Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7

Smile Bridge hammock question from a Newbie

Hello All,
    Really enjoying this site and the wealth of information. I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new WBBB. However, now I am questioning whether a bridge hammock might be better for me.
    I am 6'1" and about 250 lbs., and tend to move and shift a bit while sleeping. I typically wind up on my side. Everything I've researched on the WB sounds great, except that wall of material on my right side.
    I've looked through some of the posts on bridge hammocks but am confused on who's bridge might do the job. I would rather a hammock a bit too large than coffin like in size.
    Any suggestions, or past thread links would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    I'm a very satisfied bridge hammock user. At home in my bed I tend to be a side sleeper and I do move around a bit in the night. But in the bridge I feel so comfortable on my back that I don't end up moving around during the night. Side sleeping is sort-of possible in a bridge but I think you'll end up liking back sleeping better.

Bridge hammocks are very comfortable but not very roomy it's true. "Coffin-like" sounds a bit harsh but I can see where the comparison comes from.

Here's my suggestion. Start with a gathered-end hammock (perhaps a diy). If you find that you aren't quite comfortable enough then try the bridge. It's a step up in terms of comfort but it comes at the cost of some roominess and the weight of the spreader bars.

I like my gathered end hammocks and often take them on hikes. But when I need to sleep well on the trail I take my bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    I'm a very satisfied bridge hammock user. At home in my bed I tend to be a side sleeper and I do move around a bit in the night. But in the bridge I feel so comfortable on my back that I don't end up moving around during the night. Side sleeping is sort-of possible in a bridge but I think you'll end up liking back sleeping better.

Bridge hammocks are very comfortable but not very roomy it's true. "Coffin-like" sounds a bit harsh but I can see where the comparison comes from.
    I have tried several gathered end hammocks (DIY, ENO, Ticket to the Moon, Clark NA, HH Explorer, and WBBB) and found that I prefer the bridge. I have a Eureka Chrysalis and a DIY bridge. I like both and can sleep on my side in either, but usually find myself on my back. I believe the only other commercially available bridge (besides the Chrysalis) is the JacksRBetter Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock (JRB BMBH). Many like it. I've only been in my brother-in-law's for a few minutes but found it comfortable. He loves it.

FWIW, I'm 6'1" and ~200#.

If you try the BMBH and don't like it, I think you'd easily be able to unload it on HF. Or if you find it confining, you could DIY your own to whatever width you think would work. GrizzlyAdams has some excellent video tutorials for making your own bridge. TeeDee also has a good tutorial.
    Last edited by BER; 07-10-2011 at 23:25.

Images
    In my experience so far, there are pros and cons. The bridge hammocks are, for me, the hands down winners when it comes to guaranteed leg comfort every time without worrying about "sweet spots". IOW, zero calf pressure and zero knee hyper-extension, always. Also, guaranteed side/waist comfort while side sleeping, always. Much more guaranteed than with most non-bridge. Really, for most of those areas, there is often no comparison. Conversely, many a person has had major problems with calf pressure or knee hyper-extension in various non-bridge hammocks. (Or, less often, problems with side sleeping) The calf pressure/knee problem can USUALLY be dealt with, but it is a common (non-bridge) problem none the less.

But unfortunately, that is not the entire story. I think the non-bridge hammocks are generally more comfortable and roomy in the shoulders. And if you need a deep fetal position, you can just about forget it with a bridge hammock, though I can get in a slight to moderate fetal. The spreader bars are something to keep up with, and will require a wider tarp and wider pitch or tarp pull outs to avoid the bars hitting the tarp and maybe poking a hole. The wider the bars, the more the shoulder comfort, but the potential tarp problems are increased.

So, pick you poison! There are some trade offs, and you really need to try both styles. You might be right at the weight limit for the JRB. But if you are a DIY type, a GrizzBridge is really sweet. The only flaw I can find- for me - with that design, is poor fetal position and spreader bar/tarp problems.

PS: I have or have tried a bunch of non-bridge hammocks, but NOT all. For example, I have not had the chance to try the Switchbacks, and only one version of the WBBB, etc. The above comparisons only apply to those I have tried.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-11-2011 at 09:23.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    for my 2c...

I started with ENO DN. At 6'1" I could never seem to get diagonal enough to avoid hyperextending my knees and would end up sleeping cross-legged. I also need a pillow in the ENO.
    I now use a Chrysalis and I LOVE it. I gave it some minor modifications to lighten it up a bit but it's a beautiful piece of hammocking engineering. I get a very flat lay, with no knee problems. I can roll over on either side easily. The tension under the header bar precludes the need for a pillow. There are storage areas at the head and foot end. At the head end I keep my glasses, iPhone (which I use as a flashlight), and a spare TQ in case I get cold. At the foot end I keep my feet. I use the foot storage area as a foot box. Gives me lots of room to stretch out. Also, because it's not a cinched-end hammock, it doesn't squeeze on my shoulders at all. When you have bursitis that's important.
    If you like to sleep balled up (fetal position) I'm certain the Chrysalis could accomodate you very comfortably.
    For insulation, I use a pad and a top quilt. The colder it gets the more layers I add. I stay warm and comfy.
    I've never tried the JRB Bear Mtn version, but from the pictures it's a completely different approach to hammocking. Albeit still a bridge design. On a side note - I 've only ever heard great stuff about JRB.
    The Chrysalis has an extremely close fitting tarp which is very functional but is claustrophia inducing for me. So I take it off or leave it bundled to the ridge line until it's absolutely necessary.
    I always recommend people come to a community event to try different hammocks. It's been my experience that people are eager to let others try out their rig. You can certainly try out my Chrysalis if you find yourself in sunny Florida.
    Good luck!
    HYOH
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    PS....

Welcome to HF!!

HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I toss and turn in a normal bed. Not so in a hammock. The fabric cradles your body, eliminating the usual pressure points.
    Bridges work and so do normal hammocks.
    My advice is try to experience both, as BB58 said, "they have their pro's and con's".
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to chime in here. I am loving this site. I am thinking about a DIY GrizzBridge but with size mods to make it larger overall. As for the tarp, I can make an oversized tarp to accommodate the larger size of the hammock. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Chuck View Post
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to chime in here. I am loving this site. I am thinking about a DIY GrizzBridge but with size mods to make it larger overall. As for the tarp, I can make an oversized tarp to accommodate the larger size of the hammock. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks
    Side pull-outs on the tarp really help with the spreader bars on a bridge.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Chuck View Post
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Side pull-outs on the tarp really help with the spreader bars on a bridge.
    Shug
    +1 what the Shugmeister said. Or you can use a tent pole mod to give additional space under your tarp.

• + New Posts