Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Some friends of mine are joining me for a 3 day FHT hike starting at Laurel Fork Access and heading west to Bad Creek Access. Maybe our paths might cross? We are looking to leave early Friday morning, unless I get an offer for an interview, and will be out until Sunday evening.
    Right now our very rough, tentative schedule is Monday night at Burrell's Ford, Tuesday night at Whitewater Falls/Bad Creek area, Wednesday at Cane Brake or probably a campsite east of there, Thursday night near Chimney Top Gap.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 07-16-2011 at 17:49.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Some friends of mine are joining me for a 3 day FHT hike starting at Laurel Fork Access and heading west to Bad Creek Access. Maybe our paths might cross? We are looking to leave early Friday morning....
    Just thought I'd let folks know that my path and Muskrat's paths did cross Friday morning just south (west?) of Laurel Creek/Hwy 178 trailhead. So nice to run into a fellow hiker in the flesh!

It was the morning of our 5th day and the heat had worn me down so badly, that we ended our hike shortly thereafter, at Hwy 178, after 62 miles. I have 14 miles left, over Sassafras Mountain, to do some day to complete the Foothills Trail. In pic below, Rain Man is in white shirt, Muskrat in blue shirt.

I'll be posting a link to photos and a trip report later on.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Sorry you had to cut it short but I do commend you for hiking 62 miles in the heat we have had here the last few days. I think a lot of people underestimate the FHT because it is technically not in the mountains. However, I have read journals of people that have hiked the trail after thru hiking the AT and commented on how difficult it is. I've backpacked all over and the Jocassee Gorges section really kicked my tail. Either way, when you have a heat index of 110 I would say that any hike is difficult. Glad you made it out safely and I'm sure you'll be back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Good to hear from you Rain Man. Even with all your preparation, I was worried about you. 62 miles this past week is a phenomenal accomplishment in my book. Wish I could have hooked up with you along the trail but it just wasn't to be.
    I look forward to your trip report and pictures.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Even with all your preparation, I was worried about you. 62 miles this past week is a phenomenal accomplishment in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellD View Post
    Sorry you had to cut it short but I do commend you for hiking 62 miles in the heat we have had here the last few days. I think a lot of people underestimate the FHT because it is technically not in the mountains. However, I have read journals of people that have hiked the trail after thru hiking the AT and commented on how difficult it is.
    Perhaps I shouldn't say this before a few more days pass for better perspective, but I've hiked 1,000 miles of the AT, all in the South except for Katahdin, and this past week on the Foothills Trail was harder than any week I've had on the AT. I've never run into so many wooden steps and stairs.

On the other hand, I've never run into so much good water. We jumped in streams and/or the lake at least twice a day to combat the heat, sweat, and grime.

It's been two full days of R&R now and I'm pretty much back to normal, but it took that long.

Rain Man

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I commend you for hiking in this heat Rain Man! We hiked up to the top of Flint Mill Gap last weekend where it's cooler but on the way it was a hot & grueling climb. The relief of the Spring in a fern strewn Oasis at the top was worth it!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Wish I was back there but it's raining this morning and it's a welcomed relief since my A/C is out and the back yard has been my refuge.
    So I'm feeling your pain & gratitude of the trail.

Keep us informed of your progress!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    I agree with Swampfox, hiking in that heat and humidity was indeed a phenomenal accomplishment! You have every reason to stand tall Rainman. I'm just gald to see the FHT getting some recognition. It really is a challenging trail that offers incredible scenery. We're (Blue Ridge Backers) are doing it in October and hopefully will have cooler temps.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Foothills Trail

Good job Rainman. It's a tough trail. May do It again In Oct from Table Rock to Oconee. Also looking at AT. Keep Cool.
    BigRed77

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    The heat and humidity make any hike a lot less attractive. This time of year, I go as high in the mountains as possible. Last week on Standing Indian Mountain at 5000 feet the humidity was enough to be a bit uncomfortable. I was glad to be somewhere besides the valleys.

In March, the FHT is a real pleasure. I may thru-hike it again during Spring Break next year.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Photo album and "trip report"

Honestly, I did think that if we cut the hike short for weather-related and health safety reasons, it might stand as a good example for someone else to follow some day. I did not realize how much the heat had sapped the energy out of me. And that's not something you get back from one rest break.

My Foothills Trail photo album. 100 pics. My fellow hikers will probably add a few more. Almost all have captions, so those are a trip report of sorts.

Enjoy!

I already have two local Nashville hikers asking to go back in the fall to finish the hike.

Rain Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast