Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Daughter is ready to hang...need another hammock!

I've been teasing my daughter with going hammocking with me and the Mrs. and now she's ready to do it. I have an ENO Double and so does my better half.

I am planning on giving my Doublenest to my little girl. She's 7 and will grow into it nicely.

I've never had a complaint about the Doublenest BUT is there another hammock I should purchase rather than that one?

Right now I've got a ring buckle suspension on both but I am going to go whoopie slings on the new hammock to experiment. I also have a CRL on my Doublenest that is an adjustable whoopie.

So now that you know my current setup what do you all think??

Just get another ENO Doublenest or what??

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Maybe a Hennessy Scout? It's short so I have one for my almost-6-y-o son. Of course, he's never used it because he keeps jumping in my Light Hiker.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Maybe a Hennessy Scout? It's short so I have one for my almost-6-y-o son. Of course, he's never used it because he keeps jumping in my Light Hiker.
    I was thinking about getting a hammock just for her, but she'll need a larger one in a couple years. So I'm using it as an excuse to get a new one for myself.

So far I don't see much that will suit me better than an ENO Doublenest. I don't need a skeeter net and am going to use a ridgeline for gear storage.

I guess I like to keep it simple?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love my ENOs and so do my kids. They are very durable and with a set of whoopies attached they are a breeze to set up. I find that they are very comfortable and a nice change from all the grays and greens and browns that you see.

But, I was down at the river today with my kids playing in the stream. I put up my ENO and then noticed skeeters landing on me. I'm alergic - big ole bumps. I took it down and put up my WBBB.

You may not ever use the bug net, but it's nice to have if you go on a drive or hike to somewhere buggy. Around here in August, the black flies swarm you on a trail. I'll be taking my WBBB's, not the ENOs.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Rod,
    I totally understand. BUT I've never had a bug issue here in the NC mountains. I'd hate to have an issue and not be able to remedy it!

I also love the openness of the ENO when I'm in it.

Maybe a removable bugnet is where it's at?

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Most of the hammocks I have been looking at have a bug net that can be removed or stowed when not needed. Clark's, the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock, and Switchbacks all have a bug net that can either be unzipped and stuffed in to a pocket, or just moved out of your way.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I had got both my kids a Hennessy Scout zipper model... and have ended up using a Scout more than my Expedition.5'8" 185...
    They fun $70.00 with out a tarp.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I actually have a Treklite Double (much like the ENO it seems). I got a WBBB after that because without it I'd probably be the first mosquito bite fatality involving blood loss I absolutely LOVE the footbox. So that became my camping hammock for the most part.

That being said, anytime I just want to hike around the corner and set it up to relax for a few hours, or if mosquitos aren't there, I'm using the Trek light. If you really don't need the Mosquito Net then I think that is all you need. They are very similar, so just to compare,

ENO: 6' 8" x 9' 10", 22 Oz
    TL: 6' 6" x 10' 0", 20 Oz

Very similar

Enjoy!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    It appears to me that you have been hanging in your ENO without any bug net at all. With no problems I am assuming. It also sounds like you generally plan to camp with your family in fair weather, so a tarp is not necessary as well...yes?

Otherwise I would definitely suggest something with a bug net. Me personally, I hike in areas where there are a ton of mosquitoes. Maine is pretty much mosquito and black fly capital. So a bug net and the bottom entry seemed very important to me. But I have never been to North Carolina. Maybe the mosquitoes are not so bad where you camp. In which case stick with the ENO or maybe try something new like the WB Traveler where they are cheaper in cost and no bug net. A Tarp may be unnecessary for you (not sure just guessing from context here), but if you ever decide to get one you already have a CRL, and there are plenty of good tarps out there.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for the input....gotta have a tarp though. It isn't rainy all the time here but it can hit out of nowhere and dump inches of rain in an hour sometimes.

Summer thunderstorms are inevitable!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast