Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    Winplususa Fabric shade.jpg

I bought this last night. I just started cold weather camping with my HH. I just built an Undercover from an old Dome tent fly. This sloar shade does not have the bubble wrap in it. It has a fabric side and a mylar side. I'm just gona stuff it between me and the UnderCover and hope for the best. (Mylar side up).

Last Monday I had no undercover and slept through the low 30's this weekend it is suppose to get in the high 20's.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Let me know if those things work as well as say reflectix. I always thought those would make good heat reflecting pad.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    For the same amuont of $ I spent, you could buy the insul-brite stuff. The reflectix and bubble wrap solar shades are two stiff for my application. I want a radiant barrier with some insulation to go between my Undercover and my HH. All solar shades are narrow and this will prob slide out from under me. The reflectix comes in custom width's but I don't see it packing down like I want or staying in place. I would use the Insul-brite but I'm in a hurry and next month It will be 110 in the shade of my tarp in this Texas heat.

I'm going to experience my coldest camp out of the year this Friday. My favorite means of attacking the cold is a Steak Dinner Salad and Welch's and for dessert Dutch Oven Cherry Cobbler extra everything.

The four seasons of Sout East Texas: Almost Summer. Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp70 View Post
    For the same amuont of $ I spent, you could buy the insul-brite stuff. The reflectix and bubble wrap solar shades are two stiff for my application. I want a radiant barrier with some insulation to go between my Undercover and my HH. All solar shades are narrow and this will prob slide out from under me. The reflectix comes in custom width's but I don't see it packing down like I want or staying in place. I would use the Insul-brite but I'm in a hurry and next month It will be 110 in the shade of my tarp in this Texas heat.

I'm going to experience my coldest camp out of the year this Friday. My favorite means of attacking the cold is a Steak Dinner Salad and Welch's and for dessert Dutch Oven Cherry Cobbler extra everything.

The four seasons of Sout East Texas: Almost Summer. Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas!
    Man makes me miss Texas. Always loved the saying "If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes". I remember about 10 years ago when it was probably close to freezing around xmas but by new years we got a freak heat wave that brought it up into the 90s.

Images
    i found some heet/heat sheets awile back, they're quiet durable reflective on one side and 1/16" ocf on the other, i keep meaning to try it between the uq and the hammock.

this might be a good component to use if you can find it. seemed very durable and highly reflective while being quiet.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    I kicked the sewing machine last night. I was making my undercover out of some rip stop. The sewing machine kept making a rip stop sandwich. I finally broke a needle and went to bed. The weather is warming up due to cloud coverage. I really wanted to get below 30*. This morning it was 29* at 3:00 AM. Tonight the low is going to be at 6 AM Check out the Humidity 91%

3 AM 6 AM
    Temp (F) 32 31
    Dew Point (F) 27 29
    Humidity 81% 91%
    Wind 5 mph East 5 mph ESE
    Conditions partly cloudy partly cloudy
    Precipitation 0% 0%
    Cloud Cover 49% 54%

my first post here. i've got the hammock and the ultralight bug.

i use a byers mosquito hammock. it weighs less than 1lb (but no rain fly), although i also have a HH explorer.

my current fascination is with the space blanket thing. alot of people use all kinds of underquilts, pads, quilts etc. but for the weight i'd rather just use my tent and ground pad which totals about 3.5 lbs. my hennesey weighs that almost by itself with no insulation or accessories. i also like the byers because it opens along the side. thus being a long rectangle it is much more suited to using a space blanket.

i have used the SB with some success, down to about 45-50f with no other insulation other than my sleeping bag, which was lightweight. i attach it to the outside since anything in my hammock under me is not an option (i toss and turn alot and have a bad back). i attach it with safety pins, and i attach high quality electrical tape to the spots on the SB that will be under any stress (like the safety pin points).

right now the ends of the SB are attached to elastic, so that the end makes pleats that form to my hammock. other methods i have tried end up leaving too much air space or tear the SB material.

don't know if any of this helps, maybe it will give some ideas. the idea of adding a second layer to the bottom of my hammock to stuff assorted insulation in is new to me, i'll have to try it...

edit: IMPORTANT: i was just messing with this again last night and found a "cold spot". turns out it was where the SB was touching the hammock skin. to make this work there must be an air gap. hang the space blanket loose. if you sew it on you'll have cold spots along the seams! you may have to have a buddy hop in your hammock while you inspect it to find any tight spots. this assumes of course you're using this setup in a semi-permanent fashion.
    Last edited by 4saken; 01-25-2009 at 10:04.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    It's well documented on this site an air gap is a must. The strength of the space blanket is an issue. You prob. checked out the Super shelter for the HH's. The extra weight is justified when you can add more layers than just a space blanket. Have you thought about getting out of that sleeping bag and making an under/over quilt? If your carrying all of your bedding that you use when you use your tent/tarp, the tent will prob be lighter.

Your temp range is prob close to mine. I can get away with minimum insulation only requireing a little heat retention. I hate the weight penalty that offers me 20* protection when I rarley get into the mid 30's.

Hammock
    Hennesy expedition
    Tarp
    Campmor
    Insulation
    Mylar spaceblanket
    I use a HH expedition and carry a light space blanket for those weather surprizes. Hang it under the hammock to trap a layer of warmth there. The first time I used it only had duct tape. It would only hold about 3 hours so lots of retapeing. Now I use the smallest size paper clips that look like spring clamps. It must be set up loose as the HH expands as you get in and move around. Kept me okay on nights when frost was all over in the AM.

If you have a ridgeline just use the grommets in the ALL WEATHER blankets over the hammock, over the ridgeline and down the other side.

Usea taught line hitch to keep it from moving. Do this on both ends and it will stay put. You can tape or tack some rubbery or non slip material to the space blanket to keep it from sliding.

A friend of mine was freezing his butt off in his hammock one night and this is what I did for him. He got hot and had to unzip his sleeping bag 20 minutes later.

It was roughly 15 degrees out that night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast