Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree Friendly

Pay it forward, hidden :mad:

I find it odd that the PIF is hidden to all users unless you have a minimum post count. Before you flame me know that I am contributing member. That fact alone should give me access to the PIF thread. So I am to understand that someone who posts frequently is more trustworthy than someone who donates to the site?

I am disheartened to say the least.

Handschin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Is there something in particular you are looking for? I may have something in the gear closet to help you out. I honestly don't know why (didn't even know there was a minimum requirement), but perhaps they want you to be more involved? That would be my only guess. People here value other's opinions not just because of experience, but maybe from a point of view they haven't considered. Chime in every once and a while if there's something you think we should know! I, personally, value any criticism or opinions as long as it's constructive!

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Handschin View Post
    So I am to understand that someone who posts frequently is more trustworthy than someone who donates to the site?
    Handschin
    I'm not a mod so I don't know thinking that went into the decision. However... some of the PIF goods I have seen are worth much more than $10. So, with all due respect to you, I can see someone paying the $10 hoping to score on a bargain with no intent of following the rules. As I said... I'm not a mod so I could be way off. But that's the kind of thinking that would go in my head. Maybe I'm just too cynical.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Handschin View Post
    I find it odd that the PIF is hidden to all users unless you have a minimum post count. Before you flame me know that I am contributing member. That fact alone should give me access to the PIF thread. So I am to understand that someone who posts frequently is more trustworthy than someone who donates to the site?

I am disheartened to say the least.

Handschin
    Why are you mad or disheartened? There is no slight towards you personally. The rules exist to help discourage people from becoming members just for the purpose of selling. Minimum 15 posts. It seems a small price to pay and encourages active participation in the forum. Perhaps review the For Sale rules. See also the PIF rules. Not to seem rude, but it might be better to ask a question of "why" rather than posting to complain. Again, there is no slight towards you personally, just rules we all live by when we are here that help make HF a better place.

Meanwhile, welcome to the forum. Hope you will find the information you desire, contribute to the forum, and find the gear you want.
    Last edited by BER; 07-09-2011 at 09:52.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Heres a thought, come on offering a pif to all and see how its recieved, or call it a good faith offering or closet cleaning?
    Not dissing you or the rules. The mods have a complicated job of balancing all that is the forum.

Part of what makes this a great community is the interaction. If we all lurked, we'd be looking at a blank screen.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    An analysis of the record will support that PIF is heavily, if not exclusively, a gear swap. So, OP's concern is understandable. Them that hasn't got and doesn't game the rules doesn't have the stash of "gear closet" stuff, mostly unused and correctly labeled as surplus to offer.

(I'm even watching, with amusement / bemusement, at one particular horde being built / rebuilt and reported elsewhere in HF.)

So, yeah, there's the irony, of weight weenies and SL campers with tons of Goldilocks & 3 bears gear for "just right" use....oh, once every two years....... finally surrendered when something kewler is out.

I'd like to see a Sticky for scoutmasters and similar who would like to borrow kits for a weekend or week for, say 5-10 youngsters (or oldster).

For $20 round-trip shipping, whoever pays, some redundant gear (4lb packs of hammock + tarp + suspension + lines could expand pleasure..... and do more good for more people......and mfgs valued here...... than swapping of horde-parts among folks with gear closets.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-09-2011 at 18:47.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

I'd like to see a Sticky for maybe, scoutmasters and similar, who would like to borrow kits for a weekend or week for, say 5-10 youngsters (or oldster).

For $20 round-trip shipping, whoever pays, some redundant gear (4lb packs of hammock + tarp + suspension + lines could expand pleasure..... and do more good for more people......and mfgs valued here...... than swapping of horde-parts among folks with gear closets.
    I think that's a really good idea! I don't have a lot of gear any more, but I'd be happy to lend or even make some stuff, especially for Scout groups or other good cause (however that would be defined). My neighborhood does this with tools, log splitter, trailers, etc with a few simple "honor" rules, so we don't each need to own every tool just for occasional use. I'd like to see something like this at HF with hiking & hammocking gear. Get the young'uns out there even when money is tight. Maybe a little less gear hoarding. Could be a good way to try before buying, too.

Getting back to the OP's post: I think requiring some minimum number of posts to participate in PIF is justifiable. Someone before me said that posts afford everyone a chance to get to know the newbies a little first (I'm still a newbie here, too, and I can't access PIF yet either. That's OK by me.) I don't think the rule has to do with trust per se, but I can see how some folks might join & pay $10 just to access the goodies but not contribute to the spirit of the Forum. I'm NOT suggesting that the OP did that, only that it could happen without the minimum posting rule.

I think Gargoyle is right on the mark here. It takes members' POSTS, not just lurkers and cash contributors, to keep HF interesting and informative. To me, a good forum's primary value is sharing ideas and experience across a spectrum of members who want to contribute to the group, who ask for help when needed, and who give help when they can. Having Buy,Sell,PIF areas is sweet, but in my opinion that's just icing on the HF cake!

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Here is the deal: People were claiming really expensive pif's and putting up junk or nothing at all. Also many people never received their claimed items. Personally I appreciate the changes.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    Here is the deal: People were claiming really expensive pif's and putting up junk or nothing at all. Also many people never received their claimed items. Personally I appreciate the changes.
    So, if the idea is to actually "Pay it Forward" then it doesn't really matter if someone claims something expensive and then puts up something cheaper, because you have done your part. There isn't supposed to be an increasing appraisal for each item put up. You do your part and hope for the blessing to be passed on. If that's a problem for someone, then they shouldn't participate. Goodwill has no strings attached, otherwise it's a bribe.

Images
    I have received a boonie hat from PIF and I have a dinky little alcohol burner on there now. My wife and I are just starting out (we haven't even taken our first trip yet). I live on a fixed income and gear is so expensive. I don't have a closet of surplus stuff-heck I don't even have enough stuff to properly outfit, but I am working on it. I hope to be a contributing member as soon as my next check comes in. With that said, I can see both sides. The post count isn't that big a deal but a contributing member should have more access than someone like me. The mods have to walk a balancing rope and there must be rules to follow. I for one, am appreciative of the job they do and the time they devote. I was welcomed here and all of my dumb questions have been answered. I thank each and every one of you for your kindness and support.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast