Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    It was nice to run into you on the trail Rainman. You caught me at a good point on this trip. I even had a smile on for the picture. Wasn't too long after that picture that I started feeling bad. Sweating. More sweating. So much sweat that while I was walking you could hear the squishing sound coming from inside my boots. I was able to ring the water out of my boots when I got to camp the first night. Second day was more of the same with lots of elevation gain and loss.... and sweat loss. Couldn't drink enough water (loss 14 lbs in 2 days of hiking ) . We pulled in to Cane Brake and I determined then that I was not going to make it to Bad Creek Access. Luckily, a buddy's cell phone was able to access the internet where I was able to retrieve Swampfox's phone number and he was able to retrieve me and 3 others by boat. We did have 2 that did complete the hike but they were miserable and got caught in the Sunday storms while hiking out.

I completely agree with you that its better to know when to say when than to push on and risk personal health. My hats off to you for knocking out 62 miles, that is spectacular. However, I most admire your presence to know that its ok to come back and finish at a later date. I now have the small section from Cane Brake Access to Upper Whitewater Falls to complete as well as from HWY 178 to Table Rock. If I am free I might join you for that last section. Keep me posted
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    It was nice to run into you on the trail Rainman. You caught me at a good point on this trip. I even had a smile on for the picture. Wasn't too long after that picture that I started feeling bad. Sweating. More sweating.
    Yep, sweat was dripping off my hat brim so fast, every time I bent over to catch my breath, that it was almost a steady stream at times. I sure look better in that pic than I felt and was happy to get off the trail about an hour later.

We pulled in to Cane Brake and I determined then that I was not going to make it to Bad Creek Access. Luckily, a buddy's cell phone was able to access the internet where I was able to retrieve Swampfox's phone number and he was able to retrieve me and 3 others by boat.
    That is great. Also means you did "Heartbreak Ridge." And I'm not even sure it was the worst part. Glad Swampfox was able to come get you.

I now have the small section from Cane Brake Access to Upper Whitewater Falls to complete as well as from HWY 178 to Table Rock. If I am free I might join you for that last section. Keep me posted
    That would be great, if I can only remember to post it here. I post hikes at least at three different places, so it's hard to keep up with them all. But would be glad to have you join us. I'm going to aim for the fall.

The gal (Stambler) in our group, who did finish the trail, said there was no water going over Sassafras and it was 110 heat index on Saturday. But she got up very early, got water, and finished by 1:00. She got to watch the sunrise as she hiked up the mountain. She thru-hiked the AT just last year, so is a very strong hiker.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Beautiful pictures Rain Man. I looked at every picture and read every caption. You certainly saw everything... turtles, spiders, turkeys, bear, waterfalls, a beautiful lake, butterflies, flowers, and more species of mushrooms than I have ever seen. It sure looked like a great trip and you ate better than most backpackers I know. It's all in the planning.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Great pictures and report... It has been a heck of a heatwave here the last couple weeks and I commend you and your group for how far you made it Congrats... Glad to see the work that has been done at Burrells For too... Long overdue IMO
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Beautiful pictures Rain Man. I looked at every picture and read every caption. You certainly saw everything... turtles, spiders, turkeys, bear, waterfalls, a beautiful lake, butterflies, flowers, and more species of mushrooms than I have ever seen. It sure looked like a great trip and you ate better than most backpackers I know. It's all in the planning.
    I promise you I didn't post nearly all the mushroom photos I took. The album would have been huge. We also saw two nice snakes, but didn't get photos of them. And yes, I enjoy the planning!

As Horace Kephardt wrote in the early 1900s (I have the 1933 edition of his book "Camping - A Handbook for Vacation Campgers and Travelers in the Wilderness"), from the preface --

"Solomon himself knew the heart of man no better that that fine old sportsman who said to me 'It isn't the feller who's [hiking and camping] that's having the good time: it's the chap who's getting ready to do it.' " So true! LOL

It helps to find so many NICE people online, who also love hiking and have such generous, helpful spirits, and who enjoy being part of the adventure.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Sassafras Mtn this weekend? 9/17-18

In July the heat and running out of time ran us off the Foothills Trail after 62 miles, with just 14.2 miles left to go. This weekend we go back to finish what we started. Anybody want to join us?

Four of us are driving down from Nashville on Saturday to Laurel Valley/US Hwy 178. We will hit the trail there and hike as far up Sassafras Mtn as we can get that evening.

On Sunday, we'll hike down Sassafras to Table Rock State Park, probably shower and have lunch at a friend's house (who lives nearby), and drive back to Nashville that evening.

Weather looks MUCH better for this weekend, than in July. Anyone know if there's any water on Sassafras?

Rain Man

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Hike

Make sure you carry water. It has been real dry around here. Have a good time I'll be at the game.
    BigRed77

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Water

I know theres water before you get to Drawbar Cliffs. Seems around Chimmney Top go down road and there Is logging road that eads to water campsite. See guide book.
    Ron

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed77 View Post
    Make sure you carry water. It has been real dry around here. Have a good time I'll be at the game.
    BigRed77
    On good thing about hiking in ACC country is getting ACC games on pocket radio while hiking. But alas, the Clemson game should be over by the time we hit the trail. Guess I'll have to inflict it on my fellow hikers in the car with me?! LOL

Rain Man

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Guess I'll have to inflict it on my fellow hikers in the car with me?! LOL.
    As an SC grad, I must say that there's nothing your friends could have done to deserve that!

JK, I actually pull for Clemson mostly. I want them to win every game...except for one! If it's been as dry there as it has been north of Atlanta, I would carry some extra water bottles.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast