HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Post Foothills Trail in SC/NC July 18-23, 2011

Foothills Trail in SC/NC July 18-23, 2011

Hike the Foothills Trail in South Carolina with us. We'll leave Nashville on Sunday afternoon and drive to SC. We will hike Monday-Friday (and part of Saturday, if/as needed). This will be a strenuous pace. Return to Nashville on Saturday night.

The Foothills Trail is 77 miles, with lots of waterfalls, primitive camping, rivers, lakes, and (or course) mountains.

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

If you can not hike the entire week, but want to join us for a portion of the trail, there are road crossings where we could arrange that.

If interested, post reply or contact me via email or PM.

Also, if anyone has hints, suggestions, warnings, or helpful info, I'm all ears.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    This time of year?
    Hint #1 hire a sherpa to carry an air conditioner.
    Hint #2 dont carry food the whole way, shuttlers can bring food in half-way via
    Lake Jocassee
    Hint #3 plan on using that extra time on Saturday-many places you will want to linger
    for a while

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Rain Man,

Two places I recommend.
    Camp at the top of Laurel Fork Falls 8 miles west of the Laurel Valley Access.
    It's a short hike down to Lake Jocassee and you're going to love taking a dip in that cold, clear water. I was there 2 weeks ago and the lake is 3 feet below full pond and beautiful.

Plan to spend a relaxing evening on the Chatooga River just north of Burrells Ford. It would be a shame to come all this way and not spend one night there. Since you're hiking mid-week, I'd expect you'll have your pick of the sites.

Re-supply as MM suggested is a great idea. If you have a spare vehicle, you could park it at Bad Creek Access (A7a on the map) That's about as close as you'll get to mid-point.

Which direction do you plan to hike?

swampfox
    Last edited by swampfox; 07-09-2011 at 21:47.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Foothills Trail

Hey Rainman
    Did FT Oct last yr from Oconee to Table Rock. We did resupply at Bad Creek.
    We had alot of rain towards the end and Tornado warnings. We may do It again In Oct If we can't do AT In the Smokies. Since you are from around here you know about humidity and snake action. The week we did It It was the start of bear season. We had to walk right between a huge bear camp.
    Have fun and be safe.

BigRed

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    I would start at Table Rock and get the toughest sections out of the way first. I wouldn't worry about the heat too much if most of your group are year round hikers. Once you get to the Estatoe at Laurel Valley you'll have numerous opportunities to cool off in rivers or the lake. The Jocassee Gorges section will be your biggest challenge with the Cat Stairs and Heartbreak Ridge. But as I said before, you'll cross four major rivers in this section as well as being near the lake shore a few times. Since you're coming down on Sunday, I do recommend leaving a vehicle with supplies either at the Upper Whitewater parking or at the Bad Creek access. The Foothills Trail is an awesome and challenging trail, I'm sure you guys will enjoy it.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed77 View Post
    Hey Rainman
    Did FT Oct last yr from Oconee to Table Rock. We did resupply at Bad Creek.
    We had alot of rain towards the end and Tornado warnings. We may do It again In Oct If we can't do AT In the Smokies. Since you are from around here you know about humidity and snake action. The week we did It It was the start of bear season. We had to walk right between a huge bear camp.
    Have fun and be safe.

BigRed
    Hey BigRed, I'm doing the Trail in Oct as well with my backpacking group. Perhaps we can meetup. At this time there is only two of us signed up for it.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

FT

Hey Sheldon
    I check In at meetup group from time to time. We have 4 of us that plan on doing a trip 3rd wk Oct.
    Ron

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    THANKS for the recommendations so far. A little background. I was born-and-raised in Powdersville (that's Anderson County, SC), and practice hike here in Nashville in plus-one-hundred degree heat index with humidity. So, walking through hot liquid air dodging playful snakes is nothing new. I'll just take it easy. So long as there are enough water supply spots, we'll be fine. Any dry stretches?

Of the three of us so far, one thru-hiked the AT last year, one started this year, but had to get off in May after 500 miles due to parents' health, and I've just completed 1,000 miles a couple of weeks ago section hiking on the AT.

Also, my wife will be there, visiting the family and what-not for the same week. In fact, that's the reason I'm finally getting to do this hike, thus the timing of it too. So, we'll have built-in shuttlers for drop-off and pick-up. Though I'm intrigued by the idea of getting a food supply delivered by lake? Is that a suggestion?!

Again, thanks!
    Rain Man
    Clemson '75
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-10-2011 at 09:01.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Camp at the top of Laurel Fork Falls 8 miles west of the Laurel Valley Access. It's a short hike down to Lake Jocassee and you're going to love taking a dip in that cold, clear water.
    Is it possible to camp along the Lake, then, being so close anyway? Or is that campsite at the Falls the place we'd prefer? Both sound good!

Plan to spend a relaxing evening on the Chatooga River just north of Burrells Ford. It would be a shame to come all this way and not spend one night there.
    Sounds good. I once tubed the Chatooga, while in college at Clemson. This was pre-"Deliverance" days, if I recall correctly. But didn't I read that the Chatooga is a "no camping" zone?

Which direction do you plan to hike?
    That's a question I've had, though I like the idea of getting that big climb over with the first day. What's your recommendation?

Rain Man

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    You can park at Bad Creek There Is a side trail above Lower Falls to parking
    lot. Should be plenty of water because we have been geting rain every week.
    Toxaway Is the only camping area by lake. Bearcamp Creek Is a nice camping area. My uncle and father owned alot of property In the Jocassee Valley before lake. Go Tigers.
    Ron

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast