Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images

New Campground on Tallapoosa River Montgomery AL

I was reading the other day of someone moving down to LA (Lower Alabama) and they wanted to know of a nice place to hang. I just visited a new place located on a very nice river here in Montgomery. They have just opened and some of the information on the site has to be updated but the owners are looking to get that done in a couple of days. Very nice folks with big plans.
    Check it out. I think I will plan a hang with the kids in a couple of weekends.

http://www.jenkinscreekadventures.com

Pretty nice for this area. No water or electricity.
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Looks nice, if you plan a hang be sure and post the dates. I'm away at work for several
    weeks but I'm sure others would be interested.
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I hung there on July 4th weekend, nice place and super nice people. Had the entire place to myself. The have several ponds for fishing and the Tallapossa is a real nice river.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    Yeah they are really great folks. I think once the word gets out they will have bunches of peeps. I am thinking of a hang either next weekend or the next. I have promised to get my 2 daughters out. We will see if they keep up the interest.

I will post again closer to the weekend to say for sure. Got a lot of work between now and then. Plus I am waiting on the WBBB and Superfly. If the wife dont kill me it will probably be the first hang for it.
    ________

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I might be interested, my son wants me to take him also, so might be a good outing.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

I live here in Alabaster, going to do the red trail at Oak Mtn this weekend, but looking to fill the next weekend with an outing, may have to go down there and check out that park.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by calcmuzzy View Post
    I live here in Alabaster, going to do the red trail at Oak Mtn this weekend, but looking to fill the next weekend with an outing, may have to go down there and check out that park.
    Let me know how Oak Mountain us for hanging, I have been considering a trip up there. I normally like to avoid the hot summer camping in the south, but had to take a look at Jenkins Creek to see what it was like

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Looks like a great place and will need to add it to my todo list. I look forward to reading trip reports.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    As it looks this morning it will be not this weekend coming but the next before I get out there to Jenkins Creek for a hang. Like the idea of Oak Mtn. For sure give some detail.

If any of you decide your going this weekend please post and I might just slip out the door anyway. Its so close to me that its not out of the question for a last minute decision.
    ________

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Small trip report

I went out on the July 4th weekend, just an overnight trip. There was a nice breeze coming off the river, and I had the whole place to myself. They are still doing some cleanup around the campsites, just under brush and stuff. The sites are still a little mushy, not packed well, so you have to watch where you drive, it's kind of sandy in some places. There is no power or water available, I just brought a 7 gal jug with me and was fine. It was pretty warm, but a stayed in the shade and enjoyed a good book.

They have sites along the water, but none with trees, so I stayed back in the second row of sites, but the water is still less than 70 yards away.

Port-o-lets are the bathrooms of choice, but they were very clean...since they have only been open a short while.

I spent time talking to the owner, they have big plans down the road, maybe running some water down there at a later date. They have 3 ponds for fishing and canoes available as well.

Over all, a nice place to slip away for the weekend...only 12 minutes from my house. The price is a little hign for primitive camping, if all you do is camp...but if you take advantage of the fishing and swimming...it's not too bad. $20 for non water front sites, $25 for on the water. Since it's close for me, I don't mind paying a little more to avoid driving somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast