People were claiming really expensive pif's and putting up junk or nothing at all. Also many people never received their claimed items. Personally I appreciate the changes.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies, ASR
    Yeah I noticed the other day that I had no access as well. I guess I need to run my post count up when I have time.

To access this forum your post count must be 50 or greater.

You currently have 28 posts.

Wish it was based on more than qty alone. Maybe date joined, supporting member etc. Post count means nothing. To hear that being a paying member still doesn't grant full access has made me decide that I will be delaying my contribution. I think I can live without the cool avatar.
    Last edited by Matt65; 07-09-2011 at 17:41.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There was a separate PIF for scouts at one point. You would have to discuss with the mods why it was consolidated.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Wish it was based on more than qty alone. Maybe date joined, supporting member etc. Post count means nothing.

Hearing that being a paying member still doesn't grant full acess has made me decide that I will be delaying my contribution. I can live without the avatar.

People pay attention on this forum. If you post a bunch of "10 random character" sentences, people will notice. There were proposals and even a separate PIF regarding donating members only, but it was decided that being a supporting member should be because you want to, not because you have to. Also a scammer could make a bunch of random accounts, then sit and wait and... well... you get it.

That all being said, I'm sorry to hear you don't want to support the forum. The admins work hard to make this thing run so smoothly. That's one thing I REALLY like about this forum, the people. They generally respond in a way that's always kind and helpful (unlike some other forums I know of). For some the reason to donate is because they just want to give, others because they get valuable information and help and wish to return the kindness so that others may enjoy the same. For me... it's all that... but also special access to the donating members area good stuff! It's not just about the avatar.

I hope no one here is discouraged from speaking freely, but just remember that we should all have respect for one another. I value other people's opinions, and that's one reason I scrounge through this forum everyday!

If you were taken advantage of in the past through the old PIF (like me), you can understand a little more clearly why the rules are there. That doesn't discourage me from doing another PIF, just waiting for something I could use in my gear closet!

2 cents

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    Here is the deal: People were claiming really expensive pif's and putting up junk or nothing at all. Also many people never received their claimed items. Personally I appreciate the changes.
    So, if the idea is to actually "Pay it Forward" then it doesn't really matter if someone claims something expensive and then puts up something cheaper, because you have done your part. There isn't supposed to be an increasing appraisal for each item put up. You do your part and hope for the blessing to be passed on. If that's a problem for someone, then they shouldn't participate. Goodwill has no strings attached, otherwise it's a bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    So, if the idea is to actually "Pay it Forward" then it doesn't really matter if someone claims something expensive and then puts up something cheaper, because you have done your part. There isn't supposed to be an increasing appraisal for each item put up. You do your part and hope for the blessing to be passed on. If that's a problem for someone, then they shouldn't participate. Goodwill has no strings attached, otherwise it's a bribe.
    +1 I agree with this sentiment. Just my take, but if you have goods you don't want and would like to donate, put out a thread and call it a day. If you expect that everyone is going to be as generous, you are bound to be disappointed at some point. If someone voices a need and you want to send an item to that person and say "your welcome, PIF when you can", great. But the operative part should be "when you can" with no obligation made.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    You can also just start posting some comments to the other great people right here in this thread that you started. That will bring your posting count up. I think you only need 15. Lots of wonderful people reaching out to you...just reach back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast