WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hrairoorah View Post
    I definitely will pack the Optimus crux. I have 2 fuel canisters for it and plan on it being my main stove. The wood burner is a backup/test stove.
    Oh ok that's good. Well then I'm sure that everything will work out good for you. Since this is your first backpacking adventure try to not over do it with the distance and pack weight. It's so easy to add a little of this and a little of that and the next thing you know you're hauling 40 or more pounds

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrairoorah View Post
    I am disabled due to failed back surgery since 2004. I am just now able to walk for any length of time. I need to exercise to lose weight and help my diabetes. Since I am disabled........
    In your opinion, what do I need to get next?........
    Not really something you need to get, but something you need to be ultra-cautious about. Above all else, you must not fall and if that does happen you must not fall on roots/rocks.

I don't want to be Billy Downer. This would be a really rare concern, seldom reported out of the 10,000 hangers at this forum. But it has been reported. Hammocks tear or get a rip or just get worn out. A suspension rated many times heavier than needed breaks for unknown reasons, or becomes abraded or cut over time. A cinch buckle or ring fails to hold. This happened to me one time due to my sloppy hook up, though it was a slow ride down with no injury at all.

Once when a new user of my beloved Speer PeaPod on a Speer hammock on a very cold night, I took a fall. After getting up to pee, and half asleep, when returning to the hammock in the dark I mistook the back edge of the PeaPod for the back edge of the hammock, and grabbed the wrong one and sat down. I went right over flat on my back. Though- thank goodness- I was not hanging very high- maybe not much more than 2 feet- and only smooth, flat grassy ground was under me, it hurt. And I had a sore spot on my ribs for quite a few weeks. Fortunately, there were no witnesses! BTW, this has never happened again, lesson learned!

So, carefully check all gear for damage and correct adjustment every time. Don't hang any higher than you are willing to fall. If at all possible, don't hang over rocks/roots and/or put any padding- if available- under you. This is a VERY rare problem, but with your back, you don't want to fall even 6" on even flat grassy ground, I'm guessing!

Re: insulation: do you already have a roomy sleeping bag you are planning on using? If so, depending on the bag/the zippers and the hammock, you may be able to rig up a Faux PeaPod approach like Shug and others have done. At least when it is finally really cold.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Insulation idea:

Hit the thrift stores. Go on the $5/bagfull days. Go early and grab every down comforter, coat and vest in the place. (read the labels carefully - down only, no synthetics) No matter what size, color, etc. Even if it's stained and gross - you don't care because you want what's inside. You want the down. Down compresses nicely so I bet you could get a lot of coats in that one $5 bag. Patch work the coats together into a TQ/UQ and cover with a poncho or some ripstop.
    I wonder how tyvek would work for a cover - after it's been washed a few times to soften it up. hmmm...
    I bet you could get the super heavy insulation that the WV mountains demand without breaking the bank.
    Good luck!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123