Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    I used a HEET heat sheet and tossed a hand warmer on top of it between the sheet and the hammock bottom and man it was roasty toasty all night. I also used paperclips to attach to the hammock.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    This is my first post. In all the reading of this site, I very rarely see Reflectix mentioned as an under pad. Its a thermal barrier resisting something like 95% of heat (or cold) transfer. 2 Sheets of mylar with bubble wrap in the middle. I use it inside my Clark NA, and Parrot Bay hammocks, and stay cozy. It weighs next to nothing and costs around $18 for a 2ft X 25Ft roll at Maynards. I am simply incredulous at the lengths some people go to to construct under quilts etc to stay warm. I am thinking of using the 4ft wide for the parrot bay or skeeter beater pro hammocks, since they will accept the wider stuff. The thought being that the wider reflectix will wrap around you and there should be no cold spots to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    This is my first post. In all the reading of this site, I very rarely see Reflectix mentioned as an under pad. Its a thermal barrier resisting something like 95% of heat (or cold) transfer. 2 Sheets of mylar with bubble wrap in the middle. I use it inside my Clark NA, and Parrot Bay hammocks, and stay cozy. It weighs next to nothing and costs around $18 for a 2ft X 25Ft roll at Maynards. I am simply incredulous at the lengths some people go to to construct under quilts etc to stay warm. I am thinking of using the 4ft wide for the parrot bay or skeeter beater pro hammocks, since they will accept the wider stuff. The thought being that the wider reflectix will wrap around you and there should be no cold spots to deal with.
    Well, you keep hammocking in the cold and you'll most likely see the light (or feel the warmth) on the UQ thing. I've used reflectix as a sit pad/leg insulation with my shortened (60 in) JRB Nest. It is warm, but it tends to slide around a bit as a leg pad. That property may make it work fine as a full length pad. The problem I've had with evazote is, once you get on top of it, it ain't moving at all.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Here's an interesting site I just found:

http://windowoutdoors.com/WindowOutd...eat%20Loss.htm

"The emissivity of the surfaces between the two layers (i.e., on either side of the air gap between the clothing layers) is varied from 0.1 (aluminized space blanket material) to 0.95 (garbage bag, nylon, most other fabrics). The low infrared emissivity "space blanket" coating reduces heat loss by less than 10%. This is worth doing if there is no weight penalty, but for the most part, the space blanket with the aluminized layer pointing inward is not significantly warmer than a cheap heavy duty garbage "lawn and leaf" bag as an emergency shelter. Protection from the wind, and having an extra layer with stagnant air inside are much more important than the emissivity. As an interesting aside the emissivity would be more important in a thick outer layer, thin inner layer clothing system because the air gap is warmer in this situation."

So, there may be better materials (without the sound effects of a space blanket) to use for increasing the warmth factor.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Some folks have been experimenting with using both... a space blanket inside, and a very thin plastic sheet outside everything.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234