Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I ran a similar setup for a while, using two identical hammocks, and sandwiching my uninflated Exped 7 between the two.

I have since built a simple light under quilt out of mesh with a lightweight emergency blanket in it which now serves as both a wind breaker in windy situations and as the holding base for my sleeping pad in colder weathers.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    At last MAHHA I was using all budget gear - GTSBP with GTUL as undercover. In between them was a wool blanket and a CF pad, and a coleman sleeping bag rigged up pod-style. I think I took a fleece into the pod but didn't end up needing it. It wasn't too cold the night I stayed, but boy was I toasty warm.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by LeDude View Post
    I ran a similar setup for a while, using two identical hammocks, and sandwiching my uninflated Exped 7 between the two.
    Why not inflate the Exped 7? I'm struggling with the physics of an air mattress on the ground compared to one hanging in the air. I grasp the concepts of convection currents inside an air mattress, the temperature limitations, and the advantages using fill inside.

Using a double-layer system with a taut hammock and a loose under cover leaves a lot of flexibility for insulation.

I wonder how a cheap air mattress wrapped in a space blanket would work? I was thinking about something like a Thermarest Neoair, but you don't need to be able to lay on it, so you can toss all the high-quality fabric and strong bonds.

Ultimately, we're looking for dead air space with an interface that won't transfer body heat. You can throw out a lot of ground concepts as external hammock insulation only needs to support its own weight-- no worries about compressing the insulation or holding up your weight. Of course, it needs to compress for travel.

If an uninsulated air mattress with a space blanket will work, then you could use something as light as balloons! It would be very easy to turn a 2-person HeatSheet into an envelope. You could sandwich polyfill insulation in space blankets too. Or have a mylar air mattress with polyester fill. The technology to mass produce them would be similar to making mylar balloons. Imagine 4" or 5" of waterproof loft that weighs a few ounces and takes up the space of a shipping envelope

Heheh-- if you could fill a mylar air mattress with helium on the trail, it would float up against you. Then again, you might have it float away while pitching your rig

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Check my thread at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36337. I cooked up a way to make an UQ with space blanket or bivy and polyester batting.

I like your idea...I tried to hang out saturday eve. It was 94 f during the day but at 01:00 the temp had cooled to <40f I was plenty chilled. I was using a quilted bed spread for a over cover but as a noob, had nothing under me. SOO...
    I ordered a ENO hammock to make an undercover out of.. I have a HH safari deluxe because I am a fat guy and needed a hammock that could support 330lb. ( and of courese they dont make a fourseason addaptor for their large hammock at Hennessy) My plan is to split the double nest from ENO and edge the opening with tape so I can install it under the Safari and still get into it through the bottom entry. I figured to use an light weight sleeping bag between the two as insulation! Anyone with experience at this sort of thing please feel free to offer your advice!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Ray Garlington came up with the Garlington Insulator years ago, so I re-invented the wheel.

He used light cloth for an outer cover and used a couple light garbage bags with folded space blankets inside. Works great! I made bags from space blankets and double-stick tape. That gives better coverage than the garbage bags. See http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc.../Insulator.htm

If your hammocks match closely, a sleeping pad might work too. If you use the Garlington method, the lower one will need to hang loosely.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123